Hawk - Just about Perfect for me

mtnman

Advanced Member
I just returned from by 3rd trip with my new to me 2008 Hawk, and felt compelled to share a few thoughts. After spending a total of six nights, two solo and four with my 14 year old son, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Northern CA, I could not be more pleased with my purchase. I had been passively researching pop-up campers for a couple of years, and quickly narrowed my focus to the Four Wheel brand, due mainly to the light weight and rugged construction of these campers. I was looking for something to fill the gap between a self-contained travel trailer used for full family of five outings, and a wall tent used for extended remote hunting trips. I needed something more mobile, that would be comfortable and easily handled for solo hunting and fishing trips, and for trips with my son, or one hunting buddy. I have found the perfect set-up.

New or Used: My budget would not justify the expense of a new Four Wheel camper, so I started the daunting task of trying to locate a very nice, near new used Hawk. After roughly six months of constant looking (using Crazedlist search engine and other on-line methods), and having numerous campers sold before I could even inquire about them, I finally found mine - a 2008 Hawk that had only been used about 6 nights, almost fully loaded for $12K. I saved roughly $4K over new. For those of you who think it can’t be done, just be patient, diligent, know the details of what you want, make use of digital photos, and be prepared to make an offer and seal the deal on the first phone call. Hopefully you will find a seller as honest and as a much of a genuine good person as I did, who will take a verbal handshake from you when his phone is ringing off the hook with inquiries. I only had to drive 6 hours to pick mine up, so I was lucky!

Hawk or Grandby: My truck is a 2007 Silverado HD Duramax with short bed. I entertained buying a Grandby, since there seemed to be a number of them available on the used market. I decided that since I will tow a utility trailer with ATV, and sometimes my horse trailer on trips with my camper, I did not want to mess around with hitch extensions and possibly endure handling anomalies. The Hawk has turned out to be a great choice. The Hawk has sufficient room for my purpose, and I really like not having the extra length of camper extending past the bed of my truck and getting in the way.

Mounting for 2007 and newer Silverado: My Hawk was originally made for a 2004 extra short bed Ford F150. The camper pack is made plenty tall for the bed sidewalls, but does not allow for the radius tailgate openings on the newer Silverado. The choice is to either build a platform to raise the camper approximately 1”, or notch the camper pack base to accommodate the radius on each side. I did not want my camper to sit any taller than it already does, so I chose to notch. With careful measurements, and advice from others on this forum who have done it, I accomplished a perfect job.

Must have options (This is of course a very personal subject): My Hawk came with the following options: extended queen bed, furnace, 3 Cu’ refrigerator / freezer, hot water heater / outside shower, screen door, florescent lights, camper jacks and aux battery. I retrofitted with a Fantastic Fan (per instruction on this forum – easy job). I would not be without any of these options. The furnace is simply awesome to take the chill off. The Fantastic Fan is a must when cooking inside. I BBQ outside, but all other cooking is done on the cook top. That’s what it’s for ;) I don’t want to mess with taking an “extra” camp stove for outside cooking. The 3 Cu’ refrigerator allows me to not have to worry about ice – a big deal if out for extended trips in the back woods. Hot water is just plain nice when camping in cold weather. What I don’t have and don’t miss is a roof rack. I can’t see wanting to put anything on the roof. You would need to unload it every time you pop the top up or down, and I want to move camp fast. Being able to set and break camp quickly and easily is a priority for me. Otherwise, I’d be camping in my wall tent.

Who would want a Four Wheel Camper: As hard as it is to buy a nice used Four Wheel Camper, there are still quite a few people laying down some serious cash for new ones, to only use them a few times and then sell. This had me a little concerned. I now know why this happens. After using my camper for three trips, I am convinced that my Hawk fills the specific camping niche that I was looking for. It is perfect for my needs. I can take it into remote places and I hardly know it is on the back of my truck. It is quick to set-up and take-down, and it is plenty comfortable for me. I’m certain it will keep me comfortable on long elk hunts in cold and wet conditions, and it is easy to use for weekend fishing trips. It fills the void between primitive camping, large wall tent elk camps, and fully self-contained, spacious RV’ing.

Who would not want a Four Wheel Camper (my opinion of course :)): If you want to camp for any extended number of days with more than two people, this is not the rig for you. If you need huge amounts of living and storage space, this is not the rig for you. If you are not somewhat physically agile, (getting in and out of this camper, especially if your truck sits fairly tall, is a challenge), this may not be the camper for you. If you don’t like getting up and going outside to use the restroom, this is likely not the camper for you.

What would I change / add: I think I’ll want an arctic pack for better insulation in colder weather. A few of the nights on my trips so far have dipped down to freezing temps and I’ve seen a little snow. Using the furnace a little has kept things very comfortable, and a decent sleeping bag makes nights toasty. If the temps were in the teens, I think I’d want a tad more insulation. I’ll likely be making my own arctic pack; unless one of you has a stock pack you don’t use and would like to make me a deal on :) I need to do some modifications to make some of the cupboard doors more secure while traveling rough roads. On real bumpy roads when I have heavy items stored in the kitchen cupboards or the small storage bins over the couch, the doors have opened and my “stuff” has fallen out. I’ll come up with a smart and simple remedy for this.

BTW, did I forget to say that I love my Hawk :D

Roof rack is no problem

I took my 4WheelCamper to Alaska and having a roof rack was required. It was no problem getting the roof up with a rack plus stuff on the roof. I even have a bad back and was able to always get the roof up with little effort. I used the 8" camping pad roof lift system, that is a pad on top of my head and stand straight up for the lift at the door. I custom fitted my Hawk and you can sleep sideways at the front of the camper so I literally stand on the bed area and lift the front portion of the roof. I typically carried 2-5 gallon cans of gas and my thule case up top. Now I kept light stuff in the case but with two dogs, two of us and 2 months of travel from hot to cold, it was required. During winter I always put my thule on top with snowboards, boots skis, and polls.

5-Speed, I knew I would get other opinions ;) Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience with the roof rack. I'm sure there is a lot of utility to having one. Are you ever concerned with the structural integrity of the roof by having that extra weight up there while traveling rough roads? I've also wondered about the possibility of excess wear on the vinyl sidewall material where it rolls under the roof at the sidewalls around the full perimeter of the roof. Do you notice any issues?

Heavy Roof

I will admit I probably have carried too much on the roof, I had 2 - 5.5 gals of gas in a wooden rack box that probably weighed 30 lbs plus a Thule case that was stuffed full a few times, not something i am proud of but I needed the extra space. I always used the gas ASAP but when we drove the Haul Road to Deadhorse AK it is over 500 miles and only one stop which we skipped. I always double check that all top edges are tucked inside and by lowering slow the bungies pull the top inside so that is no problem. The top will have a slight bow when loaded but is flat when unloaded. I normally don't have anything up on the top except the Thule Rails I put up there and something the cross bars but when I need to carry extra stuff I put it up there. My wooden box that holds the 2 gas cans is a nice addition. Having the extra 11 gallons of gas is very helpful and when empty probably only adds 40 pounds up top and this isn't really anything. I have carried gas inside vehicles and have never found a can that doesn't have the smell of gas. I hate that smell so keeping it outside was logical and if we go skiing the box up top with just some snowboarding and skiing gear isn't that heavy plus those long things are just a plain pain inside the camper.

You can see my cans up top

In my picture you can see my gas carrier on the roof.

Rough roads

I know the Haul Road isn't totally all dirt and rock but there and back is a little over 1000 miles and it is rough, I think that the term gravel should not be used, more like crushed large rock so anything on top didn't change or harm anything.

mtnman,

I live just up the road from you. I"m curious where you went? I'm always looking for nice places in the local mountains to go. I spent an evening at Sawmill Lake on friday and it was gorgeous! It was a quick trip as I had to be back on Saturday.

Glad you are liking your Hawk. They are nice campers.

-steve

40 lbs?

5Speed, you need to check your figures, 11 gallons of gas isn't 40 lbs, more like 69 lbs plus weight of cans and your box.. I'd be reluctant to put a couple 5+ gallon cans on my roof. I've mounted a 5 gallon Sceptor military can on the back of the camper and carry one inside the camper if necessary. Sceptor cans don't leak, so they don't smell. I'll use the can inside first, then store the empty on the roof.

Attachments

• Scepter.jpg
    Scepter.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 697
we use a 5 gal chemical toilet at night. Modern chemicals don't stink, in my opinion.

Great overview!

Can holder

I use those same can holders to hold two 5 gallon water cans on the back of my atv trailer. They are very sturdy.

Attachments

• water_can.jpg
    water_can.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 432
40 pounds wasn't the weight of the gas

5Speed, you need to check your figures, 11 gallons of gas isn't 40 lbs, more like 69 lbs plus weight of cans and your box.. I'd be reluctant to put a couple 5+ gallon cans on my roof. I've mounted a 5 gallon Sceptor military can on the back of the camper and carry one inside the camper if necessary. Sceptor cans don't leak, so they don't smell. I'll use the can inside first, then store the empty on the roof.

I thought I said the rack and the box I built was 40 lbs plus the gas, I wasn't giving a weight of the gas and I use the older Rubbermaid gas cans that have a nice low profile. I once in my life had a gas can leak inside the back of a pick-up and it was a problem of the major kind, just a small leak, actually a puncture of the can and the fumes inside were really bad, don't know if it would have exploded but just the smell took forever to go away. This is the same reason I will never have propane inside my camper. We were going to live in a house that is now gone, only the foundation is left and yes, it was a propane explosion from a leakproof system, good thing no one was home. We have -10 down bags plus when it gets colder a down comforter if needed. Gas inside doesn't agree with me.

Hey Deltarat

Did you have the rear wall reinforced to carry the weight of that can holder? I know someone here had the wall specially built, but I think it was on an ATC.

Steve, I think I saw you at Sawmill

Steve,
This is too funny. My son and I were out for two nights. On Thursday night we made a quick camp along HWY 89, before fishing a number of creeks in the Jackson Meadows area on Friday. Late Friday afternoon we made our way toward Bowman and camped in Canyon Creek CG, just up the road from Sawmill. We fished Canyon Creek on Sat morning and pulled out late morning. I glanced back into Sawmill while driving out and I think I saw your rig. In fact, I think I saw you looking my way. Was that you?

Steve,
This is too funny. My son and I were out for two nights. On Thursday night we made a quick camp along HWY 89, before fishing a number of creeks in the Jackson Meadows area on Friday. Late Friday afternoon we made our way toward Bowman and camped in Canyon Creek CG, just up the road from Sawmill. We fished Canyon Creek on Sat morning and pulled out late morning. I glanced back into Sawmill while driving out and I think I saw your rig. In fact, I think I saw you looking my way. Was that you?

Wow! What a wacky coincidence! I was at Sawmill Lake friday and had to leave Sat to get to my son's baseball game. What a small world! I had never been to this lake. Marc Wassman (www.xpcamper.com) camps here often and invited me along. What a beautiful camp spot! I'll definitely be back soon for a longer stay.

I"m not sure I remember seeing a truck with a Hawk. It was a little tricky getting back up to the road, so I may have been thinking real hard!

-steve

Did you have the rear wall reinforced to carry the weight of that can holder? I know someone here had the wall specially built, but I think it was on an ATC.

Ed,
I removed the ice box, drilled the mounts through the camper frame, and backed the whole thing with a 20" X 14" sheet of 3/16 aluminum plate. With 5 gallons of diesel in the can, I can stand on it, and it doesn't move. I guess the real test was the washboard road to race track during DV ralley...no sign of movement, stress, or any problems to date.

New style AT can holders

The new AT can holders won't fit the Sceptre cans. They are making them a bit narrower the fit the Wedco line off cans. Check before you order.
Dsrtrat

hey mtnman

I saw you on the road to Sawmill Lake, you were parked off the road. We rode by on our quads and a whole pack of Rhinos. That road to Sawmill is a awesome place to camp, alot of nice country to ride quads and utvs. Good luck with your new camper, by the way, I really like my new Hawk as well. Next time you should go up the road further and check the higher elevation lakes.

Back
Top Bottom