Hawk on a Tundra

FairfaxFWC

Advanced Member
I just weighed my truck...again...and unloaded and dry I'm at my 2006 Tundra DC's GVWR of 6600 lbs. What this means is that...besides obsessing about a new 1 Ton truck...whick I don't want to spend $50k (at least) on...when I am fully loaded I am running 600 - 800 lbs over the GVWR of my truck. Now...I see pictures on this and many other sites of my truck with MUCH heavier campers, including many hard sided ones, Northstars, and others. There is no way any of these rigs are even close to the weight rating when loaded. So...does this mean that Toyota is really conservative with it's weight ratings, or do many others, including me, just risk really potentially overloading their trucks and hope for the best?

My truck does handle the weight fairly well, but I have "E" rated tires, a sway bar, Bilstein 5100's and airbags...so this helps alot.

Any and all input, especially from others with similar rigs, is much appreciated. How have your trucks held up over time with this weight? Have you ever felt unsafe while running many hundreds of pounds above the GVWR?

Thanks!

When I bought my 2011 Tundra and was doing the calculations for a Grandby, I talked to my dealer about GVWRs. He 'off the record' stated the ratings were quite conservative. He said almost everyone he knew exceeded the limit at one time or another. When I asked how GVWRs were calculated, he admitted he did not know the details but that it was 'quite complex'. To me this all adds up to a lot of uncertainty. If the stated number is conservative, what is the real 'safe' limit.

My brother carries a Northstar on his 2005 Tundra. He weighed it on a recent trip and found he was 800 lbs over GVWR. This was loaded. He does have air springs and 'D' rated tires. He is comfortable driving this rig on the highway. Crosswinds are not a serious issue nor is swaying. I've followed him for a couple of thousand kilometers and seen nothing that looks unsafe. That being said, he admits he wouldn't take it serious offroading and he is looking at other camper options including FWC to reduce his load.

Does this help your out? I doubt it. The published GVWR may be conservative but there appears to be nothing else but experience as a guide to set your comfort limit. And maybe that is a good way to go. Just use your experience.

As a side note a Ford F250 gas engine truck has a pretty big payload and you could probably pick up a new one end of season for about 30k. Just clarifying the 50k remark - no need to spend that much to get a bigger payload.

Can't say I've driven over the scales loaded with my 06 AC Tundra and Hawk, but it rides fine for me. I can pass slow guys (diesels pulling Rubicon rigs up to Loon Lake) and corner pretty well too.

I've done air bags and E rated tires, plus a sway bar which may have been overkill. I know today I could do 30 mph switch-back turns on pavement at 35-40mph and not lean too much :p On bouncy, rocky terrain I go slower and air down the tires, and it rides pretty well then too. Gene has made the point that braking is probably a weak point and on that I'm agreed. :eek:

From the research I have done, it is okay to exceed the GVWR a little but do not treat your Tundra like a 1 ton.

I know that is vague, and you need to decide what "a little over GVWR" is. But I hope it helps. Also keep in mind that most cars will be over GVWR with a couple people packed for a trip.

I think your biggest problem is you're looking at it like a black/white situation and asking where it will really fail and that isn't something so clear cut. Vehicles are designed with a certain lifespan in mind and they build the design so on average it will last that long while staying in the specifications of the vehicles. That is part of the GVWR deal. Designs are going to have some safety factors in them so for a bit after the GVWR you're likely going to see little effect, for a ways more you'll start working components more and have reduced performance (esp. brakes) which may lesson you're vehicle component lifespan, continue that trend onward and amplify it to finally you'll get rapid failures.

I suspect most major 1/2T brands are going to design their vehicles to handle a 2000lb load for a short term while trying to avoid major damage. This helps protect the vehicle from an unaware consumer that has a pallet of something at the hardware store (often weighing 1T) or a load of dirt dumped into the back of their truck. It may squat quite a bit w/o airbags but will probably limp home decently and life would tend to go on. This is just my suspicion/opinion.

Personally I burn fuel pellets in the winter which come on 1T pallets and I pick them up in my dodge 1500 (while running E rated tires and 70psi in my airbags), it doesn't really squat with the airbags pumped up. However I'm only going a couple miles home and take it easy, I can feel the difference in weight between that load and my camper. It definitely feels like it works the trans & brakes harder and not something I'd do regularly. If my rig wasn't set up the way it is for the camper I suspect the truck would be sitting close to the stock bumpstops and headlights pointing up. :p

Hi
My 2003 Tundra does everything including 4wd mt passes with our Kestral FWC. I added a extra leaf which made all the difference.

Thanks again to all for the great insights!

As always, very helpful and informative.

I'll live with the truck for now, try to count every ounce, and look to get a 1 ton in a few years.

Maybe Toyota will have one by then...but I'm not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom