FWC Hawk - First Year Impressions

Spitfire

After our first camping season with our new Hawk, we took it off the truck and put it into storage in our garage for the winter. We're not diehard winter campers and until we retire we really don't have the vacation time to go south during the winter. I bought a flat bed trailer to put it on and it just fits into my garage once I took the jacks off. That's one of the reasons I bought the Hawk in the first place as we don't have a large garage and I wanted to be able to store it inside and didn't want to pay for inside storage somewhere.

Overall our first year went very well and we learned quite a bit about what works for us and what doesn't. The truck/camper combination worked well. For those who don't know, we bought a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD specifically to haul the camper. No complaints whatsoever with the truck. I'll go over some general comments about our first year and the options we bought.

1) Organization - Probably the biggest struggle we had was with interior storage and organization once we set up camp. It took us a while to find the right combination of things to bring and how to store them between uses. We got a lot better as the year went on.

2) Mattresses - I'm sure most people know the standard FWC mattress leave a lot to be desired and it took a few trips (and some money) to find something that worked. We ended up buying 2 Exped Comfort MegaMat 10 sleeping pads at REI. At 219 bucks each they weren't cheap but I got them on sale and I had some dividend money left. One good thing is that 2 of them fit perfectly together on the queen size pullout bed. I have to move them around when I put the top down but it's not too bad.

3) Roof lifter - I ended up buying one of those speaker jacks from guitar center. I screwed a wooden closet rod end onto each lifting panel to fit the end of the jack in so it doesn't slip. Worked great.

4) Exterior Lights - I bought every optional exterior light FWC offered. Didn't really use them a lot as I used flashlights most of the time. Maybe I'll use them more in the future.

5) Awnings - Bought both side and rear. Never used the rear awning after the first trip as it's not super easy to install plus it's pretty large to store when you're not using it. Used the side awning a few times. If I had to do it over again, I would get the side awning but not the rear one.

6) Cassette Toilet - This worked well for those times we had to go in the middle of the night so we didn't have to leave the camper. My wife absolutely loved it. We usually used other facilities the rest of the day so we normally got two+ days before the tank filled up.

7) Inside shower - Wasn't sure how this would work but we ended up using it on almost every multi-day trip. Took a while to figure out the best sequence to get everything set up and getting the interior organized helps (see item 1) but worked pretty well once set up.

8) Refrigerator - Defintely a thumbs up. We got the 110L compressor fridge. Worked great and kept all the food cold. One thing to worry about is packing it properly if taking it off pavement as stuff can get knocked around pretty good in there if you don't.

9) Sink - Worked well except the drain using the graywater container would get backed up sometimes. Had to mess with hose to get it going again.

10) Hot water - Tank would heat up pretty quickly.

11) Fresh water tank - Capacity seemed to be enough for about 2- 3 days.

12) Stove - Worked well when we used it but only used it a couple of times as we did almost all our cooking outdoors.

13) Furnance - Worked well when we used it. Not super quiet but wasn't too bad.

14) Power system including solar - This is the one area where I might have to do something different next year. My wife uses a CPAP which runs on a 12V adapter and between that and the other power requirements (Fridge, furnace, lights, etc) we would take the batteries down pretty far by the third day sometimes. This happened in places where we didn't drive anywhere once parked and the solar charging due to clouds or heavy forest wasn't too great. The last trip I ran the truck for half an hour but I'm not sure how much that helped. I don't want to put a lot of money into it since it worked fine in those situations where I drove the truck or got a lot of sunlight.

Overall the camper worked great and more than met our expectations. Our dog really enjoyed it too because as soon as we started to load the camper she'd get all excited. I definitely look forward to further adventures. Big thumbs up to FWC for making a great product.

Nice InformationaL Writeup Spitfire, I Believe We Purchased Our Hawks The Same Week...(Not Sure Why This Phone Keeps Placing Caps On Each Word)

Btw, Can You Elaborate A Bit More On #3 Please? Now You Have Me Very Curious, Roof Lifter, Speaker Jacks? ?

Spitfire said:
. Our dog really enjoyed it too because as soon as we started to load the camper she'd get all excited.
So do we! :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. That is very helpful and appreciated!

Here's a little more information about the charging system. I asked Terry at FWC what the battery lights meant on the monitor panel trying to correlate them with the battery status LED's on my SunSaver6.

Here's a portion of what Terry said: "On the monitor panel, when it reaches the 2 light it would be time to start your truck or plug in to recharge the battery. If it goes to 1 light it is so low, that starting the truck to recharge is too late. Once it drops below 12.3 volts the battery separator won’t stay connected to allow the charging system on the truck to recharge the battery in the camper."

With voltage falling the SS6 goes from a GREEN light to YELLOW at 12.1V. What that means is the house batteries can't be charged by running the truck. When the yellow light comes on with voltage falling, the house batteries need to get enough charge from the solar panel or shore power to get them back above 12.3V for truck charging to work.

After our first 2 week trip in our new Hawk / GMC Sierra 2500 combo, I agree with so much of your list. Spoke with a Lance camper couple and mentioned we were still trying to figure out how to organize things after 3 days. He said he's been trying to work out better organization for 17 years. It's a process I guess.

We didn't get the rear awning because it just looked too hard to set up and so we wouldn't use it unless it was raining real hard when we wouldn't want to go out and set it up. I've since wondered if that was the right choice but you make me think it was.

Glad you are enjoying your rig.

Alan

JHa6av8r said:
"On the monitor panel, when it reaches the 2 light it would be time to start your truck or plug in to recharge the battery. If it goes to 1 light it is so low, that starting the truck to recharge is too late. Once it drops below 12.3 volts the battery separator won’t stay connected to allow the charging system on the truck to recharge the battery in the camper."
Wow....that I did not know. Thanks for posting.
I assumed a running truck would charge the batteries no matter what.

Confusing, this electrical magical mystery tour.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7902-battery-tender-question/

That's real interesting about the recharging. I too thought you'd get some charge from the truck no matter what if the engine's running. On the trips where I took the batteries down low I definitely got some charging on the ride home from the truck. Not sure what the voltage level was but it was defintely down to one light.

If the above is really happening then that's not a good thing in my opinion and you'd be better off using the trailer/rv circuit already wired into the truck if you have it. It's already seperated once you turn the ignition key to off and that is when it's important. It's voltage regulated and will always charge the battery...at least on my rig. Makes me think when I add a 2nd battery (if needed), I need to rethink how FWC has it set up.

Thanks for sharing your impressions and experiences with your new FWC. We are about halfway through our first year in our Eagle and, like you, are extremely satisfied.
Regarding charging the camper battery from the pickup - on a brief trip this past week I left the fridge on DC overnight (doh!), needless to say the camper battery was completely dead (no little red lights at all). A day later I drove about 3 hours to the next camp and the indicator lights showed a full charge in my camper battery. The separator allowed the pickup to charge my auxiliary battery even though the camper battery was drained completely. Another anecdote to add more murk to the mysteries of electricity!

JHa6av8r said:
Here's a little more information about the charging system. I asked Terry at FWC what the battery lights meant on the monitor panel trying to correlate them with the battery status LED's on my SunSaver6.

Here's a portion of what Terry said: "On the monitor panel, when it reaches the 2 light it would be time to start your truck or plug in to recharge the battery. If it goes to 1 light it is so low, that starting the truck to recharge is too late. Once it drops below 12.3 volts the battery separator won’t stay connected to allow the charging system on the truck to recharge the battery in the camper."

With voltage falling the SS6 goes from a GREEN light to YELLOW at 12.1V. What that means is the house batteries can't be charged by running the truck. When the yellow light comes on with voltage falling, the house batteries need to get enough charge from the solar panel or shore power to get them back above 12.3V for truck charging to work.
That's good info to know.I also have run the battery low,but the truck has charged it back up.The bottom light was on,RED one.
Have no idea as to what the voltage was.
Thanks
Frank

Nice report Spitfire. Thanks for sharing.

Question on # 3 Are you using the "speaker" jack to lift the Front?. the Rear?, or both?

If Front, do you have a picture showing what the bottom is resting on.

Keep the reports coming in and congrats on your first year. I am looking at a Hawk as well and I notice a couple of you here have a hawk with a 3/4 ton truck. Would you have any concerns about putting it on a 1/2 ton?

RC Pilot Jim said:
Nice report Spitfire. Thanks for sharing.

Question on # 3 Are you using the "speaker" jack to lift the Front?. the Rear?, or both?

If Front, do you have a picture showing what the bottom is resting on.
I use it for both. I don't have a picture of the jack in use but I have a self contained model so it has the front dinette with the raised shower pan between the seats:
img_87208_6_b4343c7d73f9cb4cbeb7390f64e20b81.jpg

I put the jack on top of the shower pan. I have to move the table first. I also took apart my old Weber grill and used the side tables which are made out of a hard plastic for use in the camper. I use one to put on the floor or shower pan to place the bottom of the jack and I also use them for the gray water containers so they they don't sit directly on the ground.

Thanks Spitfire.
I have been researching moving the inside struts to the outside to give me more room in the cabin as Eagles are a little cramped at 67" wide x 84" long. Marty at ATC in Sacramento will install them for $375 for front and back or about half price for one end. Maybe the "speaker" jack is a better (cheaper) solution.

Timothy McGowen said:
Keep the reports coming in and congrats on your first year. I am looking at a Hawk as well and I notice a couple of you here have a hawk with a 3/4 ton truck. Would you have any concerns about putting it on a 1/2 ton?
No Issues With My Half Ton.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Thanks Spitfire.
I have been researching moving the inside struts to the outside to give me more room in the cabin as Eagles are a little cramped at 67" wide x 84" long. Marty at ATC in Sacramento will install them for $375 for front and back or about half price for one end. Maybe the "speaker" jack is a better (cheaper) solution.
We originally bought the speaker stand (jack) for our 1984 Keystone which had no lift struts (we ordered it from Guitar Center). It worked great. Now we use it for our 2009 Keystone that has lift struts because we have the full length Yakima racks and put things like our kayaks on top. The speaker jack still works great. We lift one end at a time and it is easy to use and stow when not in use.

In my opinion you really don't need the struts if you have the speaker jack.

Regards,

Craig

I picked a 3/4 ton for my Hawk because we wanted a lot of options and that put the wet weight pretty close to or over the legal load capacity of 1/2 ton pickups. If I had gotten a shell model then I would have gotten a 1/2 ton. A lot has to do with the conflict between your comfort level (physical and emotional) and your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom