FWC Option Preferences

What do folks think about the FWC rear flood light? They look like a good idea but they stick out quite a bit and I suspect they draw a lot of power.

I didn't add a floodlight as an option, because. like pods8, I like to keep my campsite fairly dark, and watch night settle in. I did add LEDs to the porch and rear door lights, as I sometimes do use them. I have converted most of my lights to LEDs and highly recommend them. Also like pods8, I use an LED headlamp if I need it in the dark.

Get a BIG battery, many of your changes need power and the small battery will give out. I just changed to the Sears Platinum Group 31 not cheep, better to spent the $$ up front. I do like my dinette still like looking at the wife and out the window.

Bill

What do folks think about the FWC rear flood light? They look like a good idea but they stick out quite a bit and I suspect they draw a lot of power.

I think a rear flood light is a good thing to have, but I am going to do it a little different.

- A in cab controlled backup flood light.

- A Golight remote controlled flood light.

One way or another I would have some sort of flood light in the back. If you have not seen a Golight check them out.

It does restrict rear vision

The screen door does or the sliding opaque cover that comes stock? That cover can easily be swapped out for a piece of 1/8" plexiglass and a cabinet knob and visibility is fine (or as good as not having the screen door at least).

We have made very little use of the cab passthrough window but the tunnel does seem to improve airflow and noise.

Sometimes I throw gear back and forth but I really like that window the most because it's sheltered even if poor weather so it's a nice one to be able to open up.

In studying the FWC web site I see no mention of a 12v compressor fridge option. Does anyone have that option from the factory? I see only the three way and I have no desire for that.

The other thing I would like to see from FWC is a new/updated web site!

ATC has done this on 2 of my Cougar orders, 2 of my Bobcat orders and one Ocelot order. The customer (or I provide and install) the Engel MT45 and the slide lock.
Copy of Engel on Slid Lock.JPG

Z-Man from what Atwood told me you are correct. The 16k will use less power because of the higher btu production.

I think a rear flood light is a good thing to have, but I am going to do it a little different.

- A in cab controlled backup flood light.

- A Golight remote controlled flood light.

One way or another I would have some sort of flood light in the back. If you have not seen a Golight check them out.

Golights look pretty interesting. Going to have a closer look.

Has anyone looked into LED outside lights? Presumably they would use less power. I see lots on the net but it would be hard to judge from the usual manufacturers sparkle :cool:

Every light in and out in my new ATC Cougar are LED's, including the ones I string on the awning. They probably all have less draw than one incandescent and no heat.

My porch lights are led. I'm not going to bother with the floods since they're used so seldom.

ATC has done this on 2 of my Cougar orders, 2 of my Bobcat orders and one Ocelot order. The customer (or I provide and install) the Engel MT45 and the slide lock.
View attachment 12786

Thanks for the information. Any info on the price of that option? Didn't see anything on the ATC site.

Is there such a thing as a factory front opening 12v fridge with a more "finished" built in look?
I suppose the advantage here is that the unit could be removed and have other uses but for me I think I would miss the counter space?

There is a $675 factory option of a 1.9 cubic foot Dometic 3 way fridge that is a front opening unit. Engel makes several front opening units all with different dimensions. The Engel is a 2 way fridge/freezer.
http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59&vmcchk=1&Itemid=59

Here is a little more information that might clear up some confusion . . .

FWC has been using the Atwood 12,000 btu furnace (Model 8012-ll) for the last couple of years and it has been working just as we had hoped.

:)

We switched to the Atwood 12,000 btu furnace so we could get a smooth, more consistent heat, instead of the extreme of it being “either really hot or really cold” inside the campers.

Atwood lists this model as having only a 1.8 amp. draw.

Weight = 22 lbs.

There is a very specific reason we switched over to this furnace.

If ATC is still using the same furnace as we used to, that would be the Atwood 16,000 btu furnace (Model 8516-IV). Please correct me if this is not the model they are using.

The specs from the Atwood website list it as having a 4.6 amp. draw.

We found this furnace to be too powerful for such a small camper space.

The furnace would come on and get really hot, shut off, and then would not cycle back on for quite some time.

Weight = 30 lbs.

I'm not saying this is a bad furnace. It is just different.

Both furnaces work well and will heat the camper just fine.

In such a small space the difference between 12,000 btu & 16,000 btu is a non-issue.

We found considering the other factors more important than just the size.

FWC installs the 12,000 btu furnace in our campers not only for our US customers, but also for all of our Canadian customers and through Europe and other nations.

I have not heard of any customers repoting back that the furnace wasn't big enough.

We have been very happy with its performace, quietness, and reliability.

:)

Z-Man,

According to Atwood's own site;
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/furnaces/MPD%2032072%20SP%201.08.pdf

Both the 16k and the 12k use the exact amount of wattage and draw the same amperage although the 12k cost less. They do list a 12k that uses 1.8 amps but after talking with the Atwood folks several months back they said it is substantially less efficient and is not the one used by either ATC or 4wc. Those are Atwood's words not mine.

Attachments

• ATC Atwood Furnace.jpg
    ATC Atwood Furnace.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 139
  • FWC Atwood Furnace.jpg
    FWC Atwood Furnace.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 145
Back
Top Bottom