gas milage with an Eagle/Tacoma

I wholeheartedly agree, Gas mileage has more to do with driving habits than gasoline blends; however, that's what keeps those Premium Pumps flowing. Good Luck on that

RC Jim: My rig weighs about 6400 lbs fully loaded (full camper) It has 62k on the odometer

I tend to agree on the lack of mpg improvement with premium, and a steady and light throttle improves gas mileage. I've only used regular in my Toyota trucks but did use premium on a high compression Landcruiser motor, that I had in an FJ60 to keep it from pinging.

I have a 88 toyota xtra cab. It has been running worse and worse for some time. I found a station that has no-ethanol gas for my boat motors. I have been using the premium non-ethanol for two years now. and I am impressed. My truck idles better has better power, and cold weather starts have improved with no growling and piston slap. I will never go back to the ethanol for that truck. Now my Tundra I ran non ethanol and I never saw a difference. Mileage actually got worse with the non-ethanol. Not sure why but that is what I saw.

And so the regular - premium debate continues.
My 2 cents - individual decision. We should each do what we personally "believe" works best for us. :)

New field data just in:

I just got back from a trip from Virginia to Wisconsin to get my new Fleet. The truck is a 2007 Tacoma with V6 engine and 6-speed manual transmission.

Going out: Empty truck (no tailgate), one occupant, cruising at about 62 MPH: 18.1 miles/gallon average

Coming back: Fleet front-dinette (empty except for corner jacks stowed inside), one occupant, crusing at about 60 MPH: average of 15.4 miles/gallon.

I'm a litttle disappointed with the 15.4 figure, but not sure what I could do to improve it. The camper will be heavier when it's full of gear and will mostly be traveling with two occupants. Getting off the Interstate and going slower would help...

- Bernard

Well......you could try a few tanks of premium...no promises, however you might be surprised - Bernard.
Just don 't admitted you were foolish enough to do it.

I just finished a trip to the bay area from socal. I didn't have my camper on which is the norm but I have been trying premium. With the cruise control set between 68-70 the majority of the trip I averaged 19mpg between four tanks. First tank on the way out was 91. Filled up at Kettleman City with 87. I was just under half a tank. So this was a blend essentially. Did the same thing on the way home. So it does make a difference.

2011 Eagle on 2.7 L 4wd Tacoma 2001. Just home from a 1000 mile trip to North Maine. We had 2 canoes on top and a 2hp motor in the back...beer food etc. My wife and I and my 60 lb dog. Going up we got 19.5 mpg and 18.5 on the way back (must be a nice Nor'easter wind at the back). I have a wind foil on the front which helps a lot... see photo

Attachments

• Eagle .jpg
    Eagle .jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 183
Buckland that is fantastic milege. Yours is another example of the milege you can get running NON-California gas.

Since you are running the 4 cylinder how is the performance over 60 mph and going up hills?

What is the milege with just the camper and the truck? (no canoes, outboard, wife, dog, food, beer, etc.)

Is yours the full camper model? or the "modified" shell?

Well It is a full camper model with an Engel fridge.I pulled out the couch back rest and on this trip had no water on board. I feel like a jockey on a mule going up steep inclines. But that said on the high way it does 70 easy. When the truck is empty (winter I have 2 350 lb cement blocks in back for traction... I live in the hills and we get mega snow. As I have the air bags and an extra leaf it is too light in the back without. I get 22 highway and 20 around town w/o all the weight so I feel blessed. It has got to be the head wind factor. It can really make a lot of difference. The unpacked camper is near 20 on highway and 18-ish in town.

Ah yes envy.... I wish it wash't such a long drive to get out west. Wandering the open spaces... we have Maine out here which is very wild and then one must go to Boundary waters in Minnesota... The Adirondack Mts in NY are beautiful but it is mostly trails, hiking canoeing ...so camping by back pack. All else is camp ground... I like the wild any day. I am planning on getting out there one day!!!

You would love the desert and the Mining history....Still standing.....as land is protected....
in fact until it burned down a few years ago you could explore the old "Manson family" ranch where he was arrested in 1969. Spookie, place I would not want to camp overnight or spend much time at by myself. Located in Death Valley a National Park.

I will get there...just a few more years to go unless I go in the summer. (My wife is still teaching). But my hope is to bug outta here after a couple months of Northeast winter and just skip February and March, The rest is fine. I love the seasons here but winter is lonnnnggg.

Just returned from a 3 week trip to and through Oregon.

Total Miles 2,408 Overall milege 16.6

Milege up 15.7 (4 tanks)
Milege there 17.5 (3 tanks) 50-55mph

Milege home from Gold Beach, Oregon down coast Hywy 101-20 (Clear Lake) to Williams (I-5) through Sacramento. Hyway 50-16-49 (old Gold Mining towns from the 1840-1900) south
to Fresno H-41 to I-5 then home....17.5 avg.(5 tanks) 50-65 mph
Range 17.2 - 17.9 burning Chevron Premium (better performance- better milege<1 mpg>)

Worst Leg 15.11. Ran truck 3 hours on idle (one hour every 12-17 hours to charge camper battery) one tank. lowered my average.

Kept highway speed at 65mph most of trip home on I-5. Occasionally drove 70-75 to match traffic flow.

I've stopped looking at my mileage - It's just to depressing. It seems like my mileage is always way less than others report both here and on Tacoma related sites. However I love my truck/camper and if I can't afford the gas then I shouldn't own it. My truck runs much better on premium - no knocking or lag when accelerating.
Cheers

Hi Captm,
It just a game anyway. This subject began 30 years ago when my buddies who own diesel trucks were always bragging that their diesels were so much better than gas trucks.

I once did the research and discovered the break even miles to justify the diesel was .....100,000 miles. At the time I was driving my full size 4- door Chevy 454 big block carrying my Lance camper and pulling the ski boat about 2,000 miles per year. It never would have penciled out .

Even when my friends added turbo-charging.....I still passed them going up the grapevine. We loved the performance of that truck.

Now we still argue the fine points of each.

It always was and still is personal preference. Gas price or mileage never was a consideration when I bought the truck and camper. Personally I just prefer smaller vehicles as they are easier to run errands in and park. I'm still amazed that Toyota can get excellent performance and gas mileage out of a 4WD truck and still provide a comfortable ride.

2014 Double Cab Tacoma
4.0 V6, Automatic, 373 rear end,
Using regular gas (87 octane)
ATC Bobcat (same as FWC Fleet)
Two adults and a months worth of gear

Just returned from a 9,500 mile Alaska trip. The truck had just over 2,000 miles on it when we left. As the trip progressed and the truck broke in, the mileage increased. Based on feedback from WTW members I added a Yakima fairing just before we left, and made a concerted effort to keep the speed down. Aside from being a bit heavier than the Eagle, the Bobcat (Fleet) extends beyond the fenders several inches on each side, making for a less aerodynamic package. Average fuel mileage for the entire trip was 16.84 mpg, however, the average for the last 20 fill-ups was 17.33, and I think that number will likely be typical now that the truck is broken in. As a side note, my 2006 Tacoma used to consistently average 16.25 on long trips, so I am pleased 17.33. I hope this was helpful - -Richard

Thanks for sharing Richard.
We Tacoma owners love our trucks.......
Great average gas mileage.

We have 17,500 miles on ours. I believe they are just breaking in around 24,000. ...That's when the '99 started really running well.

Truck have gotten larger over the years. Did you know our 2 nd gen Tacomas are only about 10" shorter and half inch narrower than the first gen Tundra? ...And same footprint a a 1971 Ford F 150 ?

Back
Top Bottom