GVWR: Gross Vehicle Rate Ratings

The GVWR of my vehicle is:

• Total voters

jcbrandon

There's a great in-depth article out today about Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR) by Jonathan Hanson called:

"Is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ... Overrated?"
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2012/1/8/is-gross-vehicle-weight-rating-overrated.html

I know many drivers routinely load up their trucks way beyond the manufacturer's GVWR. And I know that folks who sell campers and trailers often try to pretend that GVWR and GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) are just suggestions. But it makes me a bit nervous to know that a lot of the vehicles I see on the roads are carrying a lot more weight than the people who designed them say is okay.

What do you think?

My vote would be: To be substantially under the maximum GVWR, which wasn't a choice in your poll.
I was a Boy Scout though, you know that be prepared thing.

I just ordered a 2500HD for my soon to be ordered Hawk. The payload capacity of that truck is 3,066 lbs.
I seriously debated going with the 3500HD with a 4,200 lb capacity.

Good article and comments. The weak spots on a vehicle that leave you by the side of the road are the cooling systems and tires, both of which are impacted by the weight, (they also are mostly non metallic). If I were looking to replace my F250 I'd really look for an F350, extra capacity at little cost, and if towing an F450 but I suspect that leap starts to erode fuel economy. For now I am satisfied with good E rated tires, an added trans cooler, and when needed I'll upgrade pads and rotors, maybe a better alternator.

Good article and comments. The weak spots on a vehicle that leave you by the side of the road are the cooling systems and tires, ...an added trans cooler, and when needed I'll upgrade pads and rotors, maybe a better alternator.

Good stuff. It's easy to overlook the cooling system on a back country vehicle. I think because it is not as sexy as bigger tires and a winch bumper. I've been pretty impressed with the cooling system on the Power Wagon. It seems to stay just above the mid- mark on the temperature gauge. Last summer I was driving south to LA on I-5 and got stuck in standing traffic while the CHP investigated a fatality. It was 97 degrees outside the truck. I left the engine running for 45 minutes, sitting still, with the air conditioner running. The temperature gauge only climbed ever so slightly.

Looking under the hood of the truck I can see that the air conditioning condenser is not in front of the radiator, it is next to it with its own fresh air flow and electric fan. The truck also comes from the factory with big fat coolers for the transmission and power steering fluids.

Good article, I'm glad it talked about the extra rolling momentum of larger tires as I think that's often over looked.

I don't mind occasionally overloading a vehicle and then adjusting my driving accordingly (that is, driving slower and with greater following distance). For the kind of roads I like to follow, I prefer having extra capacity to help ensure that nothing breaks.

Making a panic stop in a heavily loaded truck, even with extra following distance, can make one appreciate momentum.
blink.gif

I purposely didn't vote so I don't get sued. :->
With the Mazda, I'm in the same company as the Rangers,Tacomas, Nissans, Canyons etc.
I'm usually at max capacity. I drive and pack accordingly. New gear always is considered by need, then weight.
When I purchased the truck I didn't wander the West, so capacity wasn't areal consideration.
Now that I do, the next vehicle will be up to spec for sure.

The article covered most of the bases. Thanks for sharing it.

I don't care what the GVWR says. I load it up as I see fit - haul what I want - tow what I want - etc.

BUT I try my best to do it safely, and regardless of the GVWR if it doesn't look safe, feel safe, stop safe, etc - I don't go anywhere.

Last month I towed a fullsize International Pickup (6000+ pounds) on my 16' trailer (2500 pounds), with my camper (1500 pounds) in the truck. Didn't think twice at the weight rating.

I don't care what the GVWR says. I load it up as I see fit - haul what I want - tow what I want - etc.

BUT I try my best to do it safely, and regardless of the GVWR if it doesn't look safe, feel safe, stop safe, etc - I don't go anywhere.

Last month I towed a fullsize International Pickup (6000+ pounds) on my 16' trailer (2500 pounds), with my camper (1500 pounds) in the truck. Didn't think twice at the weight rating.

I'm curious as to what kind of payload that 6000+ pound full size International pickup was expected to carry. I'm guessing it's only a 1/2 ton. To bad IH went bankrupt after 100+ years. Their stuff was built to last, and last, and last...

I'm curious as to what kind of payload that 6000+ pound full size International pickup was expected to carry. I'm guessing it's only a 1/2 ton. To bad IH went bankrupt after 100+ years. Their stuff was built to last, and last, and last...

It was a 1971 'D' series 3/4 ton. Standard cab 8' bed. It was rated to haul a lot and tow a lot for it's day. I was hauling it for a buddy from Oregon City to Redmond.

I'm kind of an IH nut I've owned about 12 Scouts and a couple pickups, a lawn mower and some other miscellaneous IH junk....

Back
Top Bottom