FWC mattress

Stevedahiker

I own a 2016 FWC Hawk. The mattress is too firm. Our previous 2006 Hawk mattress was much more comfortable. Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yep, I went to an upholstery place and replaced with a better foam. Don't remember what it was though but I posted somewhere on here. I also added a 2" memory foam topper

Thanks for the great ideas! It's nice to know others are having trouble, too. We have a custom mattress place in town, so I'll start there. I'll definitely try the Downtown Blue Board as well.

I love the firm mattress in my 2013 Hawk.
While I agree it's firm. It'a all personal preference.

Just wanted to chime in as not everyone dislikes it. Of course the people who do dislike it are going to be more vocal about it than the people that like it.

We had to replace ours but we didn't ever use it as it was used. We bought memory foam at Costco, cut it into the right sized sections, had new covers made. I think we used 4" but I'd use 3" if I had to do it again. We've not experienced the cold temps that will harden it even though we've been in below 30degrees.

We recently purchased two twin size 2" thick memory foam toppers and it made a huge difference on our last trip. They are very comfortable when used on top of the FWC mattress. They were only about $60 each on Amazon and have nice zip on covers. We store one on the top bunk and one on the bottom (front dinette). It's a little wider than the dinette bed but still fits. The topper could also be folded or rolled up for storage.

Bill D said:

Just wanted to chime in as not everyone dislikes it. Of course the people who do dislike it are going to be more vocal about it than the people that like it.
Agreed but the overwhelming majority hates the mattress. I recently but a 3'' topper and its too firm. I'm thinking about replacing the mattress with this Meistervik foam mattress which is thicker than the Minnesund. Credit goes to the Park who originally came up with the ikea idea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50315875/

or another idea is https://www.mattressinsider.com/memory-foam-rv-mattresses.html

Moderator,

May I be so bold as to suggest a pinned camper mattress thread.

Perhaps under Truck Campers since mattresses are common to all campers,

;-)

Regards,
Craig

Bill D said:

Ditto with our '16 Hawk; put us in "like" column...mattress is super...even for a bony old man! Just a thought but I weigh 170 and my wife 120 so weight and preference could be variables.

Phil

My wife and I have a 2016 Hawk and realized on a 60-day cross-country trip that while the mattress may be firm it was not thick enough for our 62 y.o. hips to avoid sensing the board beneath it. Too much tossing and turning which for my part may be due to my two hip replacements. We have a very firm mattress at home with a 2 inch topper. We added a similar topper loose on top of the Hawk's mattress and now sleep like babies until the cat wakes us up at 4:30 am.

I will note that we did not remove the Hawk's topper for a week after a winter trip and the atmospheric moisture generated some mold along the wood strips on the camper ceiling where it was in contact with the mattress. Now we take it off when we are not using it regularly.

I found the existing mattress in my 2016 Hawk to be a bit uncomfortable so after reading the mattress threads on this forum, I decided to replace the existing 4" foam with 2" of the same density plus 2" of memory foam. The bed is amazingly comfortable now, and there is no additional height added so I can still store just as much stuff between the bed and roof.

Stevedahiker said:
I own a 2016 FWC Hawk. The mattress is too firm. Our previous 2006 Hawk mattress was much more comfortable. Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
@Stevedahiker - wondering what you ended up with for a mattress? I just purchased a 3" memory foam topper from Costco in BZ today. Hoping it will fit when our Hawk is un-popped.

moonlight - We use a 2" memory foam topper in addition to the stock mattress and it works just fine. We even leave our down comforter down when closing the top. I loosened the roof latches though so as to not compress something that is not supposed to be compressed.

Historical context: We HATED the mattress on our 2012 Hawk that closely resembled the consistency of a pine 2 x 12! With much fanfare FWC rolled out a new mattress for our 2015 Hawk. Sioux said it was "slightly better". So...

A) I bought a 1" "eggshell" mattress at Walmart and (with some difficulty) inserted it under the mattress cover. Verdict: "Better but hips still hurt when side sleeping as we both do." So...

:cool: I shelled out 400.00 for the Froli Star 1 3/4" innerspring mattress. Verdict: "Even better but still..."

Anyone remember the fable of "The Princess and the pea?" Still evaluating but the Froli s good. And we can still keep a thin sleeping bag (but not pillows) up with the top down.

This is your answer... replace the large foam with this... leave the 4 small cushions... use two at feet 2 at head under pillow. More comfy than my home bed! We spent 2 months on the road... slept like a dream (before all you said above same for us... hips were aching).....now bliss.

Attachments

• bed foam.png
    bed foam.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 460

Back
Top Bottom