FWC options for F-250 short bed.

scudman93

Hey folks....been skulking around as a guest for a while but it is time for me to get some smarts on ordering a FWC for my F-250.
It is a short bed 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel 4X4 Super Duty.
I got the short bed since I travel around Bass fishing circuits and negotiating the campgrounds is easier with less length. I will be towing a single axle 18'6" ProCraft bass boat around 2200 lbs but will verify weight.
Options are three way fridge, heater, A/C, at least three outlets (appliances), an awning....with brackets to move from drivers-passenger side, possible room for a porta-potti but stay in full service campgrounds.
Not sure if this is in another thread but will keep checking and look forward to putting a FWC on this truck by March!
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/larfshmn/03126871.jpg

scudman,

Welcome aboard. You should add the auxiliary battery, screen door, and power fan for roof vent to your list. All are great options that many members end up adding after the fact. Much easier from the factory. Have you thought about what type of jacks you are going to use? We carry the corner jacks when we're camping to stabilize the camper for sleeping etc. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nice looking rig. An extended bed if offered would be nice too. A lot of stuff like inverters and outlets you can easily add later. A little honda generator will keep your boat and camper going when you're off the grid.

Hi scudman93, welcome to the forum.

I have a Hawk for the same size bed as yours, and I don't miss the extra length at all, particularly when parking. In addition to a "house" battery,and the other stuff the other fellows suggested, but instead of a three-way fridge, *I* would get one like this... Coolmatic
...or the comparable Engel.

I propose putting the fridge behind the driver's seat in your truck, but make it removable.

Nice truck.

Just Curious...

I'm wondering why you are choosing a pop-up FWC over a Six-Pac S650 or other lightweight slide-in for your Diesel F250? (My personal reasons include off-season storage in my garage as well as off-road capability.)

If you only intend to use it on the road and in campgrounds a regular camper has advantages (more interior storage and comfort—like roof-top A/C), and doesn't cost significantly more.

-JP

Jarnis....I have always liked the low profile, and way the FWC looks.....it's more of a preference thing! I have seen alot of Six Pac rigs and have liked they're storage but again.....preference.
I have been looking into a small generator also. I live in Covington Washington and trees knocking down lines, and some campgrounds that have no power have conditioned me to look at options for off grid power. Also have been relegated to "Boat Launch Camping" when overbooked resorts force a change of plans!

After looking at some of the threads about exchange fans and such I probable will ditch the A/C.....but it is nice to be able to take a nap in Eastern Wa. at noon when it gets into the 100s!:)

If your Ford is anything Like my Dodge, you won't need the camper jacks to stabilize it. I have a friend who does the bass thing on the local circuit. Pretty good at but he doens't even like fish. Me I'd rather sit in lawn chair, drown a worm and down a beer, but I've noticed most bass fisherman are a little too hyper for that. To each his own. Enjoy your camper, ought to work well with what you do.

welcome aboard !

looks like a nice truck

we get plenty of fishermen in each year for the same reason

they are just looking for something simple, low profile, easy to drive, and comfortable to stay in

I like the comfort factor of the Six-Pac Campers ! BUT, I like the driveability of the Four Wheel Pop-up Campers

Just let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with down the road ...

Attachments

• Ford - F-150 (new 2004).JPG
    Ford - F-150 (new 2004).JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Boat & FWC #1.jpg
    Boat & FWC #1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Nissan Titan Ext. Cab with Hawk.JPG
    Nissan Titan Ext. Cab with Hawk.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 350
  • Boat & FWC Pictures 2.jpg
    Boat & FWC Pictures 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Boat & FWC Pictures.jpg
    Boat & FWC Pictures.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 348
scudman93

Sounds like a nice setup. I'm here in seattle. Hear you about the Western washington heat in summer. I find that if you park in the shade, get the fan going and windows open, you are fine. Besides, take a hammock and sleep outside in the shade. much nicer.

I was thinking of making a poor man's AC....Swamp cooler. You can buy them, but why not just make one. Trying to make one that would attach to the fantastic fan and keep in cool in the back. Nice for eastern OR or Nevada as well. This I will probably make as a winter project to try next summer.

Anyhow, welcome aboard and happy camping.

Dave in Seattle

Hey Stan....another concern I have is the weight limitation of the over-cab section....I weigh, currently 324 lbs and although Weight Watchers has me going down..(From 353) I do not want to have issues with metal fatique and such...Valid concern?

Hey scudman93

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.

There should be no problem with your weight on the cab-over portion of the camper.

We have had many big customers buy our campers, and I haven't seen any problems.

With the aluminum frame and reinforement of the cab-over on the camper, it is a very strong design.

I am 6'4" - 260 lbs, me, my wife, and our daughter have all spent nights in the cab-over bed with out any problems.

In the 5 years I have been here, getting the chance to see hundreds of used campers come in to the service department, and have sold hundres of new campers -- I haven't see any problems, except one.

Only once I have seen a used four wheel camper with a slightly bent cab-over. It was a used hawk shell model for sale (it had the standard cab-over bed), and I can't figure out for the life of me how they bent it. At first I assumed they hit a parking garage or something like a tree, but I didn't see any roof damage ? That one is still a mystery for me.

As long as you are not stacking a pile of bricks or sand bags in the cab-over of the camper, you should have no problems at all.

We have a full 5 year warranty covering the camper frame -- so that is covered and we are very confident in the design.

Hope this feed back helps.

=====================================================

Hey Stan....another concern I have is the weight limitation of the over-cab section....I weigh, currently 324 lbs and although Weight Watchers has me going down..(From 353) I do not want to have issues with metal fatique and such...Valid concern?

Back
Top Bottom