'Giving Back' while travelling, what to do ?

klahanie

I imagine many here have reached an age where thoughts sometimes turn to "giving back".

>>Optional long part follows:

I expect many of us were taught to never show up to an invite empty handed; if staying with someone, to chip in for gas or groceries etc. - in short, to always pay your turn.

And I'm sure when travelling, some of us may stop to offer assistance, offer a phone call or ride, or carry a little extra water, fuel, tools or whatever, just in case we meet someone broken down.

What I'm wondering about is the idea of "paying back" for the freedom to travel thru and enjoy the amenities and communities of the places we visit.

One of the great things about camping and car travelling is that, once you have the gear, it can be relatively inexpensive. I know many of us like to camp for "free" and are mindful of expenses when away from home.

For eg. the fellow from Europe I recently met while hiking on a local trail. He had been camping nearby for a few days, wrapping up an 18 month extensive car camping tour of Canada and the USA. He was pointedly pleased with himself in that he had only spent money on store bought food and gas (he had bought and sold a car in country). Never went to a restaurant, or a paid attraction (small business), or a community museum, paid for a camp site or purchased a camping/back country permit - in either country.

Later, sweating thru some of my anonymous, volunteer, trail clearing and brushing I reflected on our conversation and I had a, somewhat delayed, "now wait a minute" moment... Now, in fairness, he had come to Canada on a work visa (yes, taking away a local's job but that's another subject), and when I asked, first said he had worked 2 month then later said 6 months total. Most jobs included room and board. The rest of the time had bumped around my country and yours (USA). Well, good for him. I wished him well.

But it got me thinking, wouldn't it be nice if a person did that but added in some sort of contribution to the host area. And more importantly, what can I do going forward ?

>>End long part

So what of it ? Are we past the time of giving pencils out to local school kids or crocheted miniature animals. Donating books to small communities. Garbage pick up. Drop a few coins for the local cause at the corner store. Buy local crafts. ???

Am looking for ideas of how to give back while we travel.

Thanks for reading
~David

just to add, of course I respectfully acknowledge many have already paid forward, most notably our Veterans currently serving Military Personnel. Some do community work or serve in other ways. We all pay taxes etc., though we know it's not all about money.

But on top of all that - as if that wasn't enough - and specific to travelling, I welcome your thoughts....

Howdy

What a great topic....it can be an enormous bonus to we "travelers" to volunteer here or there while on the road or enroute.

I hope we can engage a healthy long forumn discourse on the ways we all have volunteered or helped out the regions we pass thru.

One place to learn about opportunities is Volunteer.gov, a US federal clearing house for scores of volunteers posts in the states open to our northern neighbors as well.

Many of these federal, state and county volunteer ops go well beyond the typical "camp host" role to include real supportive roles.

Of course many less formal ways of giving back occur on the road....senior meal sites, rounding up lost cattle, removing invasive weeds, picking up trash.....help us really get to know a region and meet the folks who call it home.

David Graves

I try to be self sufficient so I don't have to stop for food and supplies however, I try and make it a point to stop for food and supplies in the local communities I pass through.

Longer term volunteering will have to wait until I'm retired.

At https://www.volunteer.gov/ under US Geological Service, there is an opportunity that many WanderTheWesters may find of interest.
It was being a Volunteer Map Editor. Task can be performed anywhere with internet access and involves verifying structure data for USGS maps. It can be done at home.

Paul

When we travel we tend to stay on the back roads and when we stop, try to patronize local small business rather than the large franchises. As for volunteering, we haven't done that while we travel but we do volunteer quite a bit at home. I am impressed by the campgound hosts we have met, but I don't think that job would suit us. I could see us helping with trail maintenance and such.

A couple of easy things to:

We happened to be in a campground. We paid for 3 nights but only stayed 2. Rather than ask for a refund we asked the camp host allow the next folks that showed up to stay on our dime.

The other thing we often do is on the rare occasions we dine out we often pick out another patron(s) and secretly pay for their meal.

For both instances we ask that if the recipient is thankful, we ask our enabler to ask them to pay it forward if or when ever they are in a position to do so.

Back
Top Bottom