FWC Turn Buckles vs Bolting Down

RC Pilot Jim

I ordered a new FWC Eagle Shell (550-650 pounds) for my 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4WD on March 3rd. Now I can experience what I have been reading about in the Forum these many years.

I carried a 325 pound Flip Pac past 8 years, so have a custom spring pack will hold 1500 pounds.

My plan is to permanently leave it on the truck, however I won't know until I experience the additional weight
on a permanent basis.
Other than a drop in gas milege, does anyone have experience leaving FWcamper on 4 cylinder truck used as a 'daily driver'?

What experience has anyone had long term with turnbuckles?
What about bolting camper down?

Anu other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I ordered a new FWC Eagle Shell (550-650 pounds) for my 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4WD on March 3rd. Now I can experience what I have been reading about in the Forum these many years.

I carried a 325 pound Flip Pac past 8 years, so have a custom spring pack will hold 1500 pounds.

My plan is to permanently leave it on the truck, however I won't know until I experience the additional weight
on a permanent basis.
Other than a drop in gas milege, does anyone have experience leaving FWcamper on 4 cylinder truck used as a 'daily driver'?

What experience has anyone had long term with turnbuckles?
What about bolting camper down?

Anu other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've had my camper on my Ford Ranger since 1995 and it seems OK. Had to have something done to rear axle at 180K miles...but still going fine. Mileage lower, of course. Plan to go on a desert trip soon.
Have fun with yours...

Sally

Thanks Sally and Tom for your input,

Since my last Post I had an opportunity to weigh the truck before and after removing the Flip Pac. Before weight 4065 pounds. After 3640. Turns out the Flip Pac weight was 425 pounds not 325. After I remove the tailgate (another 100 pounds) I should be down to 3540. Adding the Eagle (say 600 pounds) puts me at a gross 4140 pounds - only a 75 pound difference.

I feel much better now with the slight weight difference as I don't think there will be that much difference in performance with my 4 cylinder.

Lastly, I have an idea how to boost the fuel milege. I will report on the results after I do the shell mods I have in mind.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Sally and Tom for your input,

Since my last Post I had an opportunity to weigh the truck before and after removing the Flip Pac. Before weight 4065 pounds. After 3640. Turns out the Flip Pac weight was 425 pounds not 325. After I remove the tailgate (another 100 pounds) I should be down to 3540. Adding the Eagle (say 600 pounds) puts me at a gross 4140 pounds - only a 75 pound difference.

I feel much better now with the slight weight difference as I don't think there will be that much difference in performance with my 4 cylinder.

Lastly, I have an idea how to boost the fuel milege. I will report on the results after I do the shell mods I have in mind.

Regards,

Jim

Looking forward to seeing your pix/descriptions of those mods sometime in the future, Jim. Good luck.
RicoV

After I remove the tailgate (another 100 pounds)

I'd be surpried if your tailgate weighs even 50 pounds...

Back
Top Bottom