Hatchet?

I ended up getting this:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=168

You know, Kershaw makes great knives and this looked right. Don't buy it! Its a nice piece- solid, sharp blade, but too small. Great for kindling, but not good for anything larger and I like a more versatile ax since I'm pretty good with it.

I ordered a Fiskars. We'll see.

Ax or ?

I carry a hatchet that was given to us as a wedding present with our names and anniv date engraved!:eek: So, I'm kinda partial to that but I talked and split wood with a city firefighter in California that had a great Mini-maul, hatchet sized. It was a great tool and I have not been able to find one to add to my arsenal. I used to carry a Pulaski, a dedicated fire fighting and all around handy tool but jettisoned it in favor of less weight/size. I also carry a Sandvik handsaw.

So, oh wise ones, what type of shovel do you all carry??? The one I carry now might be good for snow but not much else. I think I will replace with a folddown type found in an Army-Navy store.

I carry a hatchet that was given to us as a wedding present with our names and anniv date engraved!:eek: So, I'm kinda partial to that but I talked and split wood with a city firefighter in California that had a great Mini-maul, hatchet sized. It was a great tool and I have not been able to find one to add to my arsenal. I used to carry a Pulaski, a dedicated fire fighting and all around handy tool but jettisoned it in favor of less weight/size. I also carry a Sandvik handsaw.

So, oh wise ones, what type of shovel do you all carry??? The one I carry now might be good for snow but not much else. I think I will replace with a folddown type found in an Army-Navy store.

I use an old fold down type I inherited from my Dad's old gear, might have had a name at one time but I can't tell now. Still pretty solid.

shovel

I picked one up years ago in the hardware store. I guess its a garden shovel- looks like a standard shovel, but is about 27" end to end, so its longer than the standard folding army/navy/camp shovel by 4 or 5". And the steel shovel itself is smaller than the standard shovel, but still big enough to do some work. It also has a handle at the end rather than just the shaft. That makes gripping it really sturdy. Weighs a little more than a folder, but not even close to full size shovel. I wouldn't carry anything smaller, but if I get around to it, I might replace the shaft with one 30-36"" and it would be perfect.

German Army surplus entrenching tool

I used to carry a cheap entrenching tool, but it was so week it was almost worthless, so then I carried a regular old shovel (spade). About 5 years ago I found a German army entrenching tool at an Army/Navy surplus store. It is solidly built and has both a pick and a shovel head. It's served me well ever since.

Axe

I started Carrying this one when my wife had to borrow an axe from someone camping next to us and teased me about being a fireman without an axe. This one works surprisingly well and has a small saw that fits in the handle. Easy to stow in the camper because of its compact size.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020024511868a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=hatchet&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I stumbled on to this 10 year old thread, and thought it would be interesting to see if anything has changed over the years. I carry an Estwing hatchet or an Estwing cruiser axe, and a Northwoods pack saw.

I carry both the mentioned Estwing implements but a Silky folding saw. I prefer a saw as it takes longer to remove one's appendages while boondocking with a saw.

Paul

Wow, ten years in and nobody has mentioned to the OP, who may have passed by now and if so rest in peace, that the best hatchet ever is a Granfors Bruk. Kind of pricey but they make all others look like junk including the Fiskers style 'tools' which are mere fashion accessories. If you're lucky your local Husqvarna dealer will have some left over Husqvarna hatchets or small woods axes in stock.
They were made for them by Wetterlings and are also awesome. They were about $35.00/ea too which was the all time steal for a quality axe or hatchet.

I have a Gransfor Bruk axe and hatchet. My favorite camp axe is my Hults Bruk Aneby. I can't really say that one brand is better than the other. Gransfors Bruk do cost more but that doesn't necessarily mean they are superior. It may have to do with their smaller production #s, I do like that Gransfors Bruk axes are stamped with the makers initials on them.

http://hultsbruk1697.se/products/the-aneby/

I use a Silky Bigboy saw around the home, pack their 8"Gomboy for trail work and camping, and their short 5" saw resides in my bugout kit.

After looking at Hults Bruk(Aneby) and Gransfor Bruk(forest Axe), I settled on Council Tool's Pack axe(24"). Great quality, U.S. made, perfect for processing campfire wood and enough heft for splitting . Couldn't be happier.

Yeah, Yeah, all nice axes and hatchets but how many of you carry a pickaroon?
I carry a hatch length pickaroon along with my other tools and have a full length one at home.
Move those logs with ease...
(Also good for the zombie apocalypse)

I'm trying my best to minimize my camping equipment. Please don't tell me about another thing I need. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom