FWC Head Liner Disintegration

mht

[I posted in the FWC forum but wanted to tap the talented resources here as well!]
Greetings,
The ceiling headliner in my '01 Granby is, little by little, turning into dust. From what I've read here it may be due to mold "eating" the material after it got wet. Now the reason it got wet was that FWC uses very course sheet metal screws which work themselves loose and allow rain/snow melt to enter. I have solved that problem by silicon sealing (the UV enhanced variety) all the screw heads. Unfortunately, through ignorance, I didn't do much mold prevention.

I doubt FWC will help me old with resolving the issue and so I'm looking for creative ways to install another liner w/o the $1000+ (plus travel expense) to rebuild the whole roof. The hardest part will be around the ceiling perimeter but I wonder if I could install wood trim around the edges just to keep the material stretched and give it a finished look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marty

how bout' a picture of the problem to give us an idea...

I already cut out the most affected areas but what happened was that the slightest pressure against the material would penetrate it. Thought I was just getting careless but large sections began to tear and hang down. Really, you can just touch it and it breaks down.
Got a reply from FWC on that forum which said they may have used inferior material at that time, really sorry, yada, yada.
Still might try to get them to cover it under some kind of warranty. I've got comp insurance on it so maybe the insurance company will treat it as water damage and pay for it.
Anyway, looks like a daunting job requiring a rebuild of the roof.

Marty

sorry to hear about that marty...hope for the best.

Marty,

I sympathize with you. After I bought my '98 FWC used, I noticed a large
quantity of mold up front. Although my headliner didn't disinegrate by looking at it, it didn't put up much of a fight coming down. Wet insulation due to a foam filled roof vent seems to be the culprit in my case. I just bought new headliner material from Ben at ATC for about $60. Hope to install it in a week or two. I've got my roof completely off the camper at the moment because of a rebuild I'm doing. If I can remember, I'll take some photos as I go and post them. Maybe the'll help, maybe they won't. Anyway.....Good luck!

Rick

Headliner

Marty,

Posted a reply to you on the other forum. If you get a chance, give me a call and I can go over what you can do on that and the new material that we are using now.

800-446-1003

This weekend would be a good time to call or after 7 pm tonight. I am swamped today with work.

Back
Top Bottom