Grandby Shell Build

SeldomSeen

Advanced Member
Well, a year ago I almost pulled the trigger on a fully equipped grandby self-contained before deciding to put a cap on the truck and go low tech. I put an A.R.E. cab height topper with dual windoors, roof rack, rocket box, foxwing awning, bedrug, queen size bed on floor with gear loft at bed rail height, and ARB fridge. I have what amounts to be a beefy bugout wagon with a pintle hitch that I pull behind which acts as a camp kitchen and climate controlled kennel for when it's too hot to leave the dogs without a/c. It's a fun setup, but after a two week road trip from Colorado through Idaho and Oregon to the coast without the trailer in which it rained the majority of the time last month, we started thinking FWC again. It was an amazing trip, but we were never quite dry the entire trip since we had three large dogs in our sleeping area everytime we drove. Combined with the gear shuffle required to put two dogs in the back seat to sleep, and one in the back with us, our system showed its flaws.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I ordered a grandby shell from Chris at Rocky Mountain FWC. Here is my build list:

Exterior Silver Spur (The silver will look better on the dodge). Didn't go with the interior, because I couldn't justify the extra expense on a shell model without the cabinets and counterspace a normal camper would have. Plus, the animal print should camo the dog wear and tear a little better.

Furnace
fantastic Fan
Front opening window
Rear flood light
Dual batteries
Rear Wall A/C
Solar Plug - already have a 140 watt setup with controller and remote ordered
5' Yakima Tracks
King bed option (I'm 6'9", and girlfriend was a center in college--I think we'll like the extra space)
Screen Door (originally didn't put this in the build, but after so many people posted about it being on their "must have" options, I went ahead and added it).

Planning my build, I plan to do the following:

Current zodi shower and pop up privy with luggable loo: it's worked great for us so far.

camp chef and rolltop table for outdoor cooking

jetboil for coffee/tea/etc inside in the mornings as well as single pot meals. We have the gsi pinnacle camper cookware/tableware set and it is incredibly versatile, and everything easily packs into the largest pot. The carrier even doubles as a sink. I can't speak more highly about it.
modest cabinets for clothing and storage. I already have a few of those cheap plastic/tupperware drawer systems available at walmart/homedepot/target etc. I figure the first few trips with those will give us a good idea on where we want to build our cabinets and how to configure them. Nothing like living with a config for a few trips before making it permanent.
retaining enough floor space for dogs to not be cramped.

Fold out table and seats built into bench shelf

For water systems, we take three or four 7.5 gallon reliance jugs with us, and I love the simplicity of that solution. Reliance makes a hand pump that screws onto the cap, and I don't have to worry about winterizing, bacterial fouling, or plumbing issues. I can have it set up outside on a table for the camp kitchen. You can also fill them pretty much anywhere.
I already ordered led replacement bulbs for all of the light fixtures, at $2.99 including shipping for 36 leds/panel off Ebay. I read up an install/review that gave a favorable impression, and at $3/light, no big deal if they don't hold up.

I'm doing a single 140w solar panel install with a sun saver duo with the remote on the dual group 24 batteries (total 160 amp hours). I'll install on roof cross bars, so no additional drilling with be required (trying to do the build with no holes put into roof other than from factory).

With solar planned, and charging coming from the truck, I doubt I'll do a shore power system. An extension cord snaked through turnbuckle access panels will work fine to run the A/C off the yamaha 2000 when needed for the dogs. Plus, if I do decide I'd like shore power, it's an easy system to add.

Will most likely install 2 blue sea 12v outlets, and 1 blue sea usb outlet. They seem to get good reviews. Any other recommendations for brands I may be overlooking?

I will fabricate a carrier for the generator and a jerry can. I'm not sure if it will be a bumper mount, or even just an extension off the bed itself. I looked at the aluminess bumper with dual swing arms, but as a colleague pointed out, it would take 1 smart *** to latch those carriers when you're in the camper, and you're locked in. The $2500 base price tag is a tough sell as well, and additionally, I wouldn't be able to use the hitch mounted swing away bike rack.

If anyone sees any glaring omissions, please chime in. I'm more than ready for it to get here. :) I'd also like to solicit a good january destination for a week long trip to get away from the front range snow.

As an added bonus, I guess I'll have a nice ARE topper and bedrug for sale shortly. :) Here are a couple pics of the current setup. The bugout trailer is pretty fun. Comes complete with a wood stove, a/c mounted in one of the tool boxes so the interior stays dust free, roof vent, lockers, drawers and slideout table, and gun rack and stove are accessible from inside or out. :)

truck and camper.jpg
camper interior.jpg
wood stove.jpg

Hi "Shun" - Welcome to the family.
Post lots of pictures as we are always looking for ways to improve our campers.
I'm going to check out your "GSI campwear/Tablewear set.

January Destination
How about the Saline Valley Hot Springs in North Death Valley?
Go in the North road East of Big Pine. Hot water, pleasant camping, NO sulphur smell. Have to pack it all in Food, water, misc. 40 miles washboard road. Lots of areas to explore. No cell phone or computer reception so its - peaceful-.

here is the US Weather service link http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.81808022778526&lon=-117.74322509765625&site=vef&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en#.Ul4bxtKsg6Y
and
Death Valley "Talk" link http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml

RC Pilot Jim said:
Hi "Shun" - Welcome to the family.
Post lots of pictures as we are always looking for ways to improve our campers.
I'm going to check out your "GSI campwear/Tablewear set.

January Destination
How about the Saline Valley Hot Springs in North Death Valley?
Go in the North road East of Big Pine. Hot water, pleasant camping, NO sulphur smell. Have to pack it all in Food, water, misc. 40 miles washboard road. Lots of areas to explore. No cell phone or computer reception so its - peaceful-.

here is the US Weather service link http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.81808022778526&lon=-117.74322509765625&site=vef&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en#.Ul4bxtKsg6Y
and
Death Valley "Talk" link http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml
The last I heard north pass into Saline was closed do to a couple of severe washouts. Not sure if it's fixed yet.

Camel,
Thanks for that info. I was reading Death Valley Talk this morning and "silverBob" reported he "heard" of 3 vehicles that made it down that road. Mentioned if traveler got through DeDecker Canyon they would be ok rest of the way.

It is a small wood stove in the trailer, yes. For hunting camp, about seven small twigs warmed the trailer surprisingly well before bed and before making coffee in the a.m.

Finally got the grandby installed. Looking forward to spending a couple trips in it and deciding how we're going to build it out. Pretty excited...

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 20131220_163028_Yarrow St.jpg
    20131220_163028_Yarrow St.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 523
  • 20131220_103238_W_59th_Ave.jpeg
    20131220_103238_W_59th_Ave.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 510
Looks awesome! You've got some great ideas goin. I also like the simplicity of water jugs, however we like to cook, and generally have some dishes to clean up, etc. so a sink and plumbing are important for me. Your observations about the swing carrier are spot on. I wanted to do something similar, and considered a "tiregate" but it becomes awkward with the camper door. I also tow trailers with the camper on, so it becomes even more of an issue. Maybe have a short swing carrier, that "locks" open. Don't need that thing swinging around all night in the wind either. Not sure if you selected a solar charger yet, but take a look at the CTEK Dual 250S. It might be just a tad small for your 140W, I can't remember, but I thought it could be a neat little unit for these campers. I'd like to see how you'll stretch the solar panel between the roof racks. I wanted to do that, but will likely add a 3rd rack just to support the solar panel better. Cool wood stove in the trailer! Once in a while I'll see some sourdough around here with a fire going in his truck camper......even driving down the road....smoke swirling out behind the truck..... ha ha! Enjoy your camper!!!

Thanks AK. I also do a lot of cooking, and tend to go a bit overboard as well, which is why I decided not to do a kitchenette. Like any true gourmet, (insert sarcasm here), I like to spread out, so I do an outdoor kitchen. My primary reason for avoiding the plumbing altogether is simplicity. I don't have an indoor conditioned space to park, so I wanted to avoid the hassle of winterization, especially considering I divide my time between colorado and Montana. I experience pretty extreme temperature swings for a large portion of the year. Going from 55f to 15f from sept to april on a regular basis would require either a significant amount of time staying winterized, or a lot of flushing and re-winterizing. Jugs and a basin just make more sense to me.

I went ahead and bought the mppt tracer 20amp charge controller and remote display. It got favorable reviews and the price is right. I'm holding off on the panel for now. I want to get the controller and remote installed and monitor my actual usage for a while before pulling the trigger on a panel.

And thanks RC and Camel for the Death Valley info. I'll put that in my research list. :)

Here is the porch/storage I'm fabricating up to store the generator, fuel, and some spare water and misc. Stuff with a hitch reciever on back to accept the hitch mounted bike rack. Been a fun build so far. I'll post a pic once it's finished.2013-12-28_18.20.25.jpg20131228_164005_N_Broadway_Ave.jpg

Here's the storage porch hanging in the paint booth, and then installed. I tried to find a hitch mounted cargo rack commercially, but I couldn't find one with a hitch extension, which I wanted so I can still utilize my hitch mounted bike rack. Plus, building things and using fire to fuse metal is fun. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I used my generator as a template and put some angle iron on the deck plating to ensure a tight and secure fit for it. I may still build a weather tight box to place it in, but we'll see how this setup goes for the first season. I was planning on including a retracting ramp for my senior citizen german Shepard, but it would have increased the weight significantly. I'll come up with something simpler for the old man.

Next step is wiring my 12v outlets, wiring and installing the charge controller and remote monitor, and replacing the crappy fuse panel that comes in the shells. Good times!

Hanging before spraying with bed liner:
20131228_205602_N Broadway Ave.jpg

Installed in rig:
2013-12-29 09.35.43.jpg

SeldomSeen said:
I was planning on including a retracting ramp for my senior citizen german Shepard, but it would have increased the weight significantly. I'll come up with something simpler for the old man.
Nice porch.

Tough watching our hounds age.....this is what I use for both humans, wives and K9s:
http://www.petstep.com
Light, strong and my dogs loved it. Wife not so much.....called it a handicap ramp.
I like it!

hbLcLIp.jpg

Thanks Rotti. That might work out perfectly. Where do you store it? My only concern would be finding somewhere outside the camper to store it so I don't have three dogs fighting to get out while I try to get it out and set up.

The Petstep folds in half to about 36' x 17" so it looks like it might just fit into the bottom of your porch?

I kept mine on the floor of my Hawk. It fit nicely between the couch and the cabinets. They have a textured, rubber like surface for paw traction so ice chests and whatnot placed on top of it never seemed to move.

I installed the 140w solar panel yesterday. I wanted to install without putting any holes in the roof. I only got the 5 foot yakima tracks from the factory. In hindsight, I wish I would have ponied up for the 10' tracks to give me more flexible mounting options when I utilize the roof racks for a rocketbox as well. Anyway, I installed the 78" crossbars, and used the "yakima universal snaparounds" to mount the panel to the crossbars. It turned out to be a very clean install. I used yakima hardware for the install, but may replace the twist-on nuts for lockable nuts down the line.
20140116_154054_Yarrow_St.jpeg

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the install and still have plenty of room for the cargo box. The panel does cover the fantastic fan vent cover, but I can still open it enough to function--This is where the 10' tracks would have been handy.

20140116_154324_Yarrow_St.jpeg

Hi Seldom,
Congrats on your new rig.
the photos of the "blue sea fuse panel installed, as well as three 12v outlets, the solar charge controller, and the remote meter" didn't display. Would you please re-insert them.

You might try the " Nymbus Q41foam" to replace the 3" of concrete bed foam FWC includes in the standard bed. My old "Flip Pac" had a mattress the same thickness and the "Q41" did a great job.

So, I know it has been a while, but here are a few more of the modest mods I've made to the rig. First off a picture of one of my outdoor kitchen cases. Always fun repurposing items. :)

IMG_0184.JPG

I put in two ikea drawers that matched the baltic birch pretty well. Next to it is the camp chef collapsing table/kitchen. I love this little bit of kit. Holds the stove, dutch oven, and all the miscellaneous kitchen/tableware.
IMG_0185.JPG

Not the best picture, but I put a submersible 12v pump into a scepter water can to give us running water. It's actually incredibly convenient, and still fits my modular theme.
IMG_0187.JPG

I built a storage bench along the back window using baltic birch ply. It turned out pretty well.
IMG_0188.JPG

I made sure I could fit the scepter cans in the bench as you can see on the right.
IMG_0189.JPG

We have the crew cab dodge, and to make the trips a bit more comfortable for the dogs, I took out the 60 split rear bench and built them a platform. Since we have a bench seat up front, with the single seat in the back, I can still legally carry 4 people, so it worked out pretty well. The girls love having some space to stretch out on their dog bed.
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG

I finally got around to mounting up my foxwing awning. I'll post a couple pics of it deployed this weekend. It's nice to have some shelter, and the install turned out pretty good.
IMG_0193.JPG

Now to come up with more stuff that I "have" to do to the rig. :) Hope everyone is enjoying their trails!

Seldom

Back
Top Bottom