Have you weighed your FWC?

billharr

Put the Hawk on the scale today, I loaded it up after my build. Put the truck on the scale empty, went home loaded the camper and went back. 1,200 pounds after my build. I did not do a weight on the shell before. FWC tag says 700 pounds for the shell I purchased used. It did have a heater, stove, front dinette and propane tanks. I have to assume the 700# is for an empty shell. My 1,200# weight is with the propane tanks full but the water tank empty.

Has anyone else put there camper on a scale to check the true weight?

gallery_1903_734_136939.jpg

gallery_1903_734_128869.jpg

My 2010 Hawk weighs 1386lbs - Empty. It has close to a full load w/ AC. No roof racks only 1 Batt. Full load with humans and 2 x GSD is 2046lbs .... and yes I run a half ton with air bags :( (Insert Ridicule Here). Next Truck will be a 3/4 ton.

Weight taken from a Gov't scale.

The Eagle shell weighs 1000 pounds dry with: aux battery, fantastic fan, front lifters, Fiamma awning, screen door, Engle mt - 35 fridge, two cabinets, sink, counter, couch, porta- potty, empty dry food box, single burner stove, folding garbage can, sliding drawers.

Update June 2017

Reweighed it. Modified Shell weight 1,125 pounds

2012 Hawk, dual batteries, furnace, 110L two way frig, couch, stove, sink, etc.
At the scales, dry, empty, and jacks removed: 1,330 pounds.

I haven't checked fully loaded but probably around a ton then add dogs and humans.
With my truck I have around a 3,000 pound payload capacity....I'll second the 3/4 ton route.
If your buying used DON"T trust the sticker:

3lSyk3z.jpg

As Rotti reports, the weight sticker states" posted weight is with standard equipment." Adding anything will add weight. That is reason for buying a 3/4 ton truck for a small family plus a Hawk (or Grandby camper). As your wet weight could be 8,000 pounds or more !!!

I'm going to remove my camper for a few days soon (to make it easier to do some roof work -- install Fantastic Fan), so I'll get a with/without weight on the truck. It's rare that I have the opportunity as I've only had the camper off twice in 8+ years.

Some camper builders actually weigh the final product as built....Hallmark for one comes to mind.
In my case, the Hawk with the jacks on, weighs twice what the sticker indicates.
To my mind that is a problem that should be addressed industry wide.

On edit, from the Hallmark web site:

"True Dry Weights
Every Hallmark pop-up truck camper is weighed at the factory on an in-house portable racing scale system. These weights are then accurately reflected on our website and printed materials. At Hallmark, you will be provided with both finished and unfinished weights. These two weights will give you an accurate assessment of what you are putting on your truck."

rotti said:
Some camper builders actually weigh the final product as built....Hallmark for one comes to mind.
In my case, the Hawk with the jacks on, weighs twice what the sticker indicates.
I have the placard as posted above in #5 and was provided a Certificate of Weight by FWC at delivery showing my Grandby at 1,435 lbs delivered (dry weight).

JHa6av8r said:
I have the placard as posted above in #5 and was provided a Certificate of Weight by FWC at delivery showing my Grandby at 1,435 lbs delivered (dry weight).
Good to hear they are doing that now.....yours must be newer than mine?

I ran over the scales with my fully loaded hawk this summer. We had baby crap (stroller, extra clothes, bassinett etc), rock climbing gear, full tank of water plus a smaller more portable water jug for drinking, dual 6V batteries, small bbq, hi-lift jack, off road recovery gear, full loaded with camper options. I came in at 1700lbs. Glad I have my 3/4T!

I know I can pare down my supplies but I have the room and capacity. The baby stuff really adds up. I'm hoping this year we can slim her packing supplies down a touch.

Baby crap will stay until she is about 5 years old.
I know because we have 4 kids and 6 grand kids. I can't believe the amount of stuff you have to haul around these days. Everybody has to have a car seat and a seat belt !! In the old days we would just put them asleep in the Lance overhead bed (without seat belts)
and off we would go. :)

I see that in my thread I didn't put the actual weight of the camper. I weighed the truck empty no tailgate and it was 5200. After I got back from picking up my camper I weighed the truck and camper at 6480 empty so my empty camper weighs 1280 pounds. I can't remember if the jacks were on or not when I weighed it.

In my thread the pickup and camper weighed 6700. I guess my camper with all my stuff but no water, no jacks weighs 1500 pounds. So my cooking stuff, food and junk weighs 220 pounds.

My hawk is a base model with the screen door, three way fridge, and thermal pack.

Grandby shell. With jacks, couch, engel 45,steps.roof rack, rear cabnet, few odds and ends, couple gal. water, 1330 lbs.

For my empty Fleet the tags says #660 but the Cat Scale said #646. Throw in the minimal options it comes to #741.
Cheers

They weigh them at the factory before they mount them now. My Hawk weighed 1500 lbs dry!
I have almost every option available. With the jacks removed, which I do for trips it probably weighs 1300 lbs or so dry.
Keep in mind that Ford and probably all 1/2 ton trucks like the F150 have an extra heavy duty payload package that puts you well within the payload hauling the Hawk. If Ford says I have the payload, that's good enough for me. The truck does handle the camper quite well IMO, although I have the Firestone RideRites installed and highly recommend them.

2001 Tundra 4x4 V-8 access cab, 1985 Fleet with ice box, no furnace, no batteries. Weighed with camping gear and propane, but no water. Truck + me = 4940 lb. Weight with camper is 5790 lb. Bottom line: 1985 Fleet weighs about 850 lb with some camping gear in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

RC Pilot Jim said:
Baby crap will stay until she is about 5 years old.
I know because we have 4 kids and 6 grand kids. I can't believe the amount of stuff you have to haul around these days. Everybody has to have a car seat and a seat belt !! In the old days we would just put them asleep in the Lance overhead bed (without seat belts)
and off we would go. :)
Sage advice. Everyone survived and grew up just fine! :)

My Ranger II "shell" weights 600 lbs. exactly. Because of the "minimalist" approach I am taking, I expect the additional gear taken with me on a typical trip will be close to the 180 lbs.. I added weights to the back to see how it would look with my "stock" suspension.

gallery_4007_842_135109.jpg

.​

gallery_4007_842_244947.jpg

I recently had new springs installed after one had broken. I`m sure there stiffer than my worn out ones and am happy with the way the truck sits.

I also have a Ranger II on a 1986 Toyota Turbo RTE and it weighs 980 LBS with 3 way fridge, forced air heater, inside shower, house battery, 350 watt Honda lunch box generator/fuel, full 5 gal propane and 12 gal water tanks, Magmun BBQ, misc tools, rope, etc., food for 2 weeks and all of my hunting and fishing gear. I installed OME rear springs and shocks and am very happy with the height and ride.

CWD

241w1lc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom