Grand Teton Nat'l Park Recommendations?

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Hi all - I've got a trip planned to Yellowstone at the end of the month, and due to some work commitments freeing up I am able to extend that by a few days and thought I'd take a detour through Grand Teton on the way up. While I've been to Yellowstone many times, I haven't spent much time at all in Grand Teton and looking for some suggestions. Any favorite hikes or campgrounds? Thx

To camp IMO your best bet is the Gros Ventre campground.
It's first come first serve,but it rarely fills.There are a lot of nice spots and separate areas for the BIG RVs.
For a nice hike try Phelps Lk. trail. Take the Moose Junction road just past the visitors center and go to the left to the
Rockefeller Center. The road is signed for no travel in RVs/bus's bet our rigs are OK.
On your way north to Yellowstone there are some nice hikes at the Colter Bay CG.
Watch for the moose at the G V camp during the year spring/fall they hang out there.
Check out my blog for our last trips there in the spring/fall 2015.
Have a great time.I have tried to get some camp spots in Yellowstone this June/July but haven't had any luck.
Frank

Thanks - am really looking forward to the trip. Great pictures too Frank.

I'm tentatively planning 3 nights at Gros Ventre and 1 or so at Colter (daughter is eyeing the swim beach, but I bet the water is still chilly!).

Looks like you probably already did your trip, hope you liked it.

We stayed in Colter Bay last year for a few nights after Yellowstone chewed us up and spit us out.

There is a cool driving trip in Grand Tetons if you want to do some light offroading for a few hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/CrVdvaUpqpz

At 43.699184, -110.726772, you can take the dirt road east towards the Snake River. The road is marked with signs warning against taking it without 4x4, so it scares the city slickers off. It takes about 15 minutes to get out to the river, and then the road goes north along the bluffs over the river. There's nothing all that spectacular out there, but it is nice to get away from the crowds and eat a sandwich on the tailgate while watching the rafting trips float by below you, with the Tetons looking over your shoulder. The road connects back to pavement to the north. We ended up turning back after an hour and leaving the way we came; we read a few online warnings about the road conditions to the north, but it probably would have been fine. We didn't even come close to using 4x on the parts that we did see.

Back
Top Bottom