Hatchet?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I stumbled on to this 10 year old thread, and thought it would be interesting to see if anything has changed over the years. I carry an Estwing hatchet or an Estwing cruiser axe, and a Northwoods pack saw.

After several inferior ax purchases I finally bought an Estwing like this and really like it. Small enough to use easily but large enough to get the job done..

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Campers-Axe-Splitting-Construction/dp/B00002N5N7/ref=pd_bxgy_200_3/139-9837895-6899508?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00002N5N7&pd_rd_r=ccacd284-9dfa-482f-bb5d-df3b283f7860&pd_rd_w=qhw4G&pd_rd_wg=VV9BA&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=00TN9XPRBPTNQRH22VJ6&psc=1&refRID=00TN9XPRBPTNQRH22VJ6

I carry an Estwing hatchet and one of those saws with a kinda "D" shape to it but more pointed at the business end and with a rubber handle on the "taller" end. Most importantly, are they SHARP! I can sharpen the hatchet, but depending on how much use the saw gets, I just replace the 24" (?) blade on it when I think it is getting dull.

When camping I doubt you will be felling any standing trees unless it is allowed to drop the dead ones where you are headed for. Otherwise you are going to be finding ones that are down for one reason or another and you won't need to cut through a 2' in diameter log just to get a little firewood for the evening campfire.

Some parks do NOT want you transporting wood from one place to another that might have beetles or other infestations on them which is perfectly cool with me. I just stop along the way near my destination and off the highway, not on private land, you can usually find some downed wood that meets your criteria.....no larger diameter than maybe 6" and enough of it to cut for the nights you are going to be staying there.

So for me....a full size axe or a 3/4 size axe is overkill anyway and if I had to choose between one of them vs the saw and hatchet; the latter would win in a heartbeat. The saw for cutting to length and the hatchet to split some small stuff for kindling and medium sized wood to get the fire going.

Don't for get your SHOVEL....to put out any fire caused by an ember! I have a WWII US folding shovel that is good for many uses around camp for that and it can be used to clear the area around your fire ring from combustibles. Just remember to return the site to how you found it when you leave unless you are in a developed campsite!

If you are headed for the wet country...chop some kindling at home (8" x 1/2") and dip in paraffin to help get it going fast and cheat a little more with some newspaper kept in a zip-lock bag!

Slight thread drift but adding to PackRat’s comment about kindling my wife likes to collect the dryer lint and stuffs it into the left over TP rolls... it does start a fire!

I use a hatchet Schrade SCAXE2G. Much better off with a Husqvarna at a better price as well. It is hatchet with an ergonomic handle whose firm grip eliminates the likelihood of a hand slip during use.The blade is razor sharp out of the box and does not require additional sharpening until much later when it starts to get dull. The head is coated in titanium for extra durability and wear and corrosion resistance.

How do you dress the edge when in the field? I carry one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Puck-Multi-Purpose-Sharpener-Blade/dp/B000B8FW0Y/ in the CTD and need to get two more for the short axes in other vehicles.

Recently had a friend's hatchet and anothers axe both need more than the stone could do. I've used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Handle-American-Pattern-Rectangular/dp/B001R1QCN0/ in the past to rehabilitate an obliterated edge, but didn't have one with me. 3 of them now in my cart.....

I sharpen my Gransfors Bruks using a mill bastard. The bastard works well enough for me.

Vic Harder said:
woah, you guys keep your hatchets way sharper than I do! Stropping an axe? You planning to shave with it? :oops:
When you properly sharpen a knife or an axe there should be a slight burr left that is taken off with a strop. It takes 10 seconds to strop an edge. Maybe overkill for an axe but it's just habit for me. I've never shaved with a knife but I like to keep it as sharp as possible anyway.

I've never stropped an axe or hatchet. I stop at the fine stone since is that sharp enough for what I need to do. My dad had a friend who was a former lumberjack. His axe could be shaved with.

Abe Lincoln said ...if a man hired me for the day to cut down a tree, I'd spend seven hours sharpening my ax.
Me... I love to sharpen my shop hand tools... scary sharp...they cut so effortlessly... but a hatchet... i'll knock that burr off on the first hit.

I take a Fiskars splitting axe or hatchet. Good compromise for me. Works great for camp/fire chores and splitting small logs but I've never tried to fell a tree with one....

I have a couple hatchets and several axes. I mostly carry a STIHL 180 chain saw. A few weeks ago I found my ancient Estwing hatchet. It was very rusty and the handle looked like a gallon of varnish was poured on it.
I wish I would have taken a before and after pic but I didn't. I did get a new sheath for it. My Grandpa or my uncle gave it to me. I can't remember now because I received so many. I have easy a dozen axes and hatchets. I polished the steel and changed the shape of the handle leather. I am going to put it in the camper now.

ppSQ04L.jpg

XAIOnlU.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom