FWC Hawk ( Generator Question )

inciter

Advanced Member
Hi All

I my Hawk is arriving the Aug 27! I forgot i Bought it for a while there.... I have a nice little Generator that will be used on outings and would love to know if I need anything that would help the Hawk plug in wise?

The Generator is the...

WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant.

816H7dl2GsL._AC_UL480_SR480,480_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-2000-Watt-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00SMNLF4M/ref=pd_lutyp_cxhsh_3_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00SMNLF4M&pd_rd_r=84afd582-2ed3-45c8-a188-bd5fea93265e&pd_rd_w=ISkgu&pd_rd_wg=DRxIw&psc=1&refRID=3MHKZC1X0J3BQ6A5HHEN

The Generator is a

Hello
I've been using a 1000 watt Honda generator to keep my Hawk batteries fully charged. I attach the shore power cord to the camper and plug it directly into the generator. Works like a charm.

Same here. Plug my 2000 watt Honda in when I am camping remotely and shade prevents adequate charging from solar. Simply plug an extension cord into the end of the shore power cord that is attached to the trailer. On average, I seem to get about 20-30 amps/hr when bulk charging with it.

If you don’t have an air conditioner, you could get by with a 1000 watt generator for charging. 30ish pounds versus a lot more.

Timely topic...
For those of you without an A/C how long do you typically have to run your generator to bulk charge the batteries (I understand that this will vary based on specs etc..). After being in the shade for a few days.

Inciter we purchased two of those generators to send to friends in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Maria and they worked flawlesly for two months of heavy use until they got their power restored.

I've been using the Honda EU2200I which is rated 2200W and 18.3A maximum output. 1800W and 15A rated for continuous operation.

As you calculate your electrical requirement, watts and amps, just remember that starting amps for an appliance is generally 3 times the amps required to operate the same appliance. Also, AC will generally require less watts/amps to operate than a furnace.

The bottom line, even the 2200 unit is not sufficient to operate all the appliances in the house (my Hawk) on the back of my truck at one time. I have to be judicious in what appliance(s) is operating when I start up another appliance. I use the 2500BTU Climate Right AC/Heater during the summer.

But, having said that, I generally use the generator to charge the house batteries and use it to run the Climate Rite AC at night. The Climate Rite 2500 BTU unit only draws 4.3A when operating so residual amperage is used to charge the house batteries overnight. I have no idea how long it takes to charge the batteries, I've never timed the charge time. I try to keep the house batteries in a highly charged state at all times. Doing so greatly increases the life of deep cycle batteries.

My deep cycle Blue Top camper batteries are now 3 years old and still going strong. My Blue Top trolling motor batteries generally last/replaced after 2 years since they get taken into a deep state of discharge darn near every fishing outing.

The major downside to the Climate Rite and Generator are their footprint and weight when stowing for travel. Since there is little to no dispersed camping east of the Mississippi, and access to most campgrounds is tramac or smooth gravel roads, I usually pull my Wells Cargo trailer with my motorcycle and all the other camping stuff inside the trailer and kayaks on top.

rollinrollinrollin
Love the Handle "
attach the shore power cord to the camper and plug it directly into the generator. Works like a charm.
" Thanks Man I was hoping it would be that easy! Cheers

#3 Ronanmd1

"On average, I seem to get about 20-30 amps/hr when bulk charging with it."

I'm hoping for that , My Wife rides with the other girls ( Horse Riding ) and us guys kick back a bit while they are gone. " Have to keep the fridge cold. ( Tent Camping stinks the older you get! ) I'm starting to see I have gone in the correct direction. Thumbs up!

@20 to 30 amps would be sufficient and I do like the shade.
Cheers as well!

Wandering Sagebrush
Hey! I thought the Oregon area was cooler, but you bring up a great point I have been showing her the AC portable units we could use but can't get her to bite just yet. In the end I will win that war and ask for recommendations. I thought Oregon was always wet and cold? :) to San Diego...

smlobx

"Inciter we purchased two of those generators to send to friends in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Maria and they worked flawlesly for two months of heavy use until they got their power restored."

I Saw that Mate... Lots of reviews in the Amazon list on that...Makes those reviews trust worthy.! " I hope they are doing better I understand it's been a tough row for them..

Advmoto18
Nice old Pup! Prestigious...

" The Climate Rite 2500" I will want to get a nice Heater AC unit, see them in other POPUPS sort of like the Turtles ( Hard Shells ) That would be nice here in San Diego area.... Ive look at some but not ready to bite just yet.

Pups Name?

I have to Say Thank you everyone for your replies, they mean alot to New upcoming owners, Cheers to All I answered to each reply in one bing one... Cheers... I know were to come for questions that's for sure.!

To the great Handle thanks

rollinrollinrollin

I Like that user name...
Happy Winter! Hope that makes you feel cooler. :)

I don't have a furnace I have a small electric heater I use this is it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ULR14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it on the low setting and about 1/2 way at that. I have it figured out to turn on and off with the temp with the over night lows in the high 40's to low 50's. At this setting it never pulls more than about 700 watts. My Honda 2000i coasts with everything turned on. Most of the time I run it in eco mode. When the heater kicks on it does rev up to full throttle. But with everything on I am right at 1000w or a bit over.
After this weekend I really wish I had AC.

Inciter...

That is Soli, our 9 yo black English Lab; we call her "SoSo".
SoSo came to live with us last November, after our girl (her sister) Sage passed away from brain cancer. A gracious gift from their breeder!

And we also now have Luna, a 10 month old English lab; we call her "LuLu"

I know, crazy names humans pick for their 4 legged companions!

2018-08-05_20.51.44.jpg

Back
Top Bottom