Hawk front dinette -- can 4 fit if water tank compartment is removed?

Big Steve

Advanced Member
Longtime FWC owner here. We just sold our well-loved 2000 Hawk, which I acquired in 2004, and will be ordering a new upgraded Hawk in the next week or so.

Looking to get the front dinette. I have seen this thread re seating for 2 but no-go for 4: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8845-british-columbian-looking-to-get-a-hawk/

My question: AFAICT, only 2 can fit in a Hawk front dinette because the placement of water tank compartment eliminates quite a bit of leg room. Does anyone have an opinion re whether removing the water tank compartment would result in enough seating room for 4? 90% of our use will be for two, but we occasionally invite friends after a day of skiing, hiking or running.

Notes: We virtually never used the water tank in our 2000 Hawk. We used the ol' Hawk quite a bit in winter (base for backcountry skiing and lift skiing) and didn't want the lines to freeze. Once weaned from the tank for winter use, we continued to use a bottle or bladder for our water year round. Also note that we would likely use the camper stock before I'd consider whacking out the water tank compartment, i.e., I'll eventually figure this out on own but I'd appreciate the views of my fellow forum members.

Thanks!

Big Steve
Seattle

Heh. I'm BIG (6'1", 245) compared to the cross section of people who do what I do, e.g., backcountry ski, run ultramarathons, but my breadth is likely closer to the norm of this group. And my SO is a very fit athletic size 6 -- and she'll be sitting on my side when we have visitors.

I have a friend that sounds a lot like you (size and activities). Everybody underestimates him till he leads a 5.12 climbing route or drops a gnarly ski descent with out a hesitation. One night when 3 of us were crammed into a three person mountaineering tent (think comfortable 2 person tent) he came up with the saying, "I'm not too big, your personal space bubble is to big."

So my question. How good of friends are they?

^^ valid

I've almost got you beat Steve, 6'4" 230 here. I consider myself fit too since I beat 95% of my subordinates in the squadron in their 20's (less than half my age) at the annual USAF fitness test!

3 adults at a time is the max in our Hawk.

YRMV

FTR, I once was 6' 2"+ but the years of carrying backpacks on high routes for 20+ years has squashed my spine a bit. Kolockum, I've never climbed 5.12 but used to lead plenty o' mid-5th alpine routes.

Back to the topic, yeah, 3 in a Hawk is full up, although I've crammed in 6 -- 2 in the bed, 3 on the bench, 1 hopped up on the sink -- for beers after a ski tour.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll run into you blokes on the road one of these days.

I have a front dinette Grandby. The floorplan is identical to the Hawk front dinette, I think, with the entire difference in length removed from the length of the cushions ,(and also foot space and under-seat storage). The water tank thickness is 10.5". So that is how much seatring area you would add, if you could eliminate the water tank. The table swivel is mounted to the framing around the water tank, so you 'might' also lose the swivel, unless it could be mounted to the camper front wall.

I don't know for sure what the Hawk vs. Grandby length is - but for reference, the raised foot space on mine is 36" front to rear, and the cushions are about 47" front to rear.

Back
Top Bottom