Gutted Fleet - Rebuilding

Wow, that's huge project. Any idea how many hours invested? I have old Fleet that I've been patching up, and I can't seam to find the leaks. I think it's along the roof/wall seams. The canvas is stained from the mildew, so I'm considering tearing it all down to the frame and starting over. The floor assembly is weathered a bit, a couple spots are rotted through.
I would add a real toilet and shower stall, under the front bench cushions.
BTW, I tried using only the gas struts, there need to be something in place to control the location of the roof when folding it. I made some bi-fold panels and it works great.(dumped the spring loaded hinges!)
Any thoughts of building a full body and removing the truck bed??

Wow, that's huge project. Any idea how many hours invested? I have old Fleet that I've been patching up, and I can't seam to find the leaks. I think it's along the roof/wall seams. The canvas is stained from the mildew, so I'm considering tearing it all down to the frame and starting over. The floor assembly is weathered a bit, a couple spots are rotted through.
BTW, I tried using only the gas struts, there need to be something in place to control the location of the roof when folding it. I made some bi-fold panels and it works great.(dumped the spring loaded hinges!)

"...Any thoughts of building a full body and removing the truck bed??"

Check out this thread:

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/5112/

I've been trying to figure the best way to add a shower to an 8'er.

I've been trying to figure the best way to add a shower to an 8'er.

I still say a waste of space to dedicate an area. Just hang a curtain in the isle, use a tub for the shower pan. Or if you're really hung up on it build a raised center isle and imbed a shower pan in that w/ a cover for when not in use and use the rest for storage space.

I still say a waste of space to dedicate an area. Just hang a curtain in the isle, use a tub for the shower pan. Or if you're really hung up on it build a raised center isle and imbed a shower pan in that w/ a cover for when not in use and use the rest for storage space.

My front cushions have space below, where the port-a-potty is stored. If I can find a electra-flush or low profile toilet that will fit, I'll fiberglass the spot and make my own pan. Punch a gray water drain through the floor. Maybe even install a waste tank under the truck. All under the cushion.
Hang a curtain from the ceiling, and use a hand shower.

For me, the whole idea of a camper is comfort. Warm, clean and dry.

For me, the whole idea of a camper is comfort. Warm, clean and dry.

Don't forget having room to move/store gear in that comfort. A compact tucked away shower pan sounds like a winner. Dedicating a corner area of a small camper doesn't appeal to me.

Scheefdog, you out there?
Still looking forward to some updates and pics of the exterior.

Mojave joe "I have old Fleet that I've been patching up, and I can't seam to find the leaks. I think it's along the roof/wall seams."

I got that '83 fleet I mentioned earlier in this thread shortly after that last post. I had the same problem with the top edge of the canvas getting damp every time it rained. It was leaking through the seam around the edge of the roof. Previous owners apparently thought that putting new layers over the old of caulk and silicone would be enough. It wasn't. After attacking a side an afternoon I cleaned out the old and reapplied new silicone. It has been dry as a desert since. Added bonus is that that part of the camper now looks cleaner and "newer".

I found some cleaner that took care of the mildew on the outside of the canvas, although it is still a problem in that inner layer of foam. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about that. Tearing it out and replacing it would be a hell of a job. And I think other things like adding solar and many smaller things are more important to me right now. Hope that helps.

Thanks, but, besides the leaking, the mildew stains on the foam are the biggest reason for me to do the replacement. Otherwise, I doubt I'd ever get my wife to come out with me.
Silicone is great, but over time it seems to lose it's adhesive to aluminum. I found a sealant called Duralink, this stuff really sticks. I think this will last much longer than silicone. I'll be using that when it goes back together.
FWC wants $995 for replacement canvas, or $1700 to do the job. So, I'm going to a local upholstery shop for a quote to sew it up. I'm thinking of having velcro sewn around both the top and bottom, and making it removable.
The roof has a tweek where a previous owner started to open the camper with one of the latches still closed. So while I have it apart I can address that, run my wiring for the fantastic vent and replace the ceiling material also.
...I hope I get it all done while I still can climb into it!

Thanks, but, besides the leaking, the mildew stains on the foam are the biggest reason for me to do the replacement. Otherwise, I doubt I'd ever get my wife to come out with me.
Silicone is great, but over time it seems to lose it's adhesive to aluminum. I found a sealant called Duralink, this stuff really sticks. I think this will last much longer than silicone. I'll be using that when it goes back together.
FWC wants $995 for replacement canvas, or $1700 to do the job. So, I'm going to a local upholstery shop for a quote to sew it up. I'm thinking of having velcro sewn around both the top and bottom, and making it removable.
The roof has a tweek where a previous owner started to open the camper with one of the latches still closed. So while I have it apart I can address that, run my wiring for the fantastic vent and replace the ceiling material also.
...I hope I get it all done while I still can climb into it!

For mojave joe and others: I have 2 unopened Fantastic Fans and a new and un-boxed canvas (sized for a Grandby w/o the extended front bed section; aka the classic size) from ATC. I'll sell any of them for 80% of what I paid about 6 months ago including shipping. I guess I'll go throw it in the classifieds section but I figured since I've gotten so much information and entertainment from y'all in this thread I'd post it here first.

Numbers:
$850 fabric * 80% = $680 shipped
$144 shipped fantastic fan model 4000 * 80% = $115 shipped

Thanks, I have the fan already, and I'm seriously think how to better the assembly of the canvas/roof joint.
I've started the canvas removal and I'm pretty appointed. I'm surprised the top has been able to keep out as much water as it has. The roof metal is folded down on the inside, with the canvas pinched between the roof with the sheet metal trim. The joint is exposed facing up, with no flashing over it at all. All that is keeping this water tight is a thin bead of sealant on the edge of everything. On top of that, every time the latches are closed the top flexes, trying to open the joint.
I found water trapped between the canvas and the liner.
Honestly, the more I work I do, the less enthusiasm I have for these campers. It started with learning that the floor assembly was just stapled (I would hope newer models used treated lumber).

Honestly, the more I work I do, the less enthusiasm I have for these campers. It started with learning that the floor assembly was just stapled (I would hope newer models used treated lumber).

After tearing an FWC apart I couldn't agree more with this statement....
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61346-Four-Wheel-Camper-Flatbed-Conversion

Scheefdog, you out there?
Still looking forward to some updates and pics of the exterior.

Sorry I haven’t updated in forever! I was pretty burned out (and broke) from working on the camper once I finally loaded it on the truck and called it finished for the time being (that was the end of July!). However, I put the camper to good use the rest of the summer and this fall. I race mountain bikes in the summer all over Colorado so it was the perfect weekend camper. I love being able to park, pop the top in two minutes, be cooking in five minutes, and just be able to relax on the couch. It is way better than car camping where you have to constantly unpack and repack for every meal etc.

My 02 Tundra with add a leafs in the rear handles the camper very well, the truck sits very close to level with the camper in the back(the pics below are with a couple extra hundred pounds in the camper and the truck still sits decent, also I took the tailgate off). The truck handles great on the highway and off-road. The times when I really notice the camper is when there is a head wind on the highway. To help with the aerodynamics I bought a Yakima crossbar for my truck and a wind fairing hardware kit from them. I then cut a piece of a aluminum and used the hardware kit to attach it to the crossbar. Held up great all summer and I think it helps.

Bring on the wind and rain! I used the camper on a very windy weekend (50 mph gusts) and it is solid. I was leery at first and afraid the roof might come off, but the tension strength of the canvas holding the roof on is really strong. I also experienced a few thunderstorms and never had any sort of water inside the camper. I am very happy with that!

I’m glad I left the interior sort of unfinished so I could figure out exactly what I want. The counter with the sink and stove works perfect and I like just having Rubbermaid bins that slide into the counter (cookware in one, dry food etc. in the other). I still need to redo my lift panels and trim out a few more things. I will tackle that this spring when the camper comes out of winter storage. I also never finished my electrical system with solar so I will do that in the spring too.

I am happy I eliminated the side window and the access for the propane on the outside for a streamline look and minimal penetrations in the siding to avoid leaks. I might even take out the small rear window when I install a new door at some point as it would be better to have clear glass in the door to see out the back of the truck. The aluminum siding and roof is holding up great and is stout.

I may be taking on a project just like yours. Any regrets?

Regrets?
I wish I wouldn’t have spent so much on camper ($1500) to start since I ended up stripping it down so far. I would try to get a $500 camper instead that already had a bad canvas etc. One of these days I will add up all the receipts from the camper build that I have in an envelope, should be interesting to see how much I spent (but I'm sure it was still way less than a new shell).

Thanks for all the encouragement! I will definitely check on this thread throughout the winter and try to answer anyone's questions who might be tackling a similar rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 898
And a couple more pics of the camper in action.

Attachments

• complete exterior with bike.jpg
    complete exterior with bike.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 583
  • pro challenge.jpg
    pro challenge.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 512
Congrats on a finished (for now) project, it looks great!
That Fleetwood really fits the Tundra nicely; doesn't stick up to high.
What do you get for mileage with the camper on? Did the faring help in that department at all? Getting ready for a trip down to Baja and been thinking about adding a faring, wondering if its worth the work. As it is, my 'kitchen' is completely gutted, and there is always other small things that never seem to get done. But if a faring will save me on gas money, maybe the other things can wait...
BTW, I like the drop bars on the bike. Been looking at adding a hardtail 29er with drops to the quiver for commuting and fire-road cruising. What do you do for a bike rack with your setup?
Kevin

BTW, I like the drop bars on the bike. Been looking at adding a hardtail 29er with drops to the quiver for commuting and fire-road cruising. What do you do for a bike rack with your setup?
Kevin

I thought there were drop bars on that bike too!..... But if you look close there are normal mountain bars with white grips

Killer job scheef.....hopefully we will cross paths someday. Hoping to get my camper done soon.

When your done, Teleturns, you can come & start on the flatbed conversion of mine!
I saw those white grips also. Best of both worlds? What bars are those Scheef?

Back
Top Bottom