Have I lost my mind?

When I replaced my fan it was a matter of keeping some of my weight on the ladder and then trying to spread out as much as possible.

The vent mechanism can be accessed from inside. Likely just something misaligned and can be popped back into alignment.

Far more embarrassing will be the first time you forget the latches and your pop-up pops up while driving. Not to worry, it happens to most of us. Does not hurt anything.

I made a checklist, laminated it, and hung it with red ribbon from a couple of places in the truck cab:

- propane off
- vents closed
- awning retracted
- water pump switch off
- camper lights off
- 6 camper latches secured
- drain hose and bag packed
- drain cap tight
- fresh water latch shut

Of course we don't look at it very often, but the list copies are still dangling. We also do a walk around before leaving, just in case we forgot something.

Enjoy your adventure-mobile!

Tony

From what you say about the vent cap, it sounds like the teeth on the lifter mechanism have worn down. Several of us with hawks have experienced this, probably due to vent lid chattering in the airflow over the front end. Mine used to start the day closed and finish the day open. As it chattered its way open, the teeth on the lifter get eaten away. The part is available on line and is an easy replacement from inside the camper. After my original vent lid cracked, I replaced it with the slightly different but workable domed vent cap, and all the chattering stopped.

Thank you Andy, that's helpful. I need to understand how that lifter mechanism works and can probably fix it from the inside. If not, maybe I'll replace the vent with a fan, since two fans seem better than one fan and one vent.

On our way home from purchasing the camper we turned the furnace on for a minute or two to make sure it worked, and heard the fan and the burner. So at least for the moment that's working fine. Will make sure I know where the sail switch is.

Tony--I have been so focused on the latches that I think I have not been focusing on the other stuff. A laminated checklist is in my future!

I'm going to take a look at the vent today. I am wondering if it would make sense to replace it with another vent/fan?? Don't know how much parts vs new vent vs new fan cost. I guess I'll be finding out.

Sounds like you are getting used to the new rig.
A check list works.There are things you might miss when setting up and closing.
Like leveling blocks easy to drive away and forget them.
Opening and closing I find the latches are the first concern.
Have a great time .
Frank

I replaced both vents on ours with maxxair fans front and back. The rear has the dome that you can vent without rain coming in. They have a push up lock on the crank that helps them from opening on their own.

I did use big sheet of plywood on the roof and felt confident that my weight was spread out over a large surface area of the roof. I was laying down and cleaning up the old caulk and reaching the back side of the vents. Being on a ladder was less safe than laying on the roof.

The front vent is already prewired for a fan. You can get the Fantastic fan guts and put it in the front vent and not have to worry about removing the vent from the roof.

Tony--I have been so focused on the latches that I think I have not been focusing on the other stuff. A laminated checklist is in my future!

I'm going to take a look at the vent today. I am wondering if it would make sense to replace it with another vent/fan?? Don't know how much parts vs new vent vs new fan cost. I guess I'll be finding out.
As for the vent cover and lift arm, the wind turbulence across the top of the camper lifts the lid even when tightly closed. Eventually the lid will raise up and often is destroyed by the wind. The gear mesh (fit between gears) in the lift mechanism is too loose and allows the lid to raise. The cover and lift arms are available on amazon but measure the bolt spacing on the lift arm before ordering since there are two different lift arms. I used a spring to hold the knob in the closed position when driving, this keeps the lid shut and prevents the lift arm from rattling open. And I use a piece of plywood to distribute my weight when working on the roof. I don't climb all of the way onto the roof, only work from the sides.

Attachments

• 20190202_154255 attach spring.jpg
    20190202_154255 attach spring.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 31
This past weekend we went camping and once again were waved at by a passing vehicle on the highway that something was happening on the roof. We pulled over, climbed up for a look, and didn't see anything amiss. But I suspect the vent cover was raised while driving. I have a spring like the one you pictured above and will use that if we go anywhere before I figure out whether I'm going to turn this vent into a fan (Fan-tastic or Maxx Fan) or just get a new lift arm. Thanks for those specific descriptions.

On a happier note, on the weekend we had heavy rain and cold morning temperatures (close to freezing--welcome to mid-June in Oregon!) which allowed us to test the heater (worked great) and the water-tightness of the vinyl popup portion of the camper. We noted wet vinyl walls in the morning, especially in the corner of the bed where our heads were. I assume that is condensation only, not rain coming in. It was significant, but didn't drip down and get any bedding or pillows wet. We didn't have the vent or the fan open since we were trying to stay warm, but maybe a vent needs to be open at night no matter how cold it is, to cut down on condensation.

A big yes regarding ventilation. Open a lower window to help with drafting out condensation. Also, if your mattress is directly contacting the cabover board, consider getting Hypervent or some other means of getting an airspace.

Sounds like a great time getting to know your camper.

I will say that it is known that at some point you may have a leak up front behind the mattress. It happened to me and others. The amber running lights on the front will leak water past the seal when driving into the rain. You can take the screws off and use some sealer to create a better seal.

We noted wet vinyl walls in the morning, especially in the corner of the bed where our heads were. I assume that is condensation only, not rain coming in. It was significant, but didn't drip down and get any bedding or pillows wet. We didn't have the vent or the fan open since we were trying to stay warm, but maybe a vent needs to be open at night no matter how cold it is, to cut down on condensation.
In 4 plus years of sun, rain, rain and wind, freezing - we always keep both vents open, partly open at least, anyway. It is part of the set-up ritual. Unless it is actively raining with wind coming in from the headward side, we peel back at least a corner of the transparent vinyl over the window. Fresh air is one of the biggest benefits of camping! Never had a condensation or leak issue (except droplet bounce from near an open vent during intense downpours.) We have slept in the camper about ten or eleven months since February 2020.

My biggest annoyance is when a full moon shines on my face through the vent in the middle of the night!

Last edited:
hey, i just read this. welcome to wtw. i live up in pdx area, and might see u on the road.

Back
Top Bottom