Glacier NP

norcalhawk

FYI....Going-To-The-Sun road in Glacier National Park, will be completely open on Friday, 06/19/2015. From West Glacier to St. Mary, this has been described as one of the most iconic roads in America.

~Happy Trails

+many

There is something about GNP that reminded me that there's something much bigger than me out there and that I should really get out and appreciate it. Although, Yosemite and Death Valley are close behind.

Paul

Thinking on a late Aug trip there also, been many years since I've been there, been wanting to get back.

Anyone familiar with the campgrounds and area on the west side of the Park, Bowman Lake, Kinta Lake, and or areas outside the park on the west side?

We went to Bowman lake in 09 over labor day time.Plenty of room.It's a nice quiet place with some hikes to other small lakes nearby.
The Fish Creek CG is an ok place to start,might take reservations,not sure but again we drove up and had no problems finding a nice spot.
You can take the free shuttle up to "going to the sun area"makes it nice as you can look for the animals and not have to think about the drive.Than if you go to the east side you can drive it.
Haven't been to Kinta lake but it should be much like Bowman.
Stop at Polebridge for a "berry bearclaw" yummie.
Fishing is "free" in the park but not many fish.
Have a good time. Late Aug/Sept is a good time ti visit.
The sheep are on the trail out of the visiters center at "going to the sun"stop.
Polebridge in just before you reenter the park to go to Bowman Lk.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN2972_2_2.jpg
    DSCN2972_2_2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN2992_2_2.jpg
    DSCN2992_2_2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 125
Bowmen lake is nice. Road going up was a little bummby, not real bad. Apgar campground nice, but pretty busy. If you stay there, take a boat ride. Has bike trails too. Enjoy your trip. Mitch

Back
Top Bottom