FWC Hawk solar

ottorogers

I have a 2015 Hawk model, I want to connect solar to the roof, it is prewired as we all know, there are two wires near the battery coiled up, with butt connectors ready to have wires connect to it, I assume those two wires are connected both to the roof connector, and the rear by the door connector for two different solar panel connections, my question is are those both wired together so you can connect the solar panel to either one of the two connection points, I’m also assuming the solar control panel can be mounted to the right of the sink just below??? I’m curious where others have mounted the controller and made connections ETC

ottorogers said:
I have a 2015 Hawk model, I want to connect solar to the roof, it is prewired as we all know, there are two wires near the battery coiled up, with butt connectors ready to have wires connect to it, I assume those two wires are connected both to the roof connector, and the rear by the door connector for two different solar panel connections, my question is are those both wired together so you can connect the solar panel to either one of the two connection points, I’m also assuming the solar control panel can be mounted to the right of the sink just below??? I’m curious where others have mounted the controller and made connections ETC
I guess the controller can be mounted above the batteries inside the battery box, totally out-of-the-way, why not?

Mount the controller as close as possible to the batteries to avoid voltage drop and use appropriate wire size. You need a ventilated location that has easy access so you can monitor the controller if it has indicator LEDS or adjustable settings.

I guess it depends on which controller you plan on using?
If you use one with a built in display, you may want to be able to see it. If it has a remote display or is bluetooth, mounting it in your battery box is good practice for short wire lengths and so that the temperature compensation is representative of the actual battery temperature.

rando said:
I guess it depends on which controller you plan on using?
If you use one with a built in display, you may want to be able to see it. If it has a remote display or is bluetooth, mounting it in your battery box is good practice for short wire lengths and so that the temperature compensation is representative of the actual battery temperature.
that’s exactly what I was thinking, however there is no Bluetooth connection, I can’t imagine needing to see the display on the controller very often, and all those lights will disturb us when we’re trying to sleep at night

Being able to see the display is kind of useful when you are trying to figure out what your actual solar yield is and can help you orient for maximum solar collection. Which controller did you end up with?

rando said:
Being able to see the display is kind of useful when you are trying to figure out what your actual solar yield is and can help you orient for maximum solar collection. Which controller did you end up with?
I decided to mount it so that it faces the open area of the camper, like you said so it can be seen, which would be useful at times I’m sure, I bought the number one rated flexible solar panel on Amazon, along with the controller that was recommended, both had very good reviews

Back
Top Bottom