GPS, Kia Optima, Mojave Desert.......................

I was almost going to say "old news" when I realized this is a new incident. Sad this stuff keeps happening. Glad she was rescued safely this time.

There is no complete substitute for maps, a compass, and the ability to use them.

This obviously could have been another case of "death by GPS". Why people do this utterly confounds me. It's one matter to rent a car in an unfamiliar city and rely on GPS to get around town. Entirely another to drive off into the country with nothing to guide you other than a mass-produced gadget programmed by the winner of a low bid process.

Good grief.

Foy

I'm thankful the woman is okay. At least, for the most part, it looks like she stayed with her vehicle. Vehicles are easier to find, especially if your only survival plan is being found. Since we do not have GPS navigation is our vehicles, it is hard for me to fathom how dependent the masses are on a little gadget.

I am guilty of relying on GPS now. For the most part it is fairly accurate but not in more rural areas. I have been lost when my phone service failed and I use my phone GPS. It is scary, especially in the back woods of West Virginia where the roads are mainly unpaved and narrow. Learning from all the folks here, I will get a dedicated GPS and also download maps so if I get lost I can navigate my way out.
Right now just a convertible and lots of camera stuff. Eventually a truck and camper. I was going to pull the trigger on a truck this year but Ford announced the 3/4 ton aluminum body for next year so thought I'd wait. Looking at an Alaskan Camper and payload is vital so I'll take the extra 4-500 pounds I'll get from the aluminum body if I like the truck :)
Love this site and all of the nice people on it!

ski3pin said:
I'm thankful the woman is okay. At least, for the most part, it looks like she stayed with her vehicle. Vehicles are easier to find, especially if your only survival plan is being found. Since we do not have GPS navigation is our vehicles, it is hard for me to fathom how dependent the masses are on a little gadget.
It's easier to fathom, when you're trying to find an address out on Loose Gravel Road in Bum Deal, Missouri. ;)

For typical highway/find a house navigation, they're great. For cross country, not so great. Common sense needs to come into play.

Here is a similar, but map-based story. In June of 2009 we were in Death Valley at the Thorndike CG (located between the "bee hive" kilns and Mahogany Flats CG) in Wild Rose Cyn. An aging couple from Great Britain in a rented Hyundai sedan were on their way from Las Vegas to San Francisco and decided to detour through DV. When leaving the Valley on Hwy. 190 they misread their map, made a wrong turn, and ended up in Wild Rose Cyn. Confident that they were heading in the right direction, they ignored the first sign that says "High Clearance Vehicles Recommended." Still certain that they were on a road that would ultimately lead them to San Francisco, they continued on past the second sign that reads "High Clearance Vehicles Required." When you get to the kilns the road begins a steep ascent up to the Mahogany Flat CG (situated at approx. 8,000 foot elevation) and there is a sign stating "Four Wheel Drive Required Beyond This Point," but on they went. Here, the road deteriorates greatly and it is a loose, rocky climb to the top. Undaunted by the challenge, and still believing that the highway to SF must be coming up pretty soon, they moved a few hundred yards forward before they ran out of gas! Some campers from Mahogany, who were descending picked them up and drove the husband to the visitor's center in search of a ranger. Sometime after dark an NPS Ranger brought them back, put five gallons of gas in the Hyundai, and helped them navigate it off of the mountain. He then followed the couple to the Panamint Springs Resort where they got a room for the night. While this was not a life threatening situation, as there were people at both of the campgrounds to help them, it did speak to the stubbornness of some humans. The entire time that the ranger was "rescuing" them, the wife was loudly complained that the map was faulty and the Park Service had "ruined their holiday!" Sorry for such a long post.

Might be long, but another enlightening story. Thanks Missing Link. It also points out that the majority of people go out of their way to help. I tink that should always be recognized.

As an aside - I recently attended a Verbal Judo class. It's focus was on making contact with visitors to public lands. One story related, similar to the end of your story, was a volunteer being verbally abused by a woman because "they" - the agency - had turned off all the waterfalls and ruined their vacation.

Back
Top Bottom