GPS & Mount

whybother

For my truck I currently have a simple Magellan Roadmate 1220. It has served me pretty well over the past couple of years. Recently I've had lots of issues with the suction cup mount coming off of my dashboard frequently. And now the cigarette charger doesn't work. I can buy a new charger (~$20), but I'm not even sure if that s the issue or if it is the unit itself. I checked with Magellan and it is out of warranty.
So, I'm thinking about buying a new unit all together. I am looking at different Garmin models, because I have a Dakota 20 and a Gekko 201, and I like the products. I am thinking about the Nuvi 1250 , because it is a simple unit that comes with all of North America street maps (including AK, CA, & Mex).The price is good also, and amazon has factory refurbished units for a steal. Any thoughts on this or other models to consider? How much better is a wide-screen display?
And, to address the suction cup issue, I am looking at dash mounts. I don't mind putting a permanent mount on my dashboard, but then it'd be harder to transfer the unit between vehicles (rentals, friends, etc...). The bean bag mounts look too bulky, so I'm looking at friction mounts. Anybody have any experience with these? I don't do much real 4-wheeling, but I spend a fair amount of time on dirt/washboard forest service roads. Will this guy stay put? Any other options/advice?

Thanks for the replies; I am always keen on seeing what other people are doing.

SunMan: that looks like a sweet setup, just not what I'm looking for. I'm basically looking for a (userfriendly) gps unit for normal travel on roads around the west/AK/CA/Mexico.I have a Dakota 20 for navigating on foot. And if I ever get real frisky, I have a Delormme Earthmate to track on my netbook.

Natjwest: cool app, but I am a Windows Mobile user (can't wait for Windows Phone 7 to be released on Verizon!). Also, I don't want to have to rely on consistent cell service in order to navigate.

Natjwest: cool app, but I am a Windows Mobile user (can't wait for Windows Phone 7 to be released on Verizon!). Also, I don't want to have to rely on consistent cell service in order to navigate.

I am *really* not trying to sell you on the app, but just to correct a misconception. The cell phone GPS apps don't run on any cell signal during use. The only time they need connectivity is to download current traffic conditions, map updates, etc. This is the exact reason why I got the app over built-in Map nav app on the phone. It works when far far from a cell signal. Provided you have a GPS chip on your phone, which the iPhone does. The TomTom app downloads 3-4 gigabytes of maps to the phone and then runs offline.

I am *really* not trying to sell you on the app, but just to correct a misconception. The cell phone GPS apps don't run on any cell signal during use. The only time they need connectivity is to download current traffic conditions, map updates, etc. This is the exact reason why I got the app over built-in Map nav app on the phone. It works when far far from a cell signal. Provided you have a GPS chip on your phone, which the iPhone does. The TomTom app downloads 3-4 gigabytes of maps to the phone and then runs offline.

That seems really slick. Maybe they'll make a Windows Phone 7 app.

Back
Top Bottom