Generator Question

Mic

Advanced Member
I just got my deer tags..Yippie!!
First hunting year with my eagle!!!
I have solar, two batteries, etc. I will be on my own...I have tent camped lots and lots...even stayed in the truck canopy and have been pretty happy!!!
This should be wonderful!!!
But I am thinking I might want a small generator because I bet the sun won't be out much {Thanksgiving week} and the trees will most likely block out some too?!
So I just want something to top off the batteries every few days should I need too!
I have been out so far on a number of trips for 4-5 even 6 nights with no issues but this will be a bit different!
I am looking at the Honda 1000!?
I think the weight is right and noise is good! Gas usage low low!!! {I will have extra gas with me for the ATV any way}
Any thoughts??
Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 172
Mic, either the Honda or Yamaha 1000 will be perfect for you. The Yamaha does have a fuel shutoff valve, but I am not sure the Honda does. It comes in handy when running the carburetor dry.

Mic - I have been very happy with my Honda 2000 over the past year. No complaints and quite frugal on fuel.

I have a Honda 1000. I am very happy with it and it is fine for charging batteries (@ 8 amps I think). I have also run a small microwave off of it. I use Tru-fuel in it so I don't have to worry about ethanol, which is a real problem for small engines when it sits. If you rarely use your generator you might want to check it out. It's a bit expensive if you use it daily.

cdbrow1 said:
I have a Honda 1000. I am very happy with it and it is fine for charging batteries (@ 8 amps I think).
Instead of using the DC dumb battery charging output on the Honda, just plug the AC output into the camper AC input and let the Iota smart charge camper batteries at 30 amps. You'll use much less fuel.

I use a regular AC input smart battery charger on my EU2000i for charging other batteries. Very handy in the annual power outages we have here with winter storms.

Paul

Lots of good advice here. I have a Honda EU1000i and it's plenty powerful for charging. I plug my Hawk's shore power cord in to the generator and let the camper's IOTA power converter/battery charger do the job of charging the camper house battery. If the IOTA in your camper didn't come with the IQ4 accessory <http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm> I strongly recommend adding one, as have several other forum posters. The IQ 4 allows the IOTA battery charger to operate as an automatic 4-Stage "Smart Charger."

Although the Honda does have a 12 volt output, most people discourage the use of that 12 volt output for battery charging. While it might be OK to start charging a nearly-discharged battery, the 12 volt output is unregulated and cannot do a quality charge like the IOTA/IQ4 combination.

Also, some people have recommended that you disconnect your solar charger from the battery while charging with the IOTA. That's because even though the solar system may not be receiving enough sunlight to do much charging, it may be outputting enough voltage to fool the IOTA smart charger into thinking the battery is more charged than it actually is. I haven't had a chance to check this concern out yet, but it does seem plausible.

I carry a Honda EX350 "lunch box" generator. They haven't been made for years. Small size,19 pounds, 2 stroke, very quiet. Puts out 4-6 amps of 12v or 110. I have it wired with the same disconnect plug the camper so it plugs right in.

cwd

Go with the Honda, I had my couch lower cabinet built a little to allow the Honda to store under the roll over couch, I do not use the Honda much for the camper. I use it mostly to charge the batteries in my boat. Make sure you the Honda out of gas before you store it or you will a heck of a time starting it the next time.

Mic, I was once like you. I tent camped for hunting and grew tired of that. I camped in my camper shell for several years and it was okay for me. I moved up to a Hawk in 2013. I hunt out of mine and love it. When I ordered my camper the only experience I had with heaters was in old camp trailers and pop up trailers. I would turn on the furnace and in one night the battery was dead. So I ordered the camper without a heater. I wish I would have got it now but I am making do pretty well. I use a Coleman Buddy heater. I also have the Honda 2000i generator.
At the end of the day I use the generator to fill the batteries. I plug the shore power into the generator. I also kick back watch a movie and have all the lights I want. If it is real cold I have a very small electric heater I use. It is 1500 watts but is about 1/2 the size of a shoe box.
I found a setting that will run for a while and shut down. I have used that heater a lot and like it. I have the extended run pack on my generator so I can hook it to a 6 gal boat gas tank. I will run forever on that.
I use only no ethanol gas in all my small motors. ATVs, Motorcycles, boats, and the generator. I also use marine grade Stabil in the gas as well. I have zero trouble starting any of them even if they sit for several months. The Honda 2000i has a fuel dump that you can open and drain the carb if your not going to use it for a long time.
Last I wired my house with a transfer switch. I can hook the Honda to the house and run most of my house with it. The extended run tank is SUPER handy when it comes to running the house after a storm. The Honda 2000i is a great generator and has a lot of uses other than camping. Running power tools is a handy item when you need power in a remote place.

Wow Thanks so much!!! I am going with the Honda!!!
Should make a good Thanksgiving week of hunting!!!!

I literally just bought the Yamaha 2000i a couple of days ago. I've had to use it about 6 hours a day for some work I'm doing and so far it's worked like a champ. Hope it continues to do so.

My Yamaha 1000 has been going for close to 15 years. Only two hiccups, both my fault. I've got the 2800, too, for power outages and pushing the AC on the travel trailer. I like them. Eithe Honda or Yamaha will do a great job for you.

While the Hondas do not have a fuel shut off, there are a couple hacks on youtube that show you how to put one in. Just remember to shut off the fuel before you shut off the generator, or it does no good. Let the carb run out of fuel and the generator die. Mine takes an extra pull or 2 to start. No biggie. Also remember to pack a can of Seafoam, and use an ounce or two every fill up.

Back
Top Bottom