FWC poptop Truck Campers allowed in grizzly bear campgrounds?

munchmeister

Advanced Member
I was looking at a campground just east of the East entrance of Yellowstone NP, Three Mile, on the north fork of the Shoshone River which said "no popup Campers." Anyone know if this ban would include a Four Wheel truck Camper with a poptop? He'd have to be a pretty tall bear to reach the soft sided top! It's a shell, no stove inside, no cooking has ever been done inside this Raven model shell.
TIA!

I camped at Yellowstone in early 2012. The camp host never said anything about my rig. He did advise me that there was a grizzly in the campground the past couple of mornings and to just put all food and cooking utensils in the bear boxes. Whether that was within the rules or not I don't know.

yellowstone - 1.jpg

Attachments

• yellowstone - 1 (1).jpg
    yellowstone - 1 (1).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 214
There are several campgrounds along there. The first ones closest to the east entrance of YNP do not allow FWC popup campers. That is grizzly country. But keep going just another 10 miles east towards Cody and the campgrounds do allow popup campers. Tents are fine too.

JimBow said:
There are several campgrounds along there. The first ones closest to the east entrance of YNP do not allow FWC popup campers. That is grizzly country. But keep going just another 10 miles east towards Cody and the campgrounds do allow popup campers. Tents are fine too.
I was at Norris CG coming in from the west. All of the northern CGs were still closed.

The campgrounds along the North Shoshone River are all open.

Just wanted to add that I asked the campground host at the "no pop up camper" places and he specifically said my FWC wasn't allowed there. I was there in early June of this year. Unfortunately, the river was like chocolate milk, so no fishing then.

Whether a hard side trailer or RV is any safer from a bear than a FWC is debatable, but that was the rule.

Not a great solution, but I wonder if keeping the lid closed at night and sleeping on the dinette/sofa would make it acceptable? Not workable for every rig but maybe for a night or two.

Agree the height of the soft walls on most pop-up truck campers makes it a non-issue, but sometimes rules are rules.

Just got back from Yellowstone/Tetons/Winds/Bighorns and camped in some remote spots along the eastern side of the park as well as some creative bondocking. Folks are correct about the NFS campgrounds along the eastern entrance as well as the sites along the the Beartooth HWY. Bear activity is strong in these places and park and forest service staff encourage hard sided campers only.

That being said we camped for three night along the Beartooth and eastern entrance road in old logging road areas. Cooked away from our truck, packed all food items in the cab and slept popped up. No issues. We also stayed in the park at Pebble Brook campground saw brown bears there too, with many folks there camping in tents? Go figure...

jim

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28496]
Vic said:
Not a great solution, but I wonder if keeping the lid closed at night and sleeping on the dinette/sofa would make it acceptable? Not workable for every rig but maybe for a night or two.

Agree the height of the soft walls on most pop-up truck campers makes it a non-issue, but sometimes rules are rules.
I call that the "guest bedroom." In my small Raven shell, I've got a piece of plywood and a 1x12 that stretch across the gap between the sides of the camper making a platform that is as wide (E-W) as the top bunk. I think it is 77" wide, IIRC, so even my 6'-4" brother could sleep there. I plan to do that when I need to "stealth" camp or just pull over to take a quick nap on the road. This time though I've got a buddy going with me on a grand tour of Wyoming so we'll need both the "upstairs" and the "downstairs" beds. But that is a great idea for bear country. Wonder if the Rangers would allow that. Thanks for the suggestion. Guess I'll wing it and make calls or stop in to chat with folks, outdoor shops, in Cody. @Fernweh, we're going up from the south, through the Wind River Canyon, to Thermop, then east over the Bighorns via Ten Sleep and the Cloud Peak Byway, into Buffalo, Sheridan, then west and down into the Basin, to Cody and then into Jellystone. Then down to the Tetons and Pinedale. Heading out Monday, for 2 weeks. Gettin excited. First trip in my FWC. Hell, first trip in an RV since I was just a kid, long, long ago. Been camping off the motorcycle since 2002 but getting too old to lift the bike when if falls over.Thanks to all for the info.

We stayed in a NF campground off of Beartooth HY. last Sept. Campground host asked us to leave top down at night because of bears. I said, ok! Mitch

All the places camped and never was asked to leaving or even putting the top down at night. My pref is the NF's and have not been confronted in WI or the UP of MI. Hate to say this but on the trip to AK and NW Canada I could count on both hands the number of bears that were seen, 16,000 miles in 13 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom