Guess what I found out about the '17 Ford Super Duties.

smlobx

Lost again
So I'm looking into upgrading my F-350 from my current '06 to the new '17.
I'm looking at a CC LWB with the 8' bed to hold our Hallmark Camper.

In looking at the specs I noticed that the standard fuel tank in this rig holds 48 gallons!!!

Talk about range!

Just put a 60 in our CTD. For sure my bladder can't go that ~850 miles, but it is nice to be able to pick where we buy fuel rather than needing to buy fuel when we see it. If there had been a ~50 gal option that didn't have the slight loss in break-over angle I'd have gone for it instead.

That is a mammoth tank.

My brother just purchased an F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost.
I was surprised that it has a 35 gal tank.

I agree. It is nice to be able to purchase fuel where you want.
With that big of a tank, it might save you $10-$20 an a fill.

Um, that's the imprint of car seat upholstery upon one's sit down. Caused by taking excessive advantage of diesel truck range. The other fun aspect could be a little deep vein thrombosis.

Range also means you can simply enjoy mor days of wandering before you need to find reasonable fuel.

I'm waiting to look and drive one also. I saw the 48 gal tank option and thought "finally!" I'm looking at the 6.2L gas with 4.30 rear end. After 15 years of diesel ownership, I will not own a modern diesel in a pickup anymore.

I tend to keep my rigs a long time. I can only speak to Fords but a person better have deep pockets to repair a modern diesel that is out of warranty. They are very complex systems that require very regular maintenance. I have a buddy who was a ford diesel tech and now runs his own shop and the issues he repairs blows my mind. The repair bills are staggering. Bad fuel can take out injectors to the tune of $4K. My mechanic buddy (whom I've known for 15+ years) says a guy is better of to buy a dreaded 6.0L , if it's a ford (05-07), do the "bulletproofing" (headstuds, EGR delete, etc) and you'll be money ahead with a more reliable rig. The only thing he likes about new diesels is it keeps him busy. Mpg's are not that great either from what a couple friends that have 2012's tell me. If you need the power I get it but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. Did you know entire cab of the truck has to be removed to work on the engine? Lucky for me, a modern gas engine has the same power and torque that I have now and will do what I need without all the extra diesel cost. MPG's are pretty much a wash these days so no big advantage there either anymore. Just my 2 cents...

I wouldn't get the 4.30 unless you're planning on taller tires. It has good power, but you'll have slightly better mileage with 3.73. If you're traveling, you'll save money on fuel with 3.73. If you're only using your truck shorter distances or need the torque for off road (taller tires, lower gearing) you might appreciate the 4.30, otherwise, you won't.

Riverrunner said:
I tend to keep my rigs a long time. I can only speak to Fords but a person better have deep pockets to repair a modern diesel that is out of warranty. They are very complex systems that require very regular maintenance. I have a buddy who was a ford diesel tech and now runs his own shop and the issues he repairs blows my mind. The repair bills are staggering. Bad fuel can take out injectors to the tune of $4K. My mechanic buddy (whom I've known for 15+ years) says a guy is better of to buy a dreaded 6.0L , if it's a ford (05-07), do the "bulletproofing" (headstuds, EGR delete, etc) and you'll be money ahead with a more reliable rig. The only thing he likes about new diesels is it keeps him busy. Mpg's are not that great either from what a couple friends that have 2012's tell me. If you need the power I get it but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. Did you know entire cab of the truck has to be removed to work on the engine? Lucky for me, a modern gas engine has the same power and torque that I have now and will do what I need without all the extra diesel cost. MPG's are pretty much a wash these days so no big advantage there either anymore. Just my 2 cents...
Ya, that has been my thinking as well. I have a 26 year old ford truck I have had since high school and keep up on all repairs and a lot of things have been changed and upgraded to make it as reliable as possible. It has never broken down on me on a trip but I was with my dad when we went over a cold mtn pass and some fuel along with not enough additive caused it to freeze up and left us stranded on the road in a brand new chevy duramax. When my t-case needed to rebuilt it was 600.00. When my transmission goes, its around 800.00. I blow my entire engine, a new crate motor is under 4k and that is very unlikely. My truck only has 118k miles on it and I've seem more then I can count go over 300k before an overhaul. On my last trip my brother in his diesel truck got 13 and I got 11. Close enough for me to call it a wash on mpg after diesel costs more then gas does. (right now anyway). I went to diesel mechanic school before ending up in the field I am in now and while diesels are great and have their place, you have better have a deep war chest for repair bills when they happen. As for me and my house, we will continue to have spark plug running rigs.

Ace! said:
I wouldn't get the 4.30 unless you're planning on taller tires. It has good power, but you'll have slightly better mileage with 3.73. If you're traveling, you'll save money on fuel with 3.73. If you're only using your truck shorter distances or need the torque for off road (taller tires, lower gearing) you might appreciate the 4.30, otherwise, you won't.
Ace,

How tall would a tire need to be to make it worth getting 4.30 gears? I think the Ford comes with 33" tires? Are you talking about a 35" tire or going even bigger to 37's? I'm strongly considering the F350, 6.2 gas with 4.30 for a few trips a year towing a 25' Airstream and other trips without the Airstream, but carrying a FWC camper for trips to Baja. Baja will have a lot of off-road, slower tracks.

Troy

Stock Super Dutys come with anywhere from ~31" to 35" tires. I have 33" tires on one truck, 2016 F350 6.2L V8 gas (work). I have 34" tires on the other, a 2005 F250 with 6.8L V10 (personal). I think if you're going to have anything over 33" tires, you should get 4.30, IF you're going to use it off road or towing much. I like the torque that the 4.30 provides, but I know it diminishes my mileage when traveling on the Interstate. As long as you know that, then 4.30 could be better for you.

The other thing to consider is tire width. The larger the tire, taller and wider, the heavier and harder to get started turning. Lower gears are obviously better for that. I try to get the narrowest, tallest, tire I can.

So, I guess I'm not really answering your question. For me, I got 4.30 because I knew I'd have at least 33" tires. I would probably even go lower if I could have (stock), but I built my (personal) rig specifically for off road, most people drive a lot more Interstate than I do. I'm literally unconcerned with mileage. The work rig is used for towing 10k lbs. at least once a week, therefore I wanted the 4.30 for in town towing.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with the avoidance of new diesels....it seemed as if ford jumped off the 7.3 liter into a bottomless pit of errors, omissions and is trying to buy their way back in with astronomical/comical repair bills....

I'll keep my 7.3 till it dies...then resurrect it...when I go they'll have to dig a hole big enough for the truck too

even a bulletproofed 6.0 is only good for 150-200K...and they're throw away engines...what engineer would do that????

I just found a new shop that specializes in diesels....it's a drive from my place but combine a good service with a camping trip...batta bing

Back
Top Bottom