FWC takes on Fordyce...

locrwln

Sunday morning, my wife and I decided that we wanted to see Fordyce and we figured we could see the eclipse as well. The original plan was to drive into Meadow Lake and hike down the the last river crossing. As they say, best laid plans...

We drove up 89 and made the turn to head up toward Meadow Lake. We crossed a few snow drifts and then we hit the big one. Up to this point the drifts were pretty small and we eased right over them. I got to the big one and decided it would be wise to scout it out. This drift kept going and going. It lasted at least a 1/2 mile and was too much to risk. I orignally pulled up on the drift and decided to back down. Ours were the only truck tracks we saw up to that point. Everything else was quad tracks.

Not wanting to call it quits and figuring anywhere else we tried in that area would have us into the snow again, so what to do??? We still wanted to see/hike Fordyce, so we heading back to the highway and to 80 and over the summit to the Eagle Lakes turnoff. I figured we could make it a ways on the trail, find a place to camp and hike to the first river crossing. We drove in and met a few rigs coming out here and there. We finally met our match at about the 2.5 mile mark, which is just this side of the "Driveline Hill." We found a decent spot and parked the truck.

The obstacle that stopped us.

Working our way down the trail (these are actually on the way out on Monday morning).

Little tight here and there.

Jack

We have driven Fordyce many times, but this is the first time we have hiked it and I have to say, it gave it a whole new feel. We saw a lot more wildlife.

Starting with a little garter snake (didn't get a picture), then a small "tree frog:" Sorry about the picture, I was trying and I thought he was going to jump at any minute.

And more lizards than we could count. Because it was a Sunday afternoon and the river was flowing over 500CFM (according to some of the guys we talked to), we had the trail to ourselves for the most part.

Waterfall in the distance.

The water flow at the river.

And camp.

The hike was a little over four miles round trip and was absolutely awesome for the views and weather.

Didn't test the sliders which was good for me.

Jack

Not bad. I stopped doing fordyce in my Jeep. Just beating it up too much. Wise move staying out of the snow.

I turned around on Meadow Rd. two years ago, for the same reasons. I figure it's a waste of time spending an afternoon digging myself out. And I was driving a Honda Pilot. :unsure:

We like Fordyce too. There's a very nice stretch of trail along Fordyce Creek below the footbridge all the way to Spaulding. We usually start this hike from just below Fuller Lake. The hike traverses small basins with amazing old growth sugar pine, incense cedar, ponderosa or jeffrey pine, etc. Part of the trail is an old narrow gauge rail bed from when they logged this area during the dam construction. Any of the really big trees that were below the rail bed were spared apparently.

Anyone know if it's possible to access French Lake via truck? We're heading that way this weekend and hope to kayak. Sorry for the highjack, now back to you Locrwin . . .

Not bad. I stopped doing fordyce in my Jeep. Just beating it up too much. Wise move staying out of the snow.

Thank you, I agree, that trail is hard on equipment. We used to run it all of the time in my rockcrawling days and have plenty of breakage stories (thankfully none of mine). I agree, I got stuck up there last year in the snow and after digging for 30-40 min, luckily someone came along and was able to pull me out. I did not want a repeat even though I have added a winch, still too much risk/work.

I think it's great Jack. I really enjoyed Fordyce, especially the water crossings.

Those were good times. I have made the river crossings pretty low and way too high. When its low, its cool, when its high, it is really scary.

I turned around on Meadow Rd. two years ago, for the same reasons. I figure it's a waste of time spending an afternoon digging myself out. And I was driving a Honda Pilot. :unsure:

We like Fordyce too. There's a very nice stretch of trail along Fordyce Creek below the footbridge all the way to Spaulding. We usually start this hike from just below Fuller Lake. The hike traverses small basins with amazing old growth sugar pine, incense cedar, ponderosa or jeffrey pine, etc. Part of the trail is an old narrow gauge rail bed from when they logged this area during the dam construction. Any of the really big trees that were below the rail bed were spared apparently.

Anyone know if it's possible to access French Lake via truck? We're heading that way this weekend and hope to kayak. Sorry for the highjack, now back to you Locrwin . . .

Yeah, this is my second year of being denied access to Meadow Lake due to snow. I will make another attempt when there is no snow.

Sounds like a great place to hike. I will have to figure out where exactly that route is and give it a try.

Not sure on French Lake. Don't know if I know where that one is.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom