Grandby Anchor Location Measurements

Jon R

I have a Grandby on order. I want to prepare the truck bed anchor points myself with good reinforcement before the delivery installation, but I could not find detailed dimensional information to locate the anchor bolt holes on line. The video on the FWC web site is for a Hawk. So I just went to Mule Outfitters today and measured a Grandby, and thought I’d share the information in case it can help someone else.

The front bumpers are just over 3.5 inches. The distance from the plane of the front of the bumper (the front wall of the truck bed) to the forward anchor point on the camper is 17 inches. The distance from the front of the bumper to the rear anchor point on the camper is 69 inches. The distance from the front of the bumper to the front surface of the wide part of the floor tub at the back is 75.5 inches. (This limits how far aft you can place the rear anchor bolts.). The anchor points are 3 inches outboard of the sides of the floor tub. Hopefully my terminology is clear if it’s non-standard.

The eye bolt measurements vary from camper to camper.

There are also different tie down locations depending on the camper floor plan.

Best to get Measurements from FWC Service Department or your local dealer before drilling holes in your bed.

Tks

I was worried about this when I got my Eagle a long time ago. I think that the location is really flexible depending on your truck. I would suggest that you use backing plates on your truck (I used on the top and bottom of the bed) since you have time. That could dictate too where you put the holes/eye bolts. Also use high quality, forged, etc. eye bolts.

The actual location of the eye bolts in the bed of the truck will vary depending on the build of the camper. If the camper is a Grandby Side Dinette, Rollover Couch or, Shell model, the measurements will be 12" and 76" from the front of the bed. If it is a Front Dinette, the porthole doors are in a different location, thus moving the eyebolt locations slightly at, 11" and 74" from the front of the bed. Both measurements are pulled from the front of the bed wall, not from each other. Also, the 3" out rule is determined only by bed design. In all cases, you will want the eye bolts as close to the side of the bed wall as possible, on a flat surface and, in between the bed floor "ribs". You'll want the hardware in the valley to ensure you don't crush the high points of the bed. You can cut a washer down to fit this area. Also, that measurement stays the same no matter what year, make or model the truck is, since the tie down points are on the camper itself. I hope this clarifies things. You can always call the Factory and, get the specs for any camper eye bolt placement.

Once you get your eyebolts in place, I recommend you get a welder to weld brackets that tie them to the frame of your truck, otherwise there is only the strength of the sheet metal of the bed. I learned the hard way as all 4 of my tie downs have pulled the sheetmetal up (and even torn it). The 3 x 5 plates FWC used to back up the sheetmetal were not enough. The brackets the welder put in were just big L brackets he made out of 1/2" steel.

To be fair....tie downs were pulling through truck beds only on some trucks; but not all models or makes...as I recall newer ones with aluminum beds...but I could be wrong...older model trucks did not have the light weight beds to improve MPG...

Wallowa said:
To be fair....tie downs were pulling through truck beds only on some trucks; but not all models or makes...as I recall newer ones with aluminum beds...but I could be wrong...older model trucks did not have the light weight beds to improve MPG...
Mine is as '08 Dodge 2500. Steel bed. It's made about 10 Baja trips, but only 4 with the Grandby.

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely planning stout reinforcement. That’s why I plan do it myself rather than have the dealer do it. I should have the new truck about two months before the camper arrives, which will give me time to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom