Granite Pass, Idaho

John D

Granite Pass in Idaho near City of Rocks is on private land not open to the public. It is historically important for California because wagon train emigrants of the 1840s and 50s crossed Granite Pass, Idaho on the way into Nevada. It was a choke point in connection with finding water as they crossed the dry region. Their journals said the descent was very steep and difficult.

Today, the trail up, as shown, is two track, about like it was 160 years ago. The track down from Granite Pass has not been traveled for many years. We did not attempt to drive on this section of trail because we did not want to damage a historic trail. It would also have wrecked my 2WD truck.

Three pictures are posted; 1) driving up to Granite Pass, 2) stopped at top of pass, and 3) hiking down the other side of the pass. (Note the California Trail marker in the picture.)

Attachments

• going up to Granite Pass Idaho.JPG
    going up to Granite Pass Idaho.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Top of Granite Pass.JPG
    Top of Granite Pass.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 446
  • West side Granite Pass road with OCTA marker.JPG
    West side Granite Pass road with OCTA marker.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 433
I know, old post, but just out of curiosity which direction did you come from for your pics?

I took this pic in Idaho, southwest of City of Rocks in August 2014. The "V" in the distance is Granite Pass from what I could tell on maps. The gate in front of me could be opened, but obviously wasn't meant to be opened by me and I don't think my car could've made the trip much further.

I took Birch Creek Rd. south from City of Rocks towards the Idaho/Utah border and about 1 mile before Utah there's a track leading west which I followed up to this gate. Just past the gate, the track took a left and appeared to be headed to the gap. This is at about the 6200 ft elevation.

img_120570_1_912497617de721bec0517898c58a0089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom