Garmin Inreach Mini

Old Crow

Searching....
A new version of the Garmin Inreach (formerly the Delorme Inreach) device was announced this week.

This one is the Inreach Mini.

I took a quick look through the web site and several videos and will try to summarize:

Those of us with other Inreach devices will find it very familiar, i.e., the concepts are the same. You still use OK, Back, and Arrow keys to operate it and of course an SOS button is available. You still use the Garmin web portal (inreach.garmin.com) to manage your account and the device. It still communicates with your phone and the Earthmate app. And it appears subscription plans are still the same (I've not looked in detail at that so don't hold me to it).

On first glance, it's surprising to see the buttons have disappeared from the front of the unit. But they've just been moved to the sides. Up/Down on one side, OK/Back/SOS on the other (and power on top).

The screen is smaller and the user interface looks different. Again, the same concepts are used (i.e., 3 free Presets, Quick-Text messages, weather forecasts, etc)

The 'virtual keyboard' appears to be as clumsy as ever but different, now changing to scrolling through the alphabet with auto-complete trying to shorten the process. (And phone users will want to enter text from the app)

It appears there's no map. You can create a track in the web portal and upload it to the unit but to follow it you'd be looking at a very basic GPS display-- just a rotating arrowhead (with distance) or a spinning-compass view like you see in compass-equipped binoculars. It's better than nothing but you'll probably want to connect to a phone for maps or carry a standalone GPS (or maybe look at those paper maps you have along for backup and overview!)

And the Mini communicates with some Garmin fitness watches.

Also- the photos show a carabiner loop for carry but the accessories page shows quite a variety of mounts, adapters, lanyards, holsters, and clips. (click on the plus symbols or View All to expand them)

There's more detail and lots of photos in this Garmin Inreach Satellite Communicator In-Depth Review on this DC Rainmaker page.

Whattaya think, Wanderers?

Old Crow said:
A new version of the Garmin Inreach (formerly the Delorme Inreach) device was announced

Whattaya think, Wanderers?
I just bought an inreach se+ last fall

I don’t see myself replacing if it for a long time, my spot 2 lasted about 8 years. I do like the inreach capability’s over the spot.

The maps on the se+ are nice but with the tiny screen not real helpful it works best when I pair my iPad to it. The iPhone works well to msg with it. I don’t carry the iPad on my bikes and that’s the main reason I have one. I am in too many areas without cell coverage to not have a way to try to get assistance if needed.

Would this unit or others like it be a way to communicate on a basic level with a loved one in Namibia?

Wango said:
Would this unit or others like it be a way to communicate on a basic level with a loved one in Namibia?
Yup. You can text with these anywhere in the world.

I just noticed a couple of things .....

1. The battery of the Mini doesn't last as long.

Mini: "Up to 50 hours at 10-minute tracking with 2-minute logging (default); up to 30 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 20 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 1 year when powered off"

Explorer+ and SE+: "Up to 100 hours at 10-minute tracking mode (default); up to 75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 30 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 3 years when powered off"

I don't think that would matter to me but I suppose we each have to think through the implications of a shorter battery life and how we'd deal with it if we opted for the Mini.

2. This notice appears below the Add to Cart button (for all three models): NOTICE: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices. It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used.

Was that there before? (I don't remember seeing it when I bought my Delorme Explorer but may have missed it)

Perhaps the following from a New Zealand web site (for the Delorme model) gives us a clue:

Although the Iridium Network provides truly global service, use of the service may be prohibited or restricted in certain countries. Iridium complies with U.S. embargo restrictions and as such is prohibited from providing products and service to the following countries: Taliban controlled Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Sudan. Certain other countries may have laws which prohibit or restrict the use of Satellite Telecommunications services in those countries. The use of Satellite Telecommunications services is specifically prohibited in India without a permit. The use of Satellite Telecommunications devices or services may be prohibited, restricted or unlicensed in other countries. Since this is beyond Pivotel’s control and regulations may change without notice, Pivotel recommends checking with the local consulate for the country you will be travelling to if you are unsure.

I wouldn't think Namibia would be a problem but then again I'd have said the same of India.

I’ll stick with my inreach explorer because it works fine for me. I mostly use my iPhone paired with it so I suppose the interface on the actual device really does not mean much to me. If I were to purchase one today, I may consider the smaller size, but for now I’m very happy with what I have. Btw, as I’ve posted before, always check the details on your bill. I’ve had a couple of problems with erroneous billing. The most recent being that although I suspended my plan, I was still billed for a new month. A quick call to support fixed the issue.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom