Hauling FWC on stock 2021 Toyota Tacoma

Clint Burt

Hi there, I recently bought a 2017 Fleet FWC! I live in Bellingham and need to haul it to Mule Outfitters in Issaquah to get truck and camper upgrades. I plan on buying load E rated tires before I go. Also, leaving early to get through Seattle traffic before it gets bad. Is this a bad idea? I do have hauling, towing experience. I'm not new to hauling heavy things.

Here's what Mule is going to do
They are going to run 2awg wire from the Battery to the bed with appropriate breakers. The camper currently has 2 awg wiring through a Blue Sea ARC. Mule is going to upgrade the battery to a Battle Born 100ah. I was looking at Renology's website and they have a 200 ah lithium battery for the same price. Is there a reason to go with half the battery at the same price?
They are adding a Redarc dc to dc charger and a Victron BMV 712 smart battery monitor, Bridgestone bags and cradle, Hellwig sway bar, Falcon sport tow/haul shock absorber system (2" lift).
We plan on using the camper as much as possible. Right now that's maybe two weeks - three weeks a year. Is there any other recommendations? I plan on adding solar down the road.
I'll add photos soon
Thanks for all your help,
you guys a great,
Clint

Attachments

• IMG_9152.JPG
    IMG_9152.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 70598276532__1355A73A-5CDF-4883-8ED8-F49C88B4ABE4.JPG
    70598276532__1355A73A-5CDF-4883-8ED8-F49C88B4ABE4.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 34
Our Tacoma barely notices the camper is on there. It should be fine. Mule will upgrade your rear suspension, but in my opinion it'll be fine for one ride. Do it in the daytime, as your lights will be pointing a bit upwards. All the weight of our camper was on the rear axle. Take anything out that isn't necessary for Mule, like mattress and seat pads, water, table, etc to lower the weight if you can. (The only suspension upgrade we have is "Sumosprings" -- which work fine for us).

Wow, 2 awg. That seems like a lot for a 100 or 200 ah battery! We used 6 awg. But it'll work fine.

We have a 100 ah battery and it works great for up to three nights. But we only have a fridge, heater, lights, one fan, and USB plugs. If you use more electricity and don't drive for more days, you might want the 200 ah.

Stop by in Everett on your way back!

Thanks Curmudgeon, sometimes I need someone to tell me it will be fine.
I'll reach out to you if we go through Everett at a reasonable time.
Thanks for the invite.

With the mounting system from FWC. The two bars mounted in the truck bed and four turnbuckles.

Clint Burt said:
Thanks Curmudgeon, sometimes I need someone to tell me it will be fine.
I'll reach out to you if we go through Everett at a reasonable time.
Thanks for the invite.
Sounds great!

I’m not sure how “curmudgeon “ was added to my profile. I noticed that a few months ago.

As far as the battery question, check the dimensions on the options. In my case, no way that 200AH Renogy would fit, where I currently have 300AH of 6V batteries.

I measured Devil Dave and the depth of my battery area is 20 5/8" and Renology's website claims the battery is 20.6 inches long.
5/8"= .625
.6= 39/64 (.6093)
That's a tight fit. I don't guys. Is it worth a shot?

What are your electrical needs? Do you anticipate needing that much battery capacity? That seems a little iffy in case the battery is just a skosh bigger.

You could call Renogy and see if someone can put a tape on the battery and verify the measurement since it’s so close. Or post the model number and ask if anyone here who has one will measure it for you.

Back
Top Bottom