Getting kayaks on and off the roof

telebrewer

Advanced Member
I have the track mounted racks and I want to bring two kayaks down to Baja next month. I know I can't lift the lid with them on top. Does anyone out there have a slick method to easily load and unload kayaks? My Dodge sits high and I'm thinking of hauling a ladder with me. Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.

Sounds like a sweet trip. I have Yak trax too and my FWC came with a pair of Yak Hullivators.
I understand they are pricey, but it does allow my GF and I the ability to load a 15' tandem kayak using only my camper step stool.

We brought two kayaks to Mendocino using the hullivator to lift them one at a time, with me having to climb over the roof to tie things down. A six foot ladder would have been useful.

As far as lifting goes, we could only lift the top with one boat on top and then it took both of us. Plus we had to take the tandem off the roof every night (and lift it back to the hullivator, about chest high on my Tundra). Not that much fun for a couple of 50 yr olds. I ordered two sets of suspa lifters after that trip, which has made lifting the top much easier. I'm sure it will be easier with one boat, but I'm not sure if we could pop the top with two kayaks.

Keep us posted on what you decide and I would enjoy a baja post-trip report too!

Telebrewer,

I have the same basic setup you have and carry 2 Prism kayaks. My Granby has the Yakima tracks and I've installed 3 cross bars. The front bar has the Yakima saddles, the center bar has the Yakima hully rollers and the rear bar has a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe over it. The rear bar is mounted as far back as possible.

It takes 2 people to load the kayaks. With one person lifting the back of the kayak I use my step stool to lift the front and place it on the rear cross bar. It is then slid forward over the PVC pipe and into the hully roller. From there you can roll it into the saddles. I have the steps on the back of the camper so I use those to get the rear straps attached. For the front straps I stand on the seat and/or window opening.

Attachments

• 100_1741.jpg
    100_1741.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1829.jpg
    100_1829.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_1824.jpg
    100_1824.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 231
I put a variety of stuff on my roof and frequently it's two scupper pro 14ft ocean kayaks. Given my variety of stuff, i'm not sure the rollers and saddles would work for me (one more thing to take on and off my racks, YMMV)

I load them from the side, via my wheel step and can do it solo, although having a 2nd person makes it easier. I'd have to say, the wheel step is probably the single best piece of equipment for the camper, and has many uses.

getting the straps on is done from my back step, for the rear ones, and from my truck door for the front.

Rob

I have the track mounted racks and I want to bring two kayaks down to Baja next month. I know I can't lift the lid with them on top. Does anyone out there have a slick method to easily load and unload kayaks? My Dodge sits high and I'm thinking of hauling a ladder with me. Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.

Check out my thread on the roof lifter I made.If needed it makes lifting the roof up and lowering a bit easier even with the suspa lifters.Anything to save the back.I carry a 12' canoe which with things inside it goes about 70#.Easy for the two of us to put on and take off but if we get tired and need to put the top up the leverage lifter comes in handy.

Frank

I put a variety of stuff on my roof and frequently it's two scupper pro 14ft ocean kayaks. Given my variety of stuff, i'm not sure the rollers and saddles would work for me (one more thing to take on and off my racks, YMMV)

I load them from the side, via my wheel step and can do it solo, although having a 2nd person makes it easier. I'd have to say, the wheel step is probably the single best piece of equipment for the camper, and has many uses.

getting the straps on is done from my back step, for the rear ones, and from my truck door for the front.

Rob

Whats a wheel step?

Back
Top Bottom