Grand Canyon noob.

On the South rim...

Mather is like a zoo in the Summer, however, it might be OK this time of year. You can check for reservations and see if you can find a spot without neighbors. Once you arrive if you find that you have neighbors, you can go back to the campground entrance to see if there are other campsites available that might be open & better for you. You can set-up once and walk to the shuttle bus stops pretty easily. Our neighbors were about three spaces away from us on one side and the other side was about 7 spaces away. There is a significant amount of night time road noise from everywhere in Mather. They do have a shower house. Elk & deer walk the area at night.

Outside the park, south of Tusayan by 2.5 miles and south of the RIM by about 8 miles is "Ten X" campground that is very nice. You'll be driving into the park anytime you want to go there, however, the campground hosts that I experienced there last Fall had a little sign that they put on my fee tag post that said I was out exploring, so no one took my space. The place was close to Hwy 64, however, we did not hear any night time traffic sounds like at Mather. The campground was about 1/3 full last Fall.

On the North Rim...

Higher elevation than the South Rim, so watch for weather... snow, etc., and the whole area might even still be closed until May. So, for future reference...

I've never been able to stay at the North Rim campground, it's always full, however, reservations are possible. Totally less zoo like on the North Rim. And, from the campground you can walk everywhere.

From Jacob Lake (gas available, junction of Hwy 89A & 67) it is about 20 miles as the crow flies going south to DeMotte Campground, outside the park entrance, Sort of like Ten X, however, smaller and not quite as nice. It's about another 15 miles to the North Rim.

Just south of DeMotte, is a west turn on Road 22, near Deer Lake (a small pond or depression when no water is present) that will take you about 8-9 miles on the dirt to the DRY PARK meadow and dispersed/free camping. Road 22 is marked as one way to get to Freedonia, all dirt, about 50 miles (better later in the year when there is little rain or snow, if it's even open).

The road to Cape Royal and Point Imperial are not to be missed, however, like the rest of the area will probably be closed until May. No camping near these areas, it's all inside the park.

That's it from me.

Kilroy, South Rim Grand Canyon. If you are looking for wilderness camping there are two areas that I know. First is down the forest service road just east of Grandview point off of RT 64. You will need to drive south on this gravel road about one mile to exit the Park boundry and onto forest service land. Beautiful forest and at large camping greet you. Also a fire lookout tower to climb if open. The other area is west and south of the south rim village. Follow the directions to the dog kennel and keep on driving to exit the park onto forest service land. A forest service map will made all very clear. Mather campground is not bad for me because it eliminates the need to drive. Shuttle bus will take you to all areas along the rim and village. Also showers at the campground, bring your quarters.

There is a NF campground north of the north rim campground about 12 miles or so, it was good enough. We did not have any reservation. That was in sept. two years ago. Mitch

For the North Rim, there are miles and miles of well maintained dirt roads in the Kaibab National Forest. There are lots of camp locations, many with canyon views. There is a visitor center in Jacob Lake but nothing there opens until about May 1. I have led mountain bike trips up there for years and there are lots of places in the Kaibab where you will have the place to yourself.

For North Rim turn south from 89A onto 8910. This road will lead you to various awesome spots along the Colorado River. We didn't camp there but saw numerous fire rings. Also, Tuweep/Toroweap is great too.

If you have the time i would encourage Tuweap/Toroweap. Beautiful area, you now reserve the spots in advance through the backcountry office. They pulled all the fire rings out of the campground last year to make so don't plan on having a campfire while there.

IMGP2268.JPG

IMGP2283.JPG

Some good comments so far.

Theres a lot of National Forest all around the area. Get a National Forest map, most of the dirt roads are marked. I used to camp all over that area, just boondocking in National Forests, never in developed campgrounds.

I wouldnt leave anything of value laying around, but otherwise I think its pretty safe.

The North Rim is awesome, as noted, and far less people. It may be closed for some time yet. I've made it in past the closed gate on the hwy south of Jacobs Lake on Forest Service roads. We had the place pretty much to ourselves. The North Rim may noty be exactly on your way. Its about 200 road miles from Flag I believe.

In the Flag area, Wupatki National Monument is pretty cool if you like Indian Ruins, as is Walnut Canyon just east of Flag. If heading south from Flag, the drive is pretty in any event, but going through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona is an especially pretty drive. Theres more Indian Ruins in the Sedona/Verde Valley area ( Polatki near Sedona, and Tuzigoot in Cottonwood), some pretty easily accessible and dont take too long, like Montezumas Well. Theres a lot of National Forest in the Sedona/Verde Valley area also, some, like some of the canyons close to Sedona is semi-restricted in use (have to pay fees) and some is wide open and you can camp wherever you want.

Youtube has tons of vids of all sorts of places mentioned also. Good refernce to get an idea about a place or area.

Look up Sedona on youtube, theres some really good vids, like this one.

Back
Top Bottom