FWC mattress update

RC Pilot Jim said:
Next Adventures,

Neat product and website. Before I replaced the mattress first in my old Flip-Pac then again in my new Eagle shell
I used a 4 " thick self-inflating mattress from Cabellas. Very comfortable sleeping . I think the full mattress size was about $100.

That is a good inexpensive option too.
Hey there Jim, I went to Cabela's and could not find a 4" self inflating mattress (I have an Eage 2011 and love it but not the foam bed.
$100 sounds doable for me.... any help on model # for a search?
Thanks
Buckland

I did look at them and wow I wish I could do that...but $400 for two is hard... I sure wish I could find a replacement foam for just the one large cushon: 65"x 47 1/2" x 4" .....I could live with the rest of the small ones on the legs... just can't seem to find a foam dealer in the Northeast (yup that's me... a rarity FWC who turns heads!) who can give me a deal. It is getting chilly here (37 lat night) ..hoping to make one last trip this year to northern Maine... listen to owls, coyote, and catch some wild trout.... I'll take the thermorest for on top but wanted to get it ready for next year.... sadly due to New England weather, the Eagle must rest in the barn until spring.

Getting back to my original Post. If I had to do this again I would just replace the foam in the larger (60x 48) section. If you recall back about 6 pages I paid $210.00 for 3 of the 5 mattress sections in my Eagle.

Maybe you can find a substitute foam to the " Q41" foam. In your town, Go visit your home furniture upholstery store, ask them for a piece of foam that you can sleep on - that "contours to the body" and has high "bounce-back". Order it to fit inside your mattress cover.

Maybe you can get it for $100-$150 or less.

Amen to that... that is the way I intend to go... Thanks all for the input and musings... Y'all get a good night's rest.
I am heading to attcahed asap

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 8.05.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 8.05.54 AM.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 188
After 20 minutes in my new Hawk I had to go get the Thermarest inflatable camp bed to go to sleep. The next day I started researching options and ordered a new mattress. I decided to purchase a mattress from mattressinsider.com. It was a 4" laminated memory foam with the first 1" layer 0412 foam and the bottom 3" type 1850 with a Cool Max zipper cover and the two forward corners 4" radiuses. IT IS VERY VERY COMFORTABLE. I left the FWC mattress and cover in the dumpster at the UPS store in Redding CA where I had it delivered on my way to BC. Hopefully some homeless person has it, but you know he probably started sleeping on the ground instead. It was that bad.

I also had some experience with under mattress condensation from boating. I purchased a product called DryMesh.net to put under the mattress. You will still have condensation but this holds the mattress up and allows air to circulate in between. Mildew will still form on the bottom but not on your mattress if you do not dry it out every day. Once you have mold and mildew in a mattress you have problems. Best not to go there. I am getting mold in the plywood slide over, but whenever it starts to form on the DryMesh I just throw it in the washing machine.

OBTW, Mattress Insiders also made me some custom fitted sheets with the top sheet sewn to the foot of the fitted bottom sheet.

I know everyone says why doesnt' fwc use a better mattress, but in their defense, no two people like the same mattress. Some like it hard, some like it soft and its really something you need to do on your own. IMHO.

craig333 said:
I know everyone says why doesnt' fwc use a better mattress, but in their defense, no two people like the same mattress. Some like it hard, some like it soft and its really something you need to do on your own. IMHO.
Yes but the foam they use is soooooo hard. They could give you a choice of foam. That said I have the old 2" stuff no one can sleep on that stuff. REI sleeping pads make it work.

Kispiox said:
After 20 minutes in my new Hawk I had to go get the Thermarest inflatable camp bed to go to sleep. The next day I started researching options and ordered a new mattress. I decided to purchase a mattress from mattressinsider.com. It was a 4" laminated memory foam with the first 1" layer 0412 foam and the bottom 3" type 1850 with a Cool Max zipper cover and the two forward corners 4" radiuses. IT IS VERY VERY COMFORTABLE. I left the FWC mattress and cover in the dumpster at the UPS store in Redding CA where I had it delivered on my way to BC. Hopefully some homeless person has it, but you know he probably started sleeping on the ground instead. It was that bad.

I also had some experience with under mattress condensation from boating. I purchased a product called DryMesh.net to put under the mattress. You will still have condensation but this holds the mattress up and allows air to circulate in between. Mildew will still form on the bottom but not on your mattress if you do not dry it out every day. Once you have mold and mildew in a mattress you have problems. Best not to go there. I am getting mold in the plywood slide over, but whenever it starts to form on the DryMesh I just throw it in the washing machine.

OBTW, Mattress Insiders also made me some custom fitted sheets with the top sheet sewn to the foot of the fitted bottom sheet.
online with matressinsider.com right now. do u remember the model number? did u get a 2 piece for the slide out or did u leave the the slide out extended and 1 piece
thanx john

The type of foam and thickness of the laminates are in my previous post. I recommend you discuss your preferences with them I.e,... Weight, height, hot/cold sleeper, back or side sleeper, climate where most use, preference, hard, soft etc. Then let them recommend. Keep in mind you may get a sales person who is not very knowledgable so it is good to talk to more than one. I spoke with Dixie Noris and found her to be very knowable and most efficient.

I did a single mattress, but most usage of my camper is just myself so I do not extend the bed. Also, know that I have no affiliation with Mattress Insiders. Just trying to help others.

Agreed,... With other comments here about FWC selection of foam. There is no apparent attempt to provide something anyone would even want to begin to sleep on. Paying for their mattress is a waste.

Just a thought... Anyone getting rid of their old FWC mattress should consider donating to the local dog pound. Those pups in their cement kennels will appreciate it. That said, I was very happy to find the foam in our 1987 Grandby comfortable. Not my pillow top bed at home but comfortable.

I really enjoy my factory 2010 Foam Mattress. My back feels better in the FWC than my mattress at home. Thats just me. Kudos to those who improving their mattress for them. A good sleep sure makes the whole camping experience much more enjoyable.

4" is the problem. if fwc made the roof 2" higher i think it would solve 90% of our problem. it would allow for a reg mattress, problem solve, maybe.

I replaced my Hawk mattress with this:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/InnerSpace-5.5-inch-3-4-size-RV-Foam-Mattress/5784920/product.html?fp=f&CID=212993&token=212993-2129932013110513836367160565103854070569714643-1-657781

I was able to fit the new mattress w/cover inside the FWC fabric cover. With it installed I have to pull down on the camper roof to engage the front roof latches, but they pull down without re-adjusting the latch travel, so i think it will be fine.

I only use the 48x75 section, so if you use the pullout and the other section this probably wont work so well, as it is thicker than the original.

Laying on it feels more plush and i dont bottom out when sitting up as I did on the old one. The old one was okay but I ruined it by getting nasty car wash water inside trying to wash the bugs off the front of the camper.

Anybody have a 2-part mattress? I just ordered a Fleet and don't want to get rid of the amazing mattress that I have in the back of my truck (on a platform). It's 1 3/4" closed cell foam (automotive foam) and a 4 in. memory foam topper. Sure the memory foam gets a bit cold and hard in the winter...but give it 5 minutes of laying and it immediately thaws out.

I know that the mattress can't go above 4 inches, right? So I'm thinking simply a 2 inch memory foam topper over the closed cell.

Can you take the foam out of the cushions? As in is there a zipper? if so that would be easy to just measure and cut.

This thread is amazing...thanks for all the info.

Seems like I read on a thread here that FWC has a new improved mattress? If this is true, I would love to hear from someone who has one.

I use an REI 3.5 inch self inflating pad with a thin memory foam topper inside a therm-o-rest enclosure for my bed. I seem to sleep well on I but continue to keep an eye out for that perfect bed. I am currently single, so this pad currently works for me. The extra space behind the pad makes great storage for clothes and the pillow. The blankets fit with ease when the top is closed.

Steve

Shear,
Yes I forgot to add - mattress cover has a zipper. The upholsterer wrestled out the old foam and replaced it with the new.

FYI - Eagle mattress has 5 pieces. Most of body weight is on the large - 66" x 48" piece. Just replace foam in the large piece if you have the Eagle.

Fleet is a 2 piece side-to-side mattress so you will have to do both. (If there are two of you).

I have a 2013 Hawk. The mattress pad is quite firm, but I would not describe it as firm as others have posted.
I thought after the first night or two that I would replace the cushions, but I actually slept fine on it last trip.

I have ordered several custom foam products from an on line company and been pleased with them. They saved me with my hybrid travel trailer that needed some folding beds. They turned out to be great. You can order lots of different types of foam depending on how firm or soft you want it.

I might custom order from these guys again for the Hawk if it bothers me again.

http://www.foamorder.com/camping-mat.html

I've purchased 2 of the folding camping matts with the C33 foam and that was great. My brother bought the much more expensive Everflex foam and claims it's better than his bed at home.

I posted this thought back in 2012, but thought I'd re-post as a question:
Were FWC mattresses softer a few years ago -- like in 2005 maybe?

The mattress/pads in my 2005 Hawk are not too hard -- I wish they were firmer. I don't remember now how I felt about them back in 2005...maybe they've broken down, softened with time....? :unsure:
I'm considering getting replacement foam that's firmer.

Back
Top Bottom