Happijac mounting system for a Hawk on a Tundra?

2thdr

Advanced Member
I read an older thread about stress cracks in a Tundra bed caused by the FWC factory install using eyebolts/washers here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6496-cracks-in-tundra-bed-at-turnbuckle-eye-bolts/?hl=happijac

I'm a noob about to pick up a new to me 2011 Hawk on my new 2017 Tundra. The previous owner has used the Hawk since new in his Ford F150 using the factory mounting set up with eyebolts through his pickup bed. I did some talking to a trailer/camper mechanic today where they sell Lance hard sided truck campers among other things. He profusely recommended the Happijac mounting system with the stabilizing bar set up. Maybe this is overkill (it is sure expensive at about $550 installed including turnbuckles), but since I am not proficient in cutting metal and such I am inclined to go this direction...

What is the wisdom here on this issue? Seems like relatively cheap insurance to avoid major damage to the truck bed. They just don't make trucks the way they used to, and the metal is so thin nowadays.

The thing with the Happijac and/or Torklift mounts is that they are external to the bed. It's possible that you could attach to the camper at the jack mounts, but they may be difficult to connect to the front Happijac tabs because of alignment and distance (may be very short). Also, be aware of the rear Happijac connections, I believe they just bolt to the bumper. Considering most are built from beer cans these days, there's not a lot of strength there.

My friend Terry had the "Torklift_Fast guns" turnbuckles on his Kestral(Hawk) 2013 Chev 1500. He had a local welding shop fabricate the pieces that were welded to the frame and the draw bars that extended out from the "pockets" to attach thje "Fast-guns" too, Saved him about $500 if I recall.

When he sold the Kestral last spring the new buyer didn't purchase the "Fast-guns". If anyone is interested in a "deal" send me a PM and I will give you Terry's information. They list at about $ 200 each. Friend Terry is asking $100 each including the locks which cost another at least $15 each.

If you go that route, I would personally recommend Tork-Lift.

Just my personal preference.

Not the cheapest, but solid, and somewhat easy to install.

We usually use the Tork-Lift for the front tie downs.

And to save time & money, the stainless steel universal Happijac buttons in the rear bumper.

Seems to be the easiest for installation, and keeps the cost down too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:)

Stan@FourWheel said:
Stan -- what size Tork-lift's do you use in the front?

If you go that route, I would personally recommend Tork-Lift.

Just my personal preference.

Cheers

Not the cheapest, but solid, and somewhat easy to install.

We usually use the Tork-Lift for the front tie downs.

And to save time & money, the stainless steel universal Happijac buttons in the rear bumper.

Seems to be the easiest for installation, and keeps the cost down too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:)

Something to keep in mind when going with Tork Lift front tie downs, it often blocks the fuel filler door. Fast Gun versus chain style makes it easy to get the tie down off so you can open the door completely. Just don't set the Fast Gun on the running board and drive off. Don't ask how I know that. ;)

Locks on the Fast guns are a good idea too. Keeping honest people honest is helped by a lock...

Back
Top Bottom