gas strut roof lifters - how to R and R?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I had a set of gas strut roof lifters installed on my FWC and they worked great - until I added a solar panel to the front section of the roof. Now it's pretty difficult to raise the front, and impossible for my wife to do it.

The gas struts are 40 lb, and I decided to replace with 60 lb struts. To order them, I had to measure the extended length, so I popped off one end and measured it. Then, when I tried to pop it back on again, I ran into trouble. I couldn't keep the strut short for a long enough time to line it up. I popped up the roof to allow the spring to almost all the way extended, and now I can get the end almost on - but it won't slip over the ball and "pop" into place. I still have to fight with it, since it wants to open about an inch longer then the distance between the mounting points, so it's not like I can take my time lining things up.

I realize when I get the new 60 lb struts, this process is going to be even more difficult!

Any suggestions to make this easier?

Thanks.

LookyLou - I like that idea. I will be facing this same issue over the weekend. I am replacing my 60 lb struts with 40 lb ones. I spoke with Shaw at FWC to get some pointers before starting the process. He said to install the bottom end, have someone brace the ladder and then pull down to compress slightly while fitting. Sounds like it needs a fair bit of elbow grease (which will only be more difficult with the 60 lb ones).

The struts are not too hard to compress when they are off the truck. Maybe compress a few inches then install lower end first. Slowly release cinch strap until length is correct, then install top side?

Follow up post - Swapped out my 60 lb struts for 40 lb ones. LookyLou's suggestion worked great. I left the top down to pop off the old struts. Used a small flat blade screwdriver to lift the clip back one end of the strut and then popped off the strut using the screwdriver to gently pry it off. Once the strut was free on one end and expanded, I did the same to the other end. Took maybe 10 min to remove all 4.

To reinstall the new ones I popped one end of the strut on (furthest end away from me), then used a ratchet strap around the strut to gently compress it an inch or so. This allowed me to line it up and then pop on the other end.

Whole operation took about 1/2 hour time.

Jason

Thanks for the great input. Hopefully I'll have time to give this a shot tomorrow using a ratchet strap.

Back
Top Bottom