Handguns traveling in CA stored in FWC?

Advmoto18 said:
I must have missed it when I read the news, or rather the fake news...was CA annexed by Venezuela? Or, has Hugo Chavez been reincarnated in the many CA politicians?

Phil can not be more correct. The best and safest place for a handgun when traveling is on your person. Assuming you have a conceal carry permit or live in a state where none is required. Direct control (on your person) of the weapon is far safer than any other method of carry/storage, except perhaps in the armory. But, even armories have been broken into and select fire weapons stolen.

Politicians and decision-makers like to point to mass killings as the reason behind their misguided beliefs that an unloaded, locked away weapon is a safe weapon that causes no harm.

To illustrate how misguided and deadly this line of thought is, I point to the October 23, 1983 bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut. The bombing killed 241 U.S. and 58 French peacekeepers, six civilians (and the two suicide attackers but who gives a rats a$$ about them). Why? Because the mission statement and orders were not clear and thus, local commanders ordered Marines at checkpoints to carry unloaded weapons! They were NOT permitted to have a loaded magazine inserted into their M-16s!

Whether a Marines barracks or your camper on your truck, laws eliminating one's ability to protect and defend one's life, or the lives of loved ones is a misguided folly perpetuated by organizations and law makers who are truly clueless that evil people live and walk the same paths in life as law abiding people.

And then to give these evil people sanctuary makes the discussion all the more sickening.

My argument is not about who won or loss any given election or if you prefer to be aligned with an elephant or donkey (or Bernie), but, simply that OUR Rights are being bled to death via a thousand cuts and we as a citizenry do not even realize we are bleeding out!

Sadly, if you knowingly fail to comply with CA law while transiting the state, you are no longer a law abiding citizen.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Death by a thousand cuts and slowly turning up the water temp with frogs in the pot until they die are clairvoyant descriptions.

2THDR..."Ka" is the abbreviation for the Red State of "Kalifornica".....

Phil

WTW Members:

The opening post, the topic, of this thread asks for information on the laws for handgun transport. That's a reasonable and appropriate question for "wandering the West".
However, the politics of firearm laws are not an appropriate topic for Wander The West. Please stay on topic.

And it's not cool -- not "nice" -- to disrespect any state on this Forum.
Again, stay on topic and keep it nice, as called for in the Site Rules.

- MarkBC for the WTW Site Team

MarkBC said:
WTW Members:

The opening post, the topic, of this thread asks for information on the laws for handgun transport. That's a reasonable and appropriate question for "wandering the West".
However, the politics of firearm laws are not an appropriate topic for Wander The West. Please stay on topic.

And it's not cool -- not "nice" -- to disrespect any state on this Forum.
Again, stay on topic and keep it nice, as called for in the Site Rules.

- MarkBC for the WTW Site Team

Mark you are absolutely correct...my apology to anyone that my comments offended.

Phil

I would be very interested in what type of vaults people feel comfortable with. I like the console box and price isn't the reason to disallow, if someone were to break in, I'm not convinced a crowbar wouldn't breach the access. And destroy the interior, I don't really know.
Does anyone know of a vault that would be installed in the camper, bolted solid and be concealed. I know "if they want it, they get it" . I just think "they" will be less likely to persevere while standing on there head, trying to dig out a securely locked steel box. Especially not being able to watch for your return. Ive been in a big sh***y city to long, no doubt.
So what are we using for an in the camper install. ?

Thank you all

Rock

This is what I've been using. I have sleeves mounted in both my camper and Jeep so I can move the lock box to either vehicle as needed.

Sorry for my digression as well.

I prefer Pelican cases.
For handguns.
For rifles.

P1075 utilizes two padlocks to secure the case and is easily hidden most anywhere in vehicle and/or camper. These Pelican cases are water/air tight overland.

As to the laws per the OP's request, from the CA DOJ...

"California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container."

You can still carry the handgun in the cab of your pickup truck. The weapon simply must be unloaded and securely locked in a "container".

I built this steel rack. Bolted to floor behind front seats (jump seats removed). The safe is in the center and is large enough for lots of stuff. Includes two slide-out drawers. I can pile more stuff on top of this (like duffle bags, etc. As others have stated, it would not be impossible to remove or get into....but a lot of work. Chris

Attachments

• TruckRack.JPG
    TruckRack.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 103
Good post Phil. I went to ca. doj site to see what kind of pistols are legal, and couldn't make heads or tales of it. x2 for pelican cases bolted or cabled to hard to remove steel.
Only thing I feel safe entering ca. with, securely locked in locked area, are bolt or lever action rifles, and revolvers

Here's the update 2016 CA Firearms Laws Summary.

If one is concerned about possessing a particular firearm while transiting CA, one can always carry a handgun that has been approved for sale in CA by the CA DOJ. To check if your handgun is on the approved list of firearms that may be legally sold in CA, go here. The list is updated daily.

Adhering to the CA roster of certified handguns for sale might be an overly conservative as to what make and model of handgun a visitor might legally possess in CA while transiting.

Interestingly, Glock 43, and for that matter, all Glock Gen4s, is (are) not on the list. Yet, the Glock 43 complies with all regulatory elements of possession in CA. One simply can't purchase a Glock Gen4 or 43 in CA as of this date.

High capacity magazines purchased and/or possessed prior to 2000 are currently legal. However, since there are not any marks on magazines to identify when a magazine was manufactured, Proposition 63 passed in November, bans the possession of ALL magazines (regardless of date of manufacture) with a capacity of more than 10 rounds effective July 1, 2017.

I am not going to permanently or semi-permanently attach my locked, hard-sided case to my vehicle. A determined thief will cause even more damage to your vehicle.

IMO, 90% of the lock boxes for both home and vehicles displayed at SHOT last week are offered for sale for one reason, to allow a handgun owner to comply with the law; not prevent a theft. At best, most of these lock boxes slow a determined thief (not a smash and grab because you left your lock box in plain sight) down less than 30 seconds in most cases. Nearly all lock boxes can be defeated in under a minute if the theft is carrying required tools.

Here's a CA DOJ approved lock box; one of the better selling units in the market place.

Advmoto18 said:
IMO, 90% of the lock boxes for both home and vehicles displayed at SHOT last week are offered for sale for one reason, to allow a handgun owner to comply with the law; not prevent a theft. At best, most of these lock boxes slow a determined thief (not a smash and grab because you left your lock box in plain sight) down less than 30 seconds in most cases. Nearly all lock boxes can be defeated in under a minute if the theft is carrying required tools.

Here's a CA DOJ approved lock box; one of the better selling units in the market place.
What about the
Fort Knox PB4 Personal Handgun Safe
or the
Titan Gun Safe?
I guess it all depends on how much time and access the thief has?

All of the above are helpful links, I cant believe how often I fail to remember how useful Amazon can be when searching for most anything. Thanks. No doubt my hours , days and weeks in the Western outdoors will increase dramatically this year. I am hopeful a lockable safety vault will never be tested . It would also provide a location for cell, tablet, gps while exploring away from camp. the other thought with impenetrable vaults or safes is simply ambush and be asked politely for you to open your safe..

many thanks

Rock

2thdr said:
What about the
Fort Knox PB4 Personal Handgun Safe
or the
Titan Gun Safe?
I guess it all depends on how much time and access the thief has?
Great question!

Important to note the difference in terms, lock box v safe. Ft Knox is the only floor safe I use in the shop. Bolted to threaded rods welded to a steel plate under poured concrete. Stealing the safe would require a wrecker.

The inherit weakness of any safe or lock box is the locking mechanism. The Simplex mechanical lock is one of the better mechanical locks for small safes and avoids many of the issues associated with keyed locks allowing 30 seconds or less to defeat.

The PB4 will likely withstand attempts to gain entry by most thieves. Unless the thief knows you have one and came prepared with the right tools. If so, he will be inside it in under a minute.

If a thief knows you have a stored weapon, you will likely be targeted by a prepared thief. And they do come prepared. For these reasons, it is ill advised to have any kind of decal or sticker such as "Protected by Smith & Wesson", "Glock", "2A", etc. affixed to your vehicle or camper. Funny thing, one of the most heavily armed vehicles I've seen, looks like a hippie vehicle and is affixed with every kind of pacifist sticker you can imagine...like this one.

Screenshot_2017_01_23_17_46_59.png

And I have nothing against people who advocate pacifism or hippies!

We have a lot of great hiding places in our campers. If it is a "smash and grab" thief, they will likely grab the things sitting in plain view or easy access. Most thieves are not going to dedicate the time to perform a thorough search of the camper. And most don't know about the nook and crannies to begin with.

The Titan appears to be a design that attempts to comply with jurisdictions where the handgun must be unloaded and locked in a separate container from the magazine/ammo. Might work for you. Doesn't work for me and quite expensive to boot.

Don't mount the Titan using the ideas suggested in the pictures on Amazon! 99% of the time, covering a high value item in plain view with a sweatshirt or towel is also a dead give-away.

I guess some posts got deleted for political/unapproved language/content...my bad. However I wanted to repost a link to this guy's site. IMO it's great, unbiased info about how easy most of these small "gun safes" are to defeat.

http://www.handgunsaferesearch.com

Watch the videos...pretty amazing.

They'll stop the smash and grab guys and I figure that's 99.9% of the people I have to worry about.

You are allowed to carry 'in camp'. Someone above gave you the most important piece of advice - police officers won't deal with grey area. If they don't know for sure you are in compliance, they will arrest and hold you and let someone else figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Advmoto18 said:
Great question!.....
Screenshot_2017_01_23_17_46_59.png

Don't mount the Titan using the ideas suggested in the pictures on Amazon! 99% of the time, covering a high value item in plain view with a sweatshirt or towel is also a dead give-away.

Your picture reminded me of this one...

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom