FWC - Project M

Oilbrnr said:
Should be Project - D for dust.
That was my first thought when I saw that. Also no insulation against the metal or in my case composite bed. Add to that all the built in drain holes on truck beds.

We’re working on a couple things to help keep the dust out. But we’ll really see how the campers preform once we have 30-40 out on the back roads camping around. The first models we built were OK, but the engineers are working on improving the rear hatch door before full production happens soon.

Looks like a great lightweight option to me. Sure beats a lot of things I have camped in over the years.

If those had been avail. 7 years back, I would have one instead of my Hawk(which I do like mucho). It would have been a better set up on my first gen Tundra, which has been replaced with a F250.

I like this. I can put a quad or motorcycle in the bed and have a place to sleep at night without having to tow a trailer. It does mean I would have to remove the toys before bedtime, but that only takes a few minutes.

Hopefully they leave enough room between the mattress and the roof to pre-make a bed.

I like the concept...you can still use your truck as a truck. But I too, am concerned about dust. As demonstrated by several toppers I’ve owned, the tailgate will always be the culprit; and I like using my tailgate for all sorts of tasks. But if this unit were built with barn doors and a frame that sealed the rear I might be tempted to pull out the checkbook.

Looks to me that it's an FWC that won't overload a Tacoma. My experience with a Ranger II on a Dakota taught me not to overload my truck, especially for those Baja backroads. Sealing the dust out would be good. Also 9 grand for basically a shell is a little high I think.

camper rich said:
Looks to me that it's an FWC that won't overload a Tacoma. My experience with a Ranger II on a Dakota taught me not to overload my truck, especially for those Baja backroads. Sealing the dust out would be good. Also 9 grand for basically a shell is a little high I think.
It's about ~3k higher than what many Millennials are spending on a rack scaffolding and a RTT (not to mention all the other bolt on farkles that they eat up like candy) so not too much of a stretch. A equivalent OVRLND starts at 10k and is even more bare bones.

It's all about the pros and cons of each setup. Over the years I've evolved from an 80 series LC with a RTT, to a shell on my PW where I could sleep in 1/2 the bed (and pack and unpack crap to do so) to a Hawk with minimal movement of interior gear that is dust free.

I would not go back.

Next up is a tray with a flatbed FWC or equivalent. The current slide in has significant limitations on organized storage, especially when it comes to dirty camp items and other gear needed for serious off-roading. The less time you spend on setup/teardown the better.

Oilbrnr said:
That checkbook better be busy to Mr. Bonney first Richard. :D
Ya think!?

I do like the concept. I sleep under an x-tall canopy with all the loading/unloading, stooping over and bumping my head, up & down on the tailgate issues; I’m not getting any younger. I still need to be able to use my truck bed the rest of the time, with no option for me to mount/dismount a traditional camper. So this style or even a wedge would work for me. But...I’ve decided it has got to be barn doors for me to pull the trigger.

I camped in a number of toppers with tailgate on in my younger days reworked the weather stripping every which way and discovered the only way to halfway keep dust out was to duct tape the joints. My Fleet is totally dust proof. And the dust that comes in is not at all easy to get out. I will be interested if FWC figures out something that I couldn't to fix that. I agree on the barn doors.

Oilbrnr said:
Next up is a tray with a flatbed FWC or equivalent. The current slide in has significant limitations on organized storage, especially when it comes to dirty camp items and other gear needed for serious off-roading. The less time you spend on setup/teardown the better.
In my opinion, a slide in FWC on a flated and filling the open gaps with storage boxes is hands down the best most useable configuration!

Attachments

• IMG_8281.jpg
    IMG_8281.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9354.jpg
    IMG_9354.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 355
So Cal Adventurer said:
In my opinion, a slide in FWC on a flated and filling the open gaps with storage boxes is hands down the best most useable configuration!
It is useable for items that you don't want to access when you're in the camper like food, cooking needs and clothing. Great for recovery gear, spare parts, outside camp items.

Plus, you have to open the swing outs every time you want to get inside.

Oilbrnr said:
It is useable for items that you don't want to access when you're in the camper like food, cooking needs and clothing. Great for recovery gear, spare parts, outside camp items.

Plus, you have to open the swing outs every time you want to get inside.
Yes, but if you compare how much storage is in a flatbed VS a slide in, it’s not a huge difference really. So add the exterior boxes like above and you have the best of both worlds.

As for the tire carrier, that was by design. It’s a security measure also. Common scum bag thief most likely couldn’t figure it out

Oilbrnr said:
PIcs of a barn door configuration? I'm not sure why so many want that.
dcu_series.jpg
My 2019 Ranger is a vacuum for every particle of dust on a dirt road. The tailgate is not sealed to any degree, plus there is a open venting area at the bed front. Barn doors would help... a lot.

So Cal Adventurer said:
Yes, but if you compare how much storage is in a flatbed VS a slide in, it’s not a huge difference really. So add the exterior boxes like above and you have the best of both worlds.

As for the tire carrier, that was by design. It’s a security measure also. Common scum bag thief most likely couldn’t figure it out
There is a considerable amount of storage on the FWC flatbeds compared to the slide-ins. Under the bed alone, which is something that should be done anyway. Moving the water heater, battery, LP further outboard and lower for CG, better rear seating room with storage, more floorspace esp. with two adults and a mutt or two.

I've dealt with swing-outs for years now, and I don't relish getting mine fixed here in a couple of weeks to accommodate the 4" of Hawk stickout. Not to mention the donkey-kick ride they provide. Worst place to add significant weight, aft and high of the rear axle. But hey, it is a holder for the trasharoo, so that's a plus.

Over-center latches are not a deterrent unless padlocked, or you're dealing with someone that is really mentally challenged.

Again, each config has pros/cons. Whatever suits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom