FWC Newbie Question....

I have the Ranger II camper (with the wings) on a 1986 Toyota pickup and it is a royal PITA to get on and off by myself. There is only about a 1/2" or less clearance on the inside and outside of the bed to the camper. If the truck is the least bit off or crooked you start over. I use the cable jacks and am very careful. Good thing it is a dedicated RV and the camper stays on year round.

CWD

I built a monster of a dolly that can support not only the camper, but probably the truck too:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/546/

Some folks have acquired metal trailers which I think are better because they typically hook to a hitch so can be pushed/pulled it in/out very easy. I have a sloped driveway, so with the help of a pully on the back wall of the garage, I lower the dolly with camper to the flattest part near the sidewalk, then put it on the truck.

Loading/unloading the camper isn't too bad. 45-60min including winching it down the driveway, taking off tailgate and tonneau cover and airing up the tires. Add another few minutes to take the jacks off. Two words: fastgun derringers. Get 'em. Love 'em. They save me a lot of turnbuckle time because on my setup, there isn't a lot of room to reach in there, particularly since I have short arms. Plus, no trying to figure out which way tightens vs loosens and you don't have to check later to make sure they didn't loosen up.

I'm a mixed bag when it comes to camper jacks. If it just a quick weekend trip and we're not planning on going off-road (more than gravel or graded dirt that is), I leave them on. Anything longer or with trails, they come off. You'll save about 35# each in weight too.

I like the utility trailer idea. i bought a small 4x8 with a 3rd steering/balance wheel on the hitch and it works great for storage, dump runs or hauling dirt bikes or harleys. I spent a little more because I wanted 15" wheels but HF has them cheap if you don't mind the mini tires.

When I wanted to remove my Grandby I went to the rental shop and got a pair of cable jacks, cheap, but I hated it. The truck had a 4" lift with 35" tires and on sloping driveway with 2x4s stacked under the jacks it was a scary proposition. When I order my Hawk it will have the four corner factory jacks!

This is all great stuff. Brett - I dig the dolly you built. I'm like you in that I tend to over-engineer everything I build....

Keep the suggestions and photos coming! In the meantime, I'm gonna keep searching for my Tundra. Need to find one soon, so that I can move onto the fun part...finding a good used FWC.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and will be sure to post some photos as the rig comes together.

You asked for it - suggestions that is.

You say you tend to over-engineer everything: have you considered a 3/4 ton truck for your camper? There have been several threads on this you could research. The 1/2 ton should be OK, but for me and a lot of others the only answer is a 3/4 ton. The frame, tires, suspension are obvious but the big one is the difference in brakes especially if your doing any towing.

Anyway food for thought if you don't have your truck yet. Good luck.

The 1/2 ton should be OK, but for me and a lot of others the only answer is a 3/4 ton.

X2 on getting a 3/4 or 1 ton over a 1/2 ton. I'll never go back to 1/2 ton running gear. The difference is night and day!

Back
Top Bottom