Handguns traveling in CA stored in FWC?

XJINTX

I know there is probably a better area to ask this but it's an FWC question for me. ADMINS please delete or move if appropriate.

I an in TX and have a concealed handgun license. I travel and most of our bordering states have a reciprocal so not a big issue. However, I am heading to CA for a couple week vacation will be actually in CA 5 days. I researched and found this :

Handguns California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .) The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device . This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)

My question is... if in a drawer of my FWC do I need to add a lock?

Any input appreciated!!!!

Yes it needs to be locked. I have a pistol vault permanently mounted in my camper. Welcome to anti-gun California.

I installed one of these in my 2012 Ram 2500. Pricey but very well made. And the purchase only "hurts once"! :oops:

My guess is the "locked part" applies for while you are travelling. When we camp I "discreetly" move the pistol in a zippered case to the camper where it stays in an easily accessible compartment under the dinette seat by the stove.

Most of the states I travel in don't have California type firearms laws. But for me personally I feel the need to keep a firearm as secure as possible so it works well for all areas for us. My two cents...

Steve

If you carry during travel, this would be a good time to consider installing a more secure gun safe in the camper or truck. To many vehicle break ins these days to just put it under the seat or in the console when you get to a place that restricts carrying.

I would think if it's in the camper and it's camper door is locked it is in the spirit of the law? That's what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

The locked camper would be no different than a locked trunk. You can legally carry an unloaded handgun in a drawer of the camper as long as the door is locked. I would take it a step further and keep it in a locked box secured to the camper.

If the camper is considered a "home", can you keep a loaded gun in the camper?

I would not want to be in a gray area with CA firearms laws. I would keep it in a separate locked container while traveling; then unlock it for easier access while present within/around the camper.

Handgunlaw.us is a great site for perusing all state's laws. They keep it up to date.

From ^ --

"California Penal Code section 25400 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

[SIZE=12pt]The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 25610. "[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"[/SIZE]Any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms, and if otherwise lawful, may keep and carry a firearm or have a firearm loaded at his or her place of residence, temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person. (Penal Code §§ 12026, 12031(h) and (l).) Any person engaged in any lawful business (including nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee, or agent authorized for lawful purposes connected with the business may possess a loaded firearm within the place of business if that person is over 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms. (Penal Code §§ 12026, 12031(h).)

[SIZE=12pt]NOTE: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]A person’s place of business, residence, temporary residence, campsite, or private property[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]may be located in areas where possession of handguns or other firearms, whether loaded or
unloaded, is otherwise prohibited. Such areas include, but are not limited to, state, federal, or private
game reserves or refuges, federal and state parks, and other public lands. Questions regarding the applicability of such laws should be directed to your sheriff or chief of police, federal or state fish and game officers, or federal or state park rangers." [/SIZE]

Also remember that CA has a high-cap magazine ban---nothing over 10 rounds is legally allowed to be brought in.

If a TSA lock on a canvas bag will meet the criteria of a "locked container", then a locked camper should have no trouble qualifying.

Espresso said:
If the camper is considered a "home", can you keep a loaded gun in the camper?
You can while parked and not on public roads, highways and their easements. It's a lot grayer when on a road or it's easement. I wouldn't suggest this.

A canvas bag does not meet the criteria for transporting a firearm on a plane. It has to be in a locked, hard-sided case, which can then be put in any sort of luggage, locked or not.

I have a small safe bolted to the camper. Its useful for more than guns. Wallets, phones, cash and other small items go in there.

Let me pipe in...previous Ca LEO and long ago resident of the crappy state...at your own risk transport or possess firearms or high capacity [over 10] magazines in Ca...why? Because the statues governing every single minutia concerning firearms are convoluted and difficult to interpret and enforce by anyone...if an officer of any agency comes in contact with a person with a firearm the odds of that officer either understanding or correctly interpreting the statues is about zero. When in doubt the officer will let the courts decide and you lose. Receive a citation or get arrested and lose your firearm even if you are abiding by the letter of the law and it is a no-win situation for you...court time, lawyers and almost certainly permanent lose of your firearm...plus if arrested the towing/storage of your vehicle if you are in the vehicle. Also don't forget that some jurisdiction, like SF, have gone even further down the road of firearm controls. Sanctuary City status will not help you.

So go for it if you choose to, but be prepared to be ground up in the system.

Just my opinion,

Phil

Ps...Don't feel that the trunk is a safe place from theft; check out FBIs recent loss of an H&K MP5 from the trunk in Contra Costa County [Bay Area].

W6USA said:
A canvas bag does not meet the criteria for transporting a firearm on a plane. It has to be in a locked, hard-sided case, which can then be put in any sort of luggage, locked or not.
Was not implying that it met that criteria since that is not the topic.

Ordered a lockbox yesterday. My mantra has always been to follow the law. Can't remember the last time I was pulled over I think I was still a kid and I'm 65. So I'll take my chances and before I cross the CA border lock it up in the box and the camper. As CHL holder I would tell him I am and probably tell him it's back there.

Oh yea, does unloaded mean I can have a loaded magazine in the lockbox or does it need to be elsewhere?

I have a steel safe that is bolted to the floor of my truck. I keep revolver (unloaded) and computer, and camera, etc. locked up. Chris

XJINTX said:
Ordered a lockbox yesterday. My mantra has always been to follow the law. Can't remember the last time I was pulled over I think I was still a kid and I'm 65. So I'll take my chances and before I cross the CA border lock it up in the box and the camper. As CHL holder I would tell him I am and probably tell him it's back there.

Oh yea, does unloaded mean I can have a loaded magazine in the lockbox or does it need to be elsewhere?
You would need to have the loaded magazine separate. Doesn't need to be locked also, just separate.

Interesting discussion on this topic...and I have learned a lot. Thanks to all who have given input.

Irony is that a concealed carry is for self-protection and protection of loved ones and a firearm needs to be carried on the person to be effective when needed. A locked away firearms does not cut it for self-protection. And the most secure location for control of a firearm is on your person.

Sad times that we are not trusted by those governing us.

Phil

In KA a loaded magazine or a loaded speed-i-loader is a loaded firearm. No matter where it is stored.

I must have missed it when I read the news, or rather the fake news...was CA annexed by Venezuela? Or, has Hugo Chavez been reincarnated in the many CA politicians?

Phil can not be more correct. The best and safest place for a handgun when traveling is on your person. Assuming you have a conceal carry permit or live in a state where none is required. Direct control (on your person) of the weapon is far safer than any other method of carry/storage, except perhaps in the armory. But, even armories have been broken into and select fire weapons stolen.

Politicians and decision-makers like to point to mass killings as the reason behind their misguided beliefs that an unloaded, locked away weapon is a safe weapon that causes no harm.

To illustrate how misguided and deadly this line of thought is, I point to the October 23, 1983 bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut. The bombing killed 241 U.S. and 58 French peacekeepers, six civilians (and the two suicide attackers but who gives a rats a$$ about them). Why? Because the mission statement and orders were not clear and thus, local commanders ordered Marines at checkpoints to carry unloaded weapons! They were NOT permitted to have a loaded magazine inserted into their M-16s!

Whether a Marines barracks or your camper on your truck, laws eliminating one's ability to protect and defend one's life, or the lives of loved ones is a misguided folly perpetuated by organizations and law makers who are truly clueless that evil people live and walk the same paths in life as law abiding people.

And then to give these evil people sanctuary makes the discussion all the more sickening.

My argument is not about who won or loss any given election or if you prefer to be aligned with an elephant or donkey (or Bernie), but, simply that OUR Rights are being bled to death via a thousand cuts and we as a citizenry do not even realize we are bleeding out!

Sadly, if you knowingly fail to comply with CA law while transiting the state, you are no longer a law abiding citizen.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Back
Top Bottom