Happiness is a warm furnace -- once again

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
The Atwood furnace in my camper hadn't worked in at least a year -- but I got it fixed today.
smile.gif

The symptoms of not working: When the thermostat called for heat the fan turned on and the sparker sparked, which indicated that the fan was turning fast enough to activate the sail switch and allow the sparker to spark. But the flame didn't flame, and after 3 tries the furnace stops trying.

As is my way, I ignored this problem
rolleyes.gif
...and went camping in the winter anyway; I was able to ignore it because I also have a Wave 6 catalytic heater, and that works well. And don't think that a cat heater doesn't work well -- it kept my FWC Hawk comfy inside (assisted by Reflectix on the soft-sides) when the outside temperature dropped to 2°F last December in northern Nevada. I proved to myself that I can be comfortable in winter without the noisy and electrically-demanding furnace.

HOWEVER: the forced-air furnace -- though noisy and electricity-consuming -- does a good job of heating up the camper fast...there's no denying that. It's nice to be able to crank it up first thing in the morning to "take the chill off" quickly. I decided that I really would like to have a working furnace again -- for the convenience it offers, and since I'll be starting on another camping trip next week NOW is the time to get the furnace working again.

I figured that maybe the automatic propane valve wasn't opening...or something, but I didn't feel qualified (or motivated) to try to fix it myself.
So, I took it to Jerry's RV here in Bend. It took the service guy 2 hours to troubleshoot and fix the problem, he had to remove the furnace and take it into the shop...and -- sure enough -- it was a bad valve. There was also some clogging of orifices by "rust".
They only charged me for one hour labor...not sure if that's because that's their customary time-charge for furnace service or because he felt bad that it took so long (he apologized, in fact) to diagnose and fix the problem (since "bad valve" was my guess right from the start). The cost of the new valve was the most expensive part of the charge anyway. He said that a bad valve is very rare...maybe that's why it took him so long to figure it out. After re-installing the furnace he fired it up and it poured out heat!

Anyway....now that I have a working furnace AND my Wave 6 (and my snow-roof-rake), I'm ready for anything that winter in the Great Basin can throw at me!
smile.gif

I'm ready for anything that winter in the Great Basin can throw at me!
smile.gif

It was throwing a lot of snow at us when we were there. The park was pretty much closed. You could walk anywhere you wanted but they wouldn't let us drive anywhere. We loved it. And of course there is always the cave...

Happiness is a warm camper. :)

You've got that very right! We are loving our furnace.

Congrats! On my first camper, the old Skamper, I took apart the furnace twice to get it working. Let me tell you, I was a hero to my girlfriend! haha Having a heater is sure nice!

I just put my pick-up truck back on the road, installed a electronic thermostat in the pop up which should make the furnace run better creating a more even temp. Since it runs on AAA batteries I will have the old thermostat on hand as a back up.

I also have bought a snow rake and taller ladder.

First out of town ski trip will be coming up in the new year.

I'm ready for anything that winter in the Great Basin can throw at me!

And I also have a set of chains for all four tires.
It would have to be an extreme emergency -- stuck on a backcountry road or required by the law -- before I'd be willing to put them on...but if I'm going to say "ready for anything that winter...", I need to mention those, too.
biggrin.gif

This pic from a couple of New Years back just to illustrate how much I appreciate the furnace part of my old funky Palomino. We camped near Mickey Hot Springs on the east side of Steens Mtn. Arrived late the night before and just figured it might hold potential for some morning photography. Woke up to about 12F in the camper, -5 outside and some spectacular pre-sunrise light. Stumbled out into the cold and shot pix till our fingers, feet and faces went numb. Upon arriving back in camper I fired the furnace and catalytic heater (Portable Mr. Buddy) and had the interior back to the comfort zone in just a few short minutes. Of course all our water was ice but from years of winter camping with less luxury I still always fill the kettle and a pot just before bed so at the minimum the required coffee fix is handled.

gallery_2596_386_179878.jpg

I was lucky, my used '86 Grandby (bought in '05) came with the furnace.
What a joy! 5 minutes in front of that thing brings your life awake in the morning.

Especially, when you are sitting on the "Mr. Thetford Porty Potty" - helps blow that oder away too.

That is all, but it sure does work good!

~DR

Back
Top Bottom