FWC Swift camper purchas decisions

Iowafj

We are thinking about buying a swift and trying to decide what options we should get right now. we are thinking of getting it loaded and can't help but wonder if we should scale down on the options.

The current plan

Swift camper
160w solor
2 way fringe
Furnace
Hot water heater
Powered roof vent
8' awning
Yakima tracks
Rear wall steps
LED rear flood lights
2nd deep cycle battery
Sliver spur outside
Flush mount stove and sink
Gas strut lift assist

Any info would be appreciated.

That looks like some nice upgrades. We have pretty much a basic (non shell camper) and it works for us. No hot water; we use a jet boil 75% of the time. No awning; we have a shade tent we carry (can move it around w/o worrying about the truck orientation relative to the awning), etc., etc.

If you are handy, you might do some of this yourself and get the type of parts you like best. The 2nd battery is one although they use quality batteries, other like to wire up the isolator, etc. with bluesea components. Maybe they can do that for you or maybe you don't care.

You can upgrade the roof vent yourself but they are expensive so it's probably a good investment upfront. Soem people liek 2 vents. We only have one so I don't know how much better it is; we find with the windows open/closed it's fine. Do get the powered one though!

Fridge? We have 3 way and like it. Others don't. We don't use the DC hardly (if ever) at all as we don't have solar (we have solar in a bag) and therefore charge the 2nd battery as we drive. I'm not sure if we can charge faster than the drain when driving or not so we usually don't turn the frig on until we're stopped. Propane seems to be very efficient and keeps things cool.

You can do the solar later too; all the wiring is there but like other things, it depends on how "handy" you are if you want to mess with it.

Good luck.

Kevin

I think you have a good list of options. I would also get the rear solar plug, so that you can purchase a portable solar panel down the road if you need it. When I got my 2014 Grandby the rooftop solar option was 100W. I had the solar plug and after a full year of camping purchased a 80W Zamp.

I have the rear spot lights, but probably could have done without. I also have the rear awning, which they don't sell anymore, and we hardly use it because we are always dropping the top and exploring.

Good luck. jd

Similar to what I got on my Eagle. I ended up adding a 2nd powered roof vent and more solar (mine only had 100w). I also have the rear spots which I rarely use, but I have spots as backup lights in my rear bumper so I have plenty of light backing up at night anyway. I also have the outside shower which I like.

I appreciate the info guys we are up grading from a CVT tent on a bed rack of a Tacoma so I'm sure I will like the change with all of the convenience items like a furnace and hot shower we haven't quite pulled the trigger on the purchase yet just trying to gather all the info we can before we make the investment

I personally wouldn't pay the prices for the solar that 4WC charges. Currently the 160 watt panels on solarblvd.com are on sale for 120.00 and if its prewired, add on your tracks on the roof plug it in and add a mppt solar charger in the camper and save almost 700.00. or more. The rest of the list looks great and is just up to you and what you think you would use. I wouldn't do the hot water heater as it takes up a lot of storage space in the cabinets and I can just as easy heat up the water on the stove.

I have a hawk , and first hot water tank. This is my second fourwheel camper and my other was a shadow cruiser . It's takes up a lot of room in cabinet but I will say it's awesome . Then I went to beach for day with wide and 2 year old so awesome to wash off your body with warm water and feel clean . People walking by loved it . And washing dishes and warm water to brush teeth . Never had it before but if I ordered new I would get it . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Even thou I have a Granby--3x-on the hot water heater :D ! I have never regretted getting it! Solar is great too, but I added my own set up, but if I had the money today and was buying a new pop-up, I would buy it installed; the same goes for the compression frig instead of a 3-way!

Smoke

We recently purchased our own pretty loaded Grandby and struggled with the same dilemma. We've now logged 20 nights and have more clarity. Ultimately, it'll depend on your use and preferences, but this is my opinion for us:

160w solar - nice have. if you relocate daily or don't mind running your engine daily, you probably can do without it.
2 way fringe - nice have, but dealing with 3-way would frustrate me.
Furnace - essential (we have a young child, so deal breaker).
Hot water heater - nice have, but borders on essential. it's super nice to have warm water when doing dishes, etc.
Powered roof vent - optional.
8' awning - optional, we use it, like it, but could do without.
Yakima tracks - don't have this personally, but if you are going to carry stuff, probably worth it.
Rear wall steps - only useful if you have roof set-up.
LED rear flood lights - optional, use them rarely, but when used, like them. if someone came to back door at night would def like them.
2nd deep cycle battery - we have this, small price increase, probably worth it.
Sliver spur outside - purely cosmetic, maybe adds 5 hp to your truck, like chrome windshield wipers, totally up to you.
Flush mount stove and sink - optional, we like it, but if cost is an issue, can probably cut it.
Gas strut lift assist - not sure, on a grandby, a must have, on a swift, maybe optional? but probably nice have.

Hope that helps.

I have a 2015 Fleet, front dinette and pretty much the same options you are considering. Remember with most options you are increasing weight and reducing needed storage space. I personally would not have the water heater (takes a lot of storage) or the awning. The gas struts are a must for me, recently changed them from 20 lb. to a combination of 30 and 40. I like the silver spur interior but the exterior has several large white panels; furnace, water heater, AC plug, water inlet, awning, rooflip, that are all still white so it is basically a white camper with a little silver trim. The rear floods I can do without and the rear steps have turned into a hook to hang things instead of an access to the roof.

I have an Eagle shell. Rear floods are over priced and really too much light to make them usable right at the back of the camper. A single $50.00 LED flood that you can install yourself is plenty and the camper is pre-wired for them. Just add a switch inside for it.
I agree you can also add the solar yourself later for a lot less money. I would get the Yakima tracks as they are nice for solar panel mounting. No water heater or furnace for me either, I make do just fine. I have a Little Buddy heater should I ever opt to carry it or use it. Heat in the camper is going to cause condensation problems, no way around that. I have a portable shower that I can heat water on my stove outside with. A single roof vent is plenty for me but the powered vent is nice for moving the air in or out. Ron

After reading everyone's replays it seems that the folks with the furnace and water heater wouldn't want to do without them and the folks without them seem like they are just fine without them I do think I really want them but I am concerned with the amount of storage I won't have with them right now I am just wondering if there's anything worth waiting for in the 2017 models

With flush mounted appliances I have room for a plastic container strapped to the countertop while I travel that adds extra storage space. I toss it on the bed when I'm using the stove.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Thanks Charlie for the extra storage idea any other storage ideas would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom