Hatchet?

brett13

Lovecock
I'm in need of a new camp ax. I always used the el cheapo "camp ax" for $10 from anywhere, but I thought I'd see if it was worth it to invest in a better one. Anyone have a preference or thoughts on the matter?

I used to use the crappy axe and hatchets as well. Bad idea. Get yourself a nice Gerber or Fiskars. Very nice. Light. Easy to carry or stow. Sharp and cuts nicely. First time you use it You'll understand why.

good luck.

dave

Bret13:

Wow, that is a nice one at Cabela's. More expensive than what I have. Won't go wrong with any of these. I used to have a long handled one, but settled for a hatchet these days. Short and simple to store. Good luck.

dave

Rigging Ax

I used to frame houses so I am partial to the Vaughn 28 oz rigging ax. I've had it for years now and its never let me down. Its got a waffle hammer head on the opposite end of the blade and holds its edge well. I use it at home for spilitting kindling and take it on the road.

My 2 cents.

Having had a love affair with tools for 40 years now, I have collected all kinds of 'em. I prefer the machete over all my hatchets and axes.

I could never understand the machete thing. I have a cheapo myself. Then I was watching an episode of one of those survivor guy shows. Man he a nice machete. Musta cost a fortune.

Recently got the long handled Fiskars for about $30 at OSH. Light, strong, sharp, and stows away nicely.

I like the Max-Axe, But $$$$$:eek:

Machete...
Forgot all about that. A very handy tool if you have a nice one. I just worry when other people borrow mine. Scares me. I may have to put it in the camper so I can use it next trip. Good idea, guys.

dm

Better then a hatchet or machete

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

newlogo6.gif

I have this one.

284-3.jpg

If you MUST have a hatchet, this Roselli is an excellent choice.
I have one of these as well.

imgbf1a125bzik6zj.jpeg

The attached picture shows an ax about the right size for most city folk. A full size ax is a bit heavy in the hands of a beginner, or a smaller person. A hatchet is too small to fell trees or split logs. Because we are discussing a tool to be carried in a truck, there is no reason to have less than something optimum.

I carried a woodsman's friend on my sailboat on a circumnavigation. It was almost useless, more of weapon than anything else. I think a light tool like that is best in a tropical setting as a substitute for a machete, useful for clearing brush around a campsite. For camping in our temperate climate, minimal tools include an ax, a paring knife, and a pair of Vice-Grips. A camper who knows how to keep an ax and knife sharp probably knows how to use them, and vice versa. Regardless of the tool, the skill of the user is more important than the tool itself.

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 441
John,
I more impressed with you circumnavigation than your ax knowledge. On my Morgan Out Island '41 we just had a chain saw.

AX AX I said Adz

Proof Read........never

Mr. Pueblo, maybe you and me should look into some kind of online proof reading service, I know I have to do a better job, and maybe.............

Nothing like having some training in how to use your tools.
I remember well, my first day at cdf. They had a log down. "heres an ax, chop it in half". I know they got a good laugh out it, but they also showed me how to do it right. I still would rather sharpen my lawn mower blade with a hand file than use a grinder.

I still would rather sharpen my lawn mower blade with a hand file than use a grinder.

Ugh... I remember my dad making me do that a couple of times a season for each of our 3 lawn mowers (big yard, lots of trees, PITA to mow too!) I LOVE my Xeriscape yard now...

I can think of very few instances where a full size axe could be of any use to a camper.
It's illegal to chop down trees in State Parks, National Parks, BLM land etc. w/o a permit; and a felling axe isn't good for much else.
The typical uses of a camp axe are easily handled by a Woodman's pal; if you know how to use it. :p
I camp all over the country and get by fine with my pal and a small folding hand saw.

National forest lands, and I think BLM lands too, if its dead and down you can cut it for firewood. Of course I use my chainsaw for that instead of an axe. Permits are only necessary if you want to take the wood home.

Canadian Provincial Parks frequently provide firewood in the form of short logs. The logs need to be split to burn.

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg