Have you weighed your FWC?

Wow!!! They look like twin brothers or something. That must be a 1998 model Range II ??? It would be useful for me to ask a whole bunch of Toyota related questions about your truck, but thats not what this thread is about— I will PM you some questions about your unit.
.​
full

.​
But what relates to the thread is how they're different. You have a engine with 173 ft. lbs. torque, mine is only 136 ft. lbs.. Yours is a turbo—thus nice at elevation, mine is naturally aspirated. That's why a camper that is lighter, even if it is only 200 lbs., is an imperative in my case.
I will try to quantify this difference to add to the thread. Perhaps I can test what the addition of 200-300 lbs. makes to climbing a hill where my engine is "maxed out." Although I do notice it, the extra weight doesn't seem to create any great problems in terms of suspension or braking.

My motor has been upgraded quite a bit and is pushing much higher HP and torque numbers than a stock 22RTE. I have no power issues even at altitude. There are guys getting 360 rear wheel HP and 300 ft of torque from these motors. Of course the RTE trucks came with bigger axles, stronger transmissions and better brakes as well. What is interesting is how much lighter the older model FW campers seem to be, especially the Ranger II (Eagle) models. My truck was 3700 lbs empty and 4680 lbs with the loaded camper installed, still well below GVW.

cwd

I found this a few minutes ago. It says dry weight for the Hawk is 1,095 lbs from an ad in 2015 TruckCamper Magazine
On their own website www.fourwh.com and what they sent me as brochures, it says for the Hawk that the base weight is 895 lbs
That's a 200 pound difference!

From TCM
Four Wheel Hawk Hard Top - $15,595
The Four Wheel Hawk Hard Top is a hard side, non-slide truck camper.

Specifications
Dry Weight* Wet Weight** Overall Length Floor Length Truck Type
1,095 pounds 1,912 pounds 129" 80" Long or Short Bed
Width Interior Height Exterior Height Center of Gravity Batteries
80" 6'4" N/A N/A One or Two
Tank Sizes
Fresh Gray Black Water Heater Propane Tanks
20 gallons N/A N/A Optional 2x 10 pounds

*All dry weights are provided by Four Wheel Campers.

**Four Wheel Camper Hawk Hard Top: dry weight, 1,095 pounds + 20 gallons fresh, 166.8 pounds + 2x 10 pound full propane tanks, 20 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 1,911.8 pounds

FROM FWC
Key Benefits:
Lightweight – Base model weighs only 895 lbs.
Low Profile – Thickness of the cab-over is only 10 inches in the down position.
6 ft 6 inches of interior headroom when popped up.
Sleeps 3 – 4 adults in comfort using a queen sized cabover bed and a couch/bed conversion.

I'm confused and concerned

I believe the base weight is the weight for the Hawk without options and the dry weight is with options, no water, equipment, human, or pet weight. I'm confused about the discussion of a hardside camper. In the Hawk section of the website they say base weight 895 and dry weight 895. There is a PDF that lists the weights for the options you ordered. FWC weighs your camper before it leaves the factory and that weight is noted in your paperwork.

100acrehuphalump said:
I found this a few minutes ago. It says dry weight for the Hawk is 1,095 lbs from an ad in 2015 TruckCamper Magazine
On their own website www.fourwh.com and what they sent me as brochures, it says for the Hawk that the base weight is 895 lbs
That's a 200 pound difference!

From TCM
Four Wheel Hawk Hard Top - $15,595
The Four Wheel Hawk Hard Top is a hard side, non-slide truck camper.

Specifications
Dry Weight* Wet Weight** Overall Length Floor Length Truck Type
1,095 pounds 1,912 pounds 129" 80" Long or Short Bed
Width Interior Height Exterior Height Center of Gravity Batteries
80" 6'4" N/A N/A One or Two
Tank Sizes
Fresh Gray Black Water Heater Propane Tanks
20 gallons N/A N/A Optional 2x 10 pounds

*All dry weights are provided by Four Wheel Campers.

**Four Wheel Camper Hawk Hard Top: dry weight, 1,095 pounds + 20 gallons fresh, 166.8 pounds + 2x 10 pound full propane tanks, 20 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 1,911.8 pounds

FROM FWC
Key Benefits:
Lightweight – Base model weighs only 895 lbs.
Low Profile – Thickness of the cab-over is only 10 inches in the down position.
6 ft 6 inches of interior headroom when popped up.
Sleeps 3 – 4 adults in comfort using a queen sized cabover bed and a couch/bed conversion.

I'm confused and concerned
FWC use to offer hardside (non-pop-up) versions of their camper. The hardside weighed 200#'s more than the pop-up. They recently discontinued they hardside in anticipation of relaunching the Six-Pac line.

100acrehuphalump said:
I see that now, my bad, I misread the TCM article is for Hard sided campers and not the pop ups. Darn my dad blasted old eyes!
Fire trucks are returning to the station :) There is a lot to digest. Don't feel bad. Several of these posts, while interesting to read, are so far above my head that at times I see the sky spinning above me.

Does anyone else have a weight of a Fleet shell? One of the posters above said 675. The FWC website says a Fleet shell weighs 875.

My basic Hawk weighed in at 1194# according to the sheet from FWC. I'd really like to cut some weight and considering a Fleet or Hawk shell.

Thanks!

My Fleet Shell (2017) with battery and battery box, cushions, nothing else comes in around 760 lbs on a truck scale. FWC tag says 660 empty.

Josh,
FWC empty means BASE weight with NO options. I assume they are building them with the propane box next to the door. Don't know if the mini-tower cabinet is installed on top of the box as a standard feature. Ask Roy or one of the sales folks at the factory to answer your question.

Update June 2017

Reweighed it. Modified Shell weight 1,125 pounds

The 2012 Eagle shell base weight 595 pounds dry Adding factory options: aux battery, fantastic fan, front lifters, Fiamma awning, screen door, hydraulic jacks(100 pounds - removed), And custom changes: Engle mt - 35 fridge, two cabinets, sink, counter, couch, porta- potty, 150 watt roof solar panel, empty dry food box, single burner stove, folding garbage can, sliding drawers. pushes the empty weight up 525 pounds......Total wet weight (food, water, gear) plus truck full tank fuel for a week in the desert - 6,000 pounds

Grandby loaded for 2 weeks backcountry stay for me and the beagle on a Ram 2500 4 X 4:

grandby weight.jpg

jim

Put my rig on the Cat scales at the new truck stop down the street last week.

'06 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Megacab SRW with '10 Hawk/fully optioned/full water tank/no jacks = 9100lbs (no driver). Next time I have the camper off I'm going to weigh the truck.

img_173521_0_d76ff546d5f933969a600d4efa422c5f.jpg

Cool pic JaSAn
I need/want to see what ours is. I'm thinking we're close to the 10k the trucks sticker is for GVRW
Russ

I think the truck was 7330 full of fuel and the wife and I. Camper data tag is 1240 dry. Leaves about 1240 for Charlie and his food :)

Russ

DYNOBO, I had a gray megacab like yours and I think it weighed 7600 lbs. with no camper. Mitch

Back
Top Bottom