FYI Sierra Death Ride this Saturday 7-11-15.

billharr

Ebbetts Pass and Monitor Pass will be closed Saturday. Not sure how the bicycle lobby got strong enough to close highways but they are. Death Ride Website.

coursemaplg.jpg

I've been up there the day before the ride. I wouldn't want to be there during the ride.

They always get the roads closed for the ride,at least until after the afternoon.
I love Ebbetts pass but not on a bike,no thanks.

If you ever go through Markleeville stop at the visitors center and check out the info and history of the ride.
Frank

Since this is considered a huge economic shot in the arm to Alpine County, Bill, I'd think that much more than a "bicycle lobby" is involved. There are some incredible athletes out doing this event. Go watch! Cheer them on!

This used to be known as the Markleeville Death Ride. Wayne Johnson is the person that I believe started it. He started United Bicycle Supply in Ashland, which was one of the largest importers of bike equipment in the US. I agree Mr. 3Pin, the ride would have a great economic impact to that area.

That said, I'm glad I'm not doing it!!!!

I have a friend who used to do pro rodeo. He took up riding a bike. He had never done that before. He heard about the Death Ride and signed up and did it. He went to a concert in Reno the night after the race with my brother. It was a normal, fun evening, as you would expect. After the concert my brother asked our friend, "Did you do the Death Ride today?" "Sure did," he answered. "How many summits did you do?" my brother asked. "All of them," our friend nonchalantly replied. "You look great and that's a brutal ride and you just took up bike riding!" my brother responded. "Never show pain," was the response that said it all.

craig333 said:
I've been up there the day before the ride. I wouldn't want to be there during the ride.
We camped on Monitor Pass one weekend during this event. Yes, driving there Friday afternoon was frustrating because of all the traffic generated by the event. But Saturday we walked from our campsite out to the road and watched the riders gasping for air as they rode by. Kind of fun in a twisted way. Should have been sitting in a lounge chair with a cooler of beer. That would have even been better. :p

Ted said:
We camped on Monitor Pass one weekend during this event. Yes, driving there Friday afternoon was frustrating because of all the traffic generated by the event. But Saturday we walked from our campsite out to the road and watched the riders gasping for air as they rode by. Kind of fun in a twisted way. Should have been sitting in a lounge chair with a cooler of beer. That would have even been better. :p
Monitor Pass Trip

Perhaps WTW members should volunteer to help at one of the aid stations?

Ted said:
Nah. If I set it up the "aid station" would be serving BBQ'd lamb and Plinys. We probably wouldn't be invited back.
...................or be the hit of the event, as you usually are my friend! :)

They seem to have plenty of volunteers. I volunteered for the Tevis Cup and the Western States run and never heard back from either one. I like Ted's idea though :p

If you volunteer as a ham to provide communications from the more remote areas back to the race organizers, you may get more invitations especially in areas with limited or no cell service. I volunteer for emergency comms in several events in Oregon each year. Doing so provides a useful service for the organization, helps keep my communication skills honed for a disaster situation such as a Cascade Subduction Zone earthquake or the severe winter storms we have. In addition, I get to work with emergency responders and get to know these great individuals and how to work with them in a realistic but lower adrenaline exercise than On the Job Training that an actual disaster would provide.

Getting a Technician ham license will suffice for all but specialized tasks and give you valuable experience for a more extreme situations. Your camper provides shelter and support for your own safety so that you are not likely to become someone needing rescue. I recommend taking the on line FEMA ICS classes 100, 200, 700 and get local CERT training so that you can better contribute and understand how the professionals are organized.

You might even discover some new places to boondock.
Paul

I even suggested I'd prefer the out of the way hard to reach places. I need figure out a way to mount my 8800 in the Jeep though the portable usually suffices.

I suspect that as the date got close they finally heard from some of their regulars.

Seems that my boss and our Marketing Director are up there riding this. More power to them, my speed is more to help Ted.

I've done that ride 12 times. It was always fun to see the campers who planned ahead and were camped up Ebbetts. They'd sit on the side of the road and cheer the riders. Great fun and the campsites were fairly empty and looked awesome. Occasionally you'd see someone fishing too.

Hats off to you kmcintyre! I have not ridden the Death Ride, but I have crossed over Sonora, Monitor, Ebbots, Carson, Pacific Crest, many, many times. Quite possibly the best cycling country in the world. I love that area!

Back
Top Bottom