FWC Hawk Weight

FairfaxFWC

Advanced Member
At the risk of being redundant, as this topic has probably been beaten to death...has anyone weighed their FWC Hawk? I have a 2008 with most options except solar, and when the weight of all options (as given to me by FWC) + the stated weight of the camper (as shown on the sticker by the back door) is totaled, it should weigh just over 1100 lbs. However, I just weighed my truck on a scale both with and without the camper (same scale, same day) and to my dismay the total was 1535 lbs! Has anyone else seen weights like this for their Hawks?

Thanks for your input.

At the risk of being redundant, as this topic has probably been beaten to death...has anyone weighed their FWC Hawk? I have a 2008 with most options except solar, and when the weight of all options (as given to me by FWC) + the stated weight of the camper (as shown on the sticker by the back door) is totaled, it should weigh just over 1100 lbs. However, I just weighed my truck on a scale both with and without the camper (same scale, same day) and to my dismay the total was 1535 lbs! Has anyone else seen weights like this for their Hawks?

Thanks for your input.

Hey Fairfax,
I am not surprised by your finding. I have a friend that did the same thing. He did not have all of the available options but he also was surprised by the total weight after options. (roughly 1400 lbs.) When I was ready to buy my camper I had already known about the weight issues, i.e. some advertise weights before installed options and others advertise total weight after completion. That is why the weight sales pitch became less important to me when choosing my camper. My decision was based more on the differences in amount of storage, the one piece carbon fiber roof, smooth sides and the quality of the fixtures and build quality and of course customer service. All of which I am completely satisfied. I do think some people get way too hung up on the weight issues.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Good Camping!

Wow, was that a dry weight and unloaded?
I guess my decision to go with a 3/4 truck is reinforced!

I guess my decision to go with a 3/4 truck is reinforced!

Same here X2. I orginally had my Hawk (loaded) mounted on a 1/2 ton Tundra. It is now mounted on a 3/4 truck.....and life is good.

Thanks for the reply's...very helpful. My truck handles the weight fairly well...much, much better than my T100 did. However, what I am bummed about is that the numbers given me from FWC and the actual weight don't add up. The sticker on the back of the camper says that the weight with full water tank, full propane tank, and I assume a model with no other options, weighs 740 lbs. Adding all the options that I have, plus a few extra lbs for my personal gear, the camper should weigh no more than 1200 lbs. So...something is amiss. Either the published weight of the camper and options is low, or....I don't know what elso could cause that kind of difference. I am certainly not accusing FWC of lying about weight, I am a huge fan of the company, product, owner and employees, but just surprised about the weight differences.

Yes, a 3/4 ton truck is clearly the way to go, but I am not yet willing to take a $60,000 gamble on new engines and new diesel technolgy at this time...will wait a few years till all the manufacturers have the kinks worked out.

I think FWC is pretty honest about weight. They are listing the weight of the camper and water tank. That's it.

The little things we throw in the camper really add up fast not to mention the factory accessories.

Take for instance the battery. I have two group 31 batteries that probably weigh 80 each for example. My two roof racks....Fantastic Fans....camper jacks....solar etc. really add up fast.

I think FWC is pretty honest about weight. They are listing the wight of the camper and water tank. That's it.

The little things we throw in the camper really add up fast not to mention the factory accessories.

Take for instance the battery. I have two group 31 batteries that probably weigh 80 each for example. My two roof racks....Fantastic Fans....camper jacks....solar etc. really add up fast.

When doing my research and speaking with FWC sales people they said I had to add weight of all options, i.e. fridge, furnace, water ..etc, not just the little things. When I started looking at campers, roughly five years ago, FWC used to have on their web-site to call for weight on options. Haven't looked since I bought my camper so I don't know if it is still there. That's is what prompted me to call them so I could compare apples to apples.

Thanks for your input.

I'd like to check the weight of my Hawk too. Where is a good place to find a truck scale, preferably at no cost. Landfill or refuse transfer stations?
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
05 F150, 06 Hawk
72 Jaguar XJ6
03 Jaguar S-Type

I'd like to check the weight of my Hawk too. Where is a good place to find a truck scale, preferably at no cost. Landfill or refuse transfer stations?
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
05 F150, 06 Hawk
72 Jaguar XJ6
03 Jaguar S-Type

The only public scale in Marin County that I have found is at the gravel quarry in Nicasio. It is located at 6800 (I think) Nicasio Valley Road, just past Rancho Nicasio headed West. You take a right through a gate/cattle guard and onto a dirt road. There really aren't any signs, just have to look for the road.

The only public scale in Marin County that I have found is at the gravel quarry in Nicasio. It is located at 6800 (I think) Nicasio Valley Road, just past Rancho Nicasio headed West. You take a right through a gate/cattle guard and onto a dirt road. There really aren't any signs, just have to look for the road.

Hi,
I know that quarry; however I did find a scale at the transfer station (dump)kiosk in San Rafael. No charge if you don't need a certificate. I weighed in at 7540 lbs with camper and family, half tank of fuel. When I start adding water, food,personal gear, and toys, I'll easily be over 8000 lbs while my GVWR is only 7200 lbs. I'll try to get a weight on the Hawk next time I take of the camper. Too bad they are not made lighter.
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
05 F150, 06 Hawk

Hi,
I know that quarry; however I did find a scale at the transfer station (dump)kiosk in San Rafael. No charge if you don't need a certificate. I weighed in at 7540 lbs with camper and family, half tank of fuel. When I start adding water, food,personal gear, and toys, I'll easily be over 8000 lbs while my GVWR is only 7200 lbs. I'll try to get a weight on the Hawk next time I take of the camper. Too bad they are not made lighter.
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
05 F150, 06 Hawk

Thanks for the info. about the dump station. I do need a certificate for a new truck bought out of state so I will give them a try. Yes, it is too bad they cannot be made lighter. I will probably be running about 500 lbs. over GVWR when fully loaded...at least. You really need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to have a chance of staying under the weight rating. Keep me posted if you do figure out the weight of your Hawk as I am curious.

Hmmm, they're about as light as anything you can get. Not sure how'd they'd make them any lighter. I'd be opposed to anything that would raised the price. Hard enough for people to get into now.

Hmmm, they're about as light as anything you can get. Not sure how'd they'd make them any lighter. I'd be opposed to anything that would raised the price. Hard enough for people to get into now.

Perhaps I'm just dreaming. However others are dreaming too; like Home Skillets carbon fiber thingy:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/7803-home-skillets-carbon-fiber-camper-thingy/

Seems like the only way to stay withing the weight spec to have a domestic 3/4 ton truck; unless maybe camping solo with a standard cab (no supercrew) shortbed. Maybe that is how the Tacoma trucks are getting by.

Dave H.

Thanks for your input.

I just found out my Hawk weighs around 1380 lbs. Mostly loaded, but no solar or jacks. The figure without water, and includes basic everyday gear and one camper battery but no food, personal gear, or toys.
Dave H.
Mill Valley, CA

I just found out my Hawk weighs around 1380 lbs. Mostly loaded, but no solar or jacks. The figure without water, and includes basic everyday gear and one camper battery but no food, personal gear, or toys.
Dave H.
Mill Valley, CA

Hey David H

That is the dry weight of my Hallmark Milner LX as well, and without solar. I did add a 10 ft. awning. It is basically loaded, minus A/C. Not to pick a fight or criticize any one company over another, but as I have said in prior posts, different manufacturers will tell you weights based on at what stage of the build they weigh their campers, i.e. weight before options...dry weight...finished weight etc. Weight certainly became less of a priority and wound up at the bottom of my list of why I made my choice (after researching campers for three years before buying). I knew, regardless of which of the three manufacturers I boiled it down to, I would be in the 13-1400 lb range with the options I wanted. I really made my choice based on the one piece carbon fiber roof, smooth sides, large windows at the dinette area, windows above the kitchen counter (I'm not referring to the windows in the pop up fabric), and the amount of storage over the others. In addition to those items, I just felt the quality of the fixtures and build were superior to others as well. I knew the 5.4 Triton would handle the weight just fine, and it has. As far as the weight on my F-150, it handles it just fine as well. I personally think there is too much emphasis put on the weight issue as you are going to have well over 1,200 pounds in the bed of your truck regardless of what you purchase. I could not afford a bigger truck, but am glad that my current truck has no issues hauling my camper to some very rough roads to beautiful places.

There are some great campers out there, and I hope my 2 cents worth will help somebody take a closer look if they are on the fence when making a difficult and expensive decision. Scrap the whole weight thing and get what you think will work best for you, and get out there and enjoy!

Good camping,

Paul

Thanks for your input.

I weighed my 2002 Ford F150 4X4 truck with and without my 2009 hawk
Without camper:5400 unattended and 5560 with 1 rider
with camper 7360 or 1960 lbs; with 1/2 tank of gas, otherwise fully ready for camping.
GVWR 6500 or roughtly 830 lbs overweight.
Had to upgrade to Ford F250 2wd to make it legal

From the factory weight itemized list with water and propane the camper is reported to weight 1251 lbs.
That would mean 1251+5400=6651 or 151 lbs overwieght before any camping gear and/or operator.

P
hil in San Leandro

Back
Top Bottom