Hawk on a Utility Trailer - It can be done!

esimmers

Mostly just to see if it can be done, I tried out my Hawk on my 5X8 utility trailer with a 3,500 axle. Here are some pictures.

The sides of the trailer are about 7 inches higher than my truck so I made a frame from 2x8s and joist hangers so the trailer would be supported from the bottom as well. There are bolts in the trailer bed to hold the camper down. I needed to add an eight-inch or so piece of chain to the turnbuckles to reach all the way to the trailer floor.

The front camper bumpers are about 15 inches back from the front of the trailer so there's a 2x4 brace holding the trailer in place.

Clearance for the cab overhang isn't too bad since I use a Softopper <www.softopper.com>. It's only in the most extreme cornering that there's and interference between the truck canopy and the camper overhang. In a pinch, all I'd have to do is to unclip the rear strap of the Softopper and tip it forward to clear any possible cornering interference.

I haven't weighed the tongue weight of the trailer with the camper on it. Fully loaded, the camper could weigh as much as 1800 pounds. The trailer itself weighs about 750 pounds. The center of gravity is clearly well forward of the trailer axle and the tongue weight is obviously more that the minimum 10-15% of total weight that always must be the tongue weight. My F-250 barely notices the tongue weight, whatever it is.

Like I said, I did this just to see if it would work. It clearly does but hauling a camping trailer is a completely different beast that putting a camper on a truck. Advantages and disadvantages either way.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see what I did.

Attachments

• 1 Trailer and truck.jpg
    1 Trailer and truck.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 3 Wood frame.jpg
    3 Wood frame.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 4 Loading.jpg
    4 Loading.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 5 Interference.jpg
    5 Interference.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 6 Truck and Trailer 2.jpg
    6 Truck and Trailer 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 216
Inventive...what is the tongue weight? And, not that you can do it now, but a longer tongue length [5'] would allow tighter turns without hitting the camper with the truck..how does it handle irregular road surfaces, bounce?

Definitely outside the box thinking!

Phil

Nice!

My only worry would be times when the trailer and truck are both pitched up at the ends, such as entering a steep driveway or crossing a washout. Looks like the fwc could smash into the topper?

Tongue weight; weight distribution within trailer and CG will affect how stable this is when towing and under heavy braking. And without a responsive active suspension system in trailer, this combo will jolt around on anything but very smooth pavement...I have no idea what the results will be..also your Hawk looks like it is kitted out and not a shell, so I suspect the guessed at the "fully loaded" 1,800 lbs is quite low...Since you know the weight of the trailer, weigh the combo and then determine the tongue weight as a % of total.

Not an expert in this but the stability would be my concern; even with the hitch extension that WS mentioned...also, just me, I would remove the jacks, they are just waiting to get hung up or struck..

Again, a novel approach...but why not put camper in truck and tow trailer for anything you have planned to carry in truck? Good luck.

We love our setup - hawk on a flatbed off-road trailer. So many advantages over the other trailers folks are using I am really surprised more folks aren’t doing this.

fireball said:
We love our setup - hawk on a flatbed off-road trailer. So many advantages over the other trailers folks are using I am really surprised more folks aren’t doing this.
Novel idea to be certain...but for myself and I suspect others who buy FWC the intent was to go without a large camper or trailer which expands where we can travel...can you post photos?

I have posted this pic here in the past, taken during 2009's BitD Vegas to Reno Desert Race. It was towed by the Full Size Bronco next to it.

i-3bLTzR4-L.jpg

We keep the Hawk on the flatbed trailer and tow it behind our Land Cruiser 95% of the time. My work truck is a Tundra so it's nice to be able to swap b/w both. We do a lot of off roading and with a small family it's nice to drop the trailer and base camp.

Obviously many folks like the truck camper. My comment above was that the "hawk on a trailer" seems to be a great option when compared to the other off road trailers folks are using. The teardrop, the utility trailer with expanding fold over tent, etc. The FWC is just so quick and easy and we love having it on the flatbed!

IMG_6109.JPG

fireball said:
We keep the Hawk on the flatbed trailer and tow it behind our Land Cruiser 95% of the time. My work truck is a Tundra so it's nice to be able to swap b/w both. We do a lot of off roading and with a small family it's nice to drop the trailer and base camp.

Obviously many folks like the truck camper. My comment above was that the "hawk on a trailer" seems to be a great option when compared to the other off road trailers folks are using. The teardrop, the utility trailer with expanding fold over tent, etc. The FWC is just so quick and easy and we love having it on the flatbed!

attachicon.gif
IMG_6109.JPG

Nicely done! And that trailer looks very capable..oh, you pup is a beauty! :D

fireball said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_6109.JPG
That's really cool. I have a FJ40 and have considered doing this---wondering if there is room for a dirt bike under the overhang :)

I’ve got a 40 also and doubt it would tow a setup like this very well unless you use a super lightweight trailer.

My setup fully loaded with water and gear for a family of four is 3,300lbs with 400lbs of tongue weight.

The 100 doesn’t exactly love towing it, but does just fine all while getting 6-8mpg!

Above trailer looks like an AT Overland deck model if I'm not mistaken. That would be a great little base for a trailer mounted FWC.

Since I started this thread I thought I'd get back to everyone with my experience this last year with my Hawk on my 5'X8' Eagle Lightspeed trailer.

<https://www.eagletrailermfg.com/eagle-trailers>

The trailer runs on 15" wheels, weighs 850 pounds and has a gross vehicle weight rating of 2990 pounds. With my Hawk fully loaded, I estimate it weighed close to 1500 pounds so, with the weight of the trailer added, I was under the GVWR. The rig towed easily; I just had to be careful when backing up not to turn so hard that the front of the trailer overhand contacted the back of my truck canopy. Driving forward was no problem.

It was great to be able to park the camper and drive away with my truck. So great, in fact, that my wife and I are going to get a small fifth-wheel trailer and probably will sell the Hawk. I'm sorry to do that but we're both getting to the age where climbing up and down into the over-cab bed multiple times a night is just no fun.

If you have any other questions, send me a private message and I'll be glad to respond.

Back
Top Bottom