FWC - hitch step options

Karlton

Hi all - I had done a fair bit of research on hitch mounted steps to provide easy access to my Hawk, Odi. There doesn't seem to be many options available. A common search result is the Brophy steps, which has 2 steps. There are other options for about $100.

I was looking for something for the long-term...I plan to have Odi for years, and I wanted something very stable. I came across Easy Hitch Steps, which do not show up in a lot of search results. The steps are spendy, about $300, but the build quality is great. The steps are rough so you won't slip, and wide making for easy in and out of the camper. I got the 3 step adjustable, and have to note that the steps do rock back and forth a bit in the hitch arm. I would suggest fixed steps if you consider, and I will probably have mine welded as I don't plan to adjust. The steps fold up, and I keep them in the hitch when traveling.

I have no affiliation with this company, but wanted to provide the group some info on what I think is a really solid option for steps. I only came across Easy Hitch Steps in one post on a forum, and really don't know if I would have found them otherwise. The company is based in SC, and the customer service was great.

steps.jpg
steps2.jpg

Thanks - that is a great idea. They rock a bit where the steps are bolted to the arm that attaches to the arm in the receiver. I'll see if I can make something work and avoid the welding.

I think Stan from FWC mentioned in another thread that they had done testing with these and they work well.

Just be careful driving with them in the hitch as in most (if not all) states it is illegal to have the license plate obstructed.

Andy Douglass said:
I think Stan from FWC mentioned in another thread that they had done testing with these and they work well.

Just be careful driving with them in the hitch as in most (if not all) states it is illegal to have the license plate obstructed.
You raise a great point here. A big reason I would go down this road is so I don't have to carry the steps inside the camper or truck... but if it blocks my plates and I get pulled over all the time that's a no go.

Since I am considering these steps when we get our camper, I have thought about mounting the rear plate to the bottom of the step, so that when it is folded up, it is clearly visible. You could also just move the plate to anywhere on the rear of the truck that is visible.

Esus said:
You raise a great point here. A big reason I would go down this road is so I don't have to carry the steps inside the camper or truck... but if it blocks my plates and I get pulled over all the time that's a no go.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about that a great deal. You might get the occasional LEO that will pull you over, but it's probably not going to happen very often. Here in Oregon, we have no requirement to license small utility trailers with pneumatic tires and a loaded weight that does not exceed 1,800 pounds. I've never been stopped when towing them, either in California or Washington.

If it's a big worry, you could flip the step on it's side (might have to drill a hole for the pin) so the plate could be seen from the rear.

Good point about the plate - I might secure to the steps like in the video. The steps weigh 30 lbs - not exactly light. But that they are quite sturdy and fold up in the hitch, I preferred this option over a folding ladder.

folded_steps.jpg

We purchased the Easy Hitch Step (two step model) three months ago and absolutely love it. Pricey, yes, but for us worth it. We just returned from an extensive trip where we encountered an inordinate amount of rain. No more did we need to put the muddy steps inside the camper. As was pointed out above, the rough grated step surface does a good job of getting mud and debris off of your shoes prior to entering the camper. The steps also offer good traction in wet weather. With our old set up, a free standing two step stool, the difference between the floor of the camper and the top step was often different, depending on the topography of the campsite. With the Easy Hitch Step the distance between the camper floor and the top step is always the same. The distance between the bottom step and the ground may vary, but I like the idea that when exiting the camper the steps are always in the same spot. One problem with them, or any of this type step that has not been mentioned is that if you have back up sensors in your bumper, the steps will set them off every time you put the vehicle in reverse. This can be easily overcome by temporarily disabling the sensors using the trucks computer menu under the "settings" heading. I worried a lot about the license plate visibility issue prior to this trip. With the two step model, like we have, the manufacturer put a couple of holes on the bottom of the lower step, so you can bolt the license plate to it and then when it is in the up (or traveling position) the plate is clearly visible. However, I decided to just leave the plate in the standard location and take my chances (as Wandering Sagebrush suggests earlier in this thread). If stopped by the police, my plan was to simply drop the steps into the working position and assure the officer that I would always leave them down, thereby allowing the plate to be easily seen. One last comment; on several occasions I found the steps to provide a very easy and efficient means of carrying fire wood from the place of purchase (camp host, park office, etc.) to the campsite. Sorry for the long post. I haven't contributed on WTW in a while, so I guess I am making up for it with this "essay." - Richard

Attachments

• Easy Hitch Step #3.jpg
    Easy Hitch Step #3.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 509
  • Easy Hitch Step #1.jpg
    Easy Hitch Step #1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 491
I actually saw the Easy Hitch Steps at the Sonoma rally in April on someone's rig. I thought they were very solid looking and I liked the fact that they had openings to shed dirt and water off your shoes and a rough top. Slipping would be next to impossible. But then I saw the price, they are pretty much. 4 models From $329 tp $509, but interesting that they are not sold by Amazon or other discounters yet. They also have a mount for your plate when the steps are folded up. I could not find weight info.

https://www.easyhitchstep.com/index.php/buy-easy-hitch-step/buy-truck-hitch-step-online

EnviroProf said:
At the end of this video produced by the company it shows a place they designed for the license plate when the steps are folded.
Awesome. Well, that solves that problem.

I have an Eagle on a 3" platform in my '06 Tundra. I use the 2 step Brophy hitch step with the Anti-Rattle device mentioned in post 2. Both work great. With the ant rattle tight it's solid as a rock and I'm a big guy. Works fine for my 4'11" wife as well.

I normally leave the step in the receiver on the road unless I'm towing. You just have to be careful backing up. It doesn't really block the license plate and I've had no interest from law enforcement. I've driven across many states like this in the last year.

I did add a non skid pad on top of each step. The kind that has a yellow reflective stripe. That makes the step easier to see in the dark getting in and out. I put red reflective tape on the rear of each step and up the sides of the center support. it's quite visible.

Pic added.View attachment 28777

Attachments

• 013 (Small).JPG
    013 (Small).JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 259
Squatch said:
I have an Eagle on a 3" platform in my '06 Tundra. I use the 2 step Brophy hitch step with the Anti-Rattle device mentioned in post 2. Both work great. With the ant rattle tight it's solid as a rock and I'm a big guy. Works fine for my 4'11" wife as well.

I normally leave the step in the receiver on the road unless I'm towing. You just have to be careful backing up. It doesn't really block the license plate and I've had no interest from law enforcement. I've driven across many states like this in the last year.

I did add a non skid pad on top of each step. The kind that has a yellow reflective stripe. That makes the step easier to see in the dark getting in and out. I put red reflective tape on the rear of each step and up the sides of the center support. it's quite visible.
Ditto on all points except the anti-skid for my Brophy.
In addition to the reflective tape in those sections, I added glow in dark tape on each step at rear edge so that those night exits are safer and fewer shin collisions when walking around rear of camper in dark.

Paul

Build my own. Bungie cord hold then when inside the camper. Thin wall sq tube and anti slip tape on the steps.

IMG_5536.jpgIMG_5537.jpg

I've pondered the step issue a lot. I need affordable steps that will work for my dogs and me. I tried a ramp for the dogs, but then I had to move the ramp out of the way for my entry and exit (using a step stool). Last month I met a truck camper with dogs who uses a plastic three-step mounting block. Never thought of that, but then I don't have a horse. The dogs will appreciate the fact that the stairs are not open-backed and I will be happy that I'm not moving that heavy ramp back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom