FWC Hawk Question

tomcoul

Hi new member here.

I'm looking at buying a newer Ford F250 supercab w/ 6.5' bed along with purchasing a FWC Hawk model. But, for this combination to work for me I have a question.

I carry my dual sport motorcycle on a receiver mounted carrier and with the bike in place will I be able to open the camper door enough to enter to take a quick nap while traveling?
With motorcycle carrier in place I have enough clearance on my older F150 that I can stand between the truck and motorcycle on open the truck toppers back window and also lower the tailgate about halfway down.

If entering the the camper with the motorcycle in place isn't possible, I'll need to rethink my vehicle purchase and consider a Ford Transit van instead.

Thanks,
Tom

You can answer that by measuring the distance from your bike to the bed of the truck and then subtracting any overhang of the bed by the Hawk....my WAG is that no, you probably will not have enough room to wiggle around the bike and through a partially opened door.

But I could be wrong...

Ps...I also ride two different dual sport bikes and taking them off the carrier only takes a couple of minutes if it is the ramp style carrier..

I might have my RakAttack swing out arm for sale. Swings out to driver side and that would solve your problem. Paid $375 2 years ago. You can PM me if you are interested and we can discuss price and location

I haven't purchased the Ford F250/ FWC Hawk yet to measure the clearance. I just need to open the camper door enough to slip inside to take a quick nap while traveling.

The motorcycle is on a Moto Jack Rack carrier (similar to Ultimate MX Hauler), and I really don't want to remove the bike at a truck stop/ rest stop to take a quick nap in the camper while traveling.

If you get a ATC camper they would happily move the door all the way over to one side which would allow you to open it further before it would Hit the hitch attachment.

IMG_0184.JPG

I would guess no. Maybe lowering the bike to the ground. Maybe. My friends hawk is shorter than my fleet, and he doesn’t push his all the way to the back of the truck bed. So maybe.... Maybe getting an extended hitch attachment, and use it only to slide the bike back to enter, then pushing closed for travel.

Cool part about the mx hauler/ moto rack jack is the cool step that is left in place when you pull the bike off. I can understand wanting to leave the moto in place overnight though.

Portercassidy said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0184.JPG

I would guess no. Maybe lowering the bike to the ground. Maybe. My friends hawk is shorter than my fleet, and he doesn’t push his all the way to the back of the truck bed. So maybe.... Maybe getting an extended hitch attachment, and use it only to slide the bike back to enter, then pushing closed for travel.

Cool part about the mx hauler/ moto rack jack is the cool step that is left in place when you pull the bike off. I can understand wanting to leave the moto in place overnight though.

"Moto Rack Jack"...new to me but it seems to lower the bike clear of the back of the truck and Hawk door in about 10 secs [video]...bike still mounted but lowered on the scissor arm....this seems very easy and minutes to lower and raise...

Even with the jack up it [the jack] seems to be below the truck bed a fair distance from the truck....I think you are good to go with a 6.5 foot bed and a Hawk.

Phil

First time I have seen the moto mule. That’s 3 different companies basically making the same product.

I also loop a soft tie down through the fork and strap it down to a different park of the frame underneath the truck to mitigate some of the rocking.

I usually have the bike covered while on the carrier and a strap running from the bike to the truck, so it makes it a little more complicated to just lower the bike. But, it's always an option if I can't open the camper door with the bike in place.

It looks like the Moto mule and the Moto jack rack are no longer available.
I have been wondering how well the ultimate hauler would work, I am not sure it goes low enough to get my dr350 on it, they do make a ramp version but I haven’t found any dimensions for it.

I don’t know what the rack attack swing arm is rated for but if it is similar to the Wilco Offroad one it would be overloaded unless the motorcycle is extremely light.

My MX hauler gets pretty low, but I do have to lift the moto occasionally to get it up on the rack. Good for maintenance (tire changing etc...). You can always park in a way to make the hauler lower to the ground. I have no complaints with it, It comes in handy. Especially if your buddy want to borrow it for whatever reason. The bottle jack on it needs to be refilled with oil once a season for me.

I have mx hauler rack an with the 7” extension at the hitch I can get in the door with the bike “up” although door only opens 1/2way
Looking for a travel cover anyone have suggestions I really don’t want to make one up!

hebegebe said:
I have mx hauler rack an with the 7” extension at the hitch I can get in the door with the bike “up” although door only opens 1/2way
Looking for a travel cover anyone have suggestions I really don’t want to make one up!

Would love to cart my WRR [not GSA!] around on the back of my Tundra, but that amount of weight [bike and hitch] plus being max'd out, over max actually, with the Hawk makes adding that much weight out the back much less than prudent for me...sometime in the future will purchase capable, small trailer for bike and sea kayaks [17' each]...adding only the tongue weight to the rear of the Tundra. Plus anything now carried by Tundra that can be transported by a trailer will add a small amount of weight to the tongue but remove much more weight from my GVW.

But the not available jack style seems the way to go....if, big if, they are rock solid when up with no movement..

Phil

The mx hauler rack was tested to 650# my husky is 320# abt the same tongue weight as my enclosed trailer. Towing is a pita, no off roading hauling the bike but that’s why I bring it!

Since my FWC is pretty light, I have not thought twice about using the MX hauler. I do know that adding an extension would put more torque on the towing package. I have been considering it since this thread came up though.

Stop for the night. Remove hitch pin, shuffle rack/bike out to another pin location, and set back into place (whatever I decide that is) when it is time to leave in the morning.

My bike was seriously 2” away from the door. And I had to crank on my strap to keep it from rocking towards the FWC. So I am pretty sure I will be looking at an small extension anyway.

I’ve had several of these hydraulic racks and the joints where each receiver join need to have the gaps tightened up with a weld bead ground down to make a tight fit on each male end. it makes the whole unit much more rigid

hebegebe said:
The mx hauler rack was tested to 650# my husky is 320# abt the same tongue weight as my enclosed trailer. Towing is a pita, no off roading hauling the bike but that’s why I bring it!
Wow, the MX Hauler is rated to 650 lbs. My Moto Jack Rack (heavy duty version) is only rated for 400 lbs. I also have a Kendon motorcycle trailer and It's sure easier with the bike on a receiver carrier, not having to think about parking issues.

hebegebe said:
I’ve had several of these hydraulic racks and the joints where each receiver join need to have the gaps tightened up with a weld bead ground down to make a tight fit on each male end. it makes the whole unit much more rigid
IMG_0223.JPG

MX hauler comes with a threaded end on the hitch pin. You can eliminate a lot of the wobble by tightening down the pin.

Back
Top Bottom